how to stop a DDOS attack?

Cookiecrumbles222

hey, guys so I hang out with a group of friends that I speak with often. and one of them know how to grab my IP and use a stress tester website to ddos it, how can I stop him from ddosing me? he doesn't know any code or networking he is just simply using a website to ddos me, changing my IP won't do anything because he can grab my IP when he wants to do to the Teamspeak server we are in (i own this server), and my IP is static as well so I cant change it. I believe he is doing it on port 80 as well because that's usually what these sites use. (i dont know the site) thanks for any help guys!

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

hey, guys so I hang out with a group of friends that I speak with often. and one of them know how to grab my IP and use a stress tester website to ddos it, how can I stop him from ddosing me? he doesn't know any code or networking he is just simply using a website to ddos me, changing my IP won't do anything because he can grab my IP when he wants to do to the Teamspeak server we are in (i own this server), and my IP is static as well so I cant change it. I believe he is doing it on port 80 as well because that's usually what these sites use. (i dont know the site) thanks for any help guys!

Just threaten him (police and stuff) or getter a faster internet ( can handle more packets)

subscribe to pewdiepie

Technically no information or server is 100% secure on the internet, as everything is connected somehow, so in terms, there is nothing you can do to stop it other than don't interact with him if you don't want him to do that.  

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

Contact you ISP and tell them about it. Then your so call "friend" will be meet with 2 men dress in black suit knocking on his front door.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

Tell them to stop and work with your ISP to block any packets being sent from that site?  Maybe also look into legal action considering they are impacting your Internet access and are probably also increasing your data usage.  Can you honestly say that someone who is doing this is a friend, especially if you ask them to stop?

1 minute ago, WMGroomAK said:

Tell them to stop and work with your ISP to block any packets being sent from that site?  Maybe also look into legal action considering they are impacting your Internet access and are probably also increasing your data usage.  Can you honestly say that someone who is doing this is a friend, especially if you ask them to stop?

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Contact you ISP and tell them about it. Then your so call "friend" will be meet with 2 men dress in black suit knocking on his front door.

6 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

Technically no information or server is 100% secure on the internet, as everything is connected somehow, so in terms, there is nothing you can do to stop it other than don't interact with him if you don't want him to do that.  

7 minutes ago, Merp83 said:

Just threaten him (police and stuff) or getter a faster internet ( can handle more packets)

hes not my friend, he just hangs out with my friends, he live in the uk and i live in the us so legal action isant possilbe, and my isp is terrible so that wont be able to help with much its comcast and  they suck here

Although not bulletproof, you should try a VPN. However, for most of them -the good ones, at least- you've gotta pay.

Hue hue hue.

Do a TCP dump at your router level if possible, inspect the packets being received and hope that there is some form of correlation in the IP addresses. If they're all within the same address range you can just block that entire range and you should be OK. If not then you're probably looking at fake originating addresses which besides asking your ISP to help you can't do much.

Good luck!

Bespoke Software Engineer

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Just now, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

hes not my friend, he just hangs out with my friends, he live in the uk and i live in the us so legal action isant possilbe, and my isp is terrible so that wont be able to help with much its comcast and  they suck here

Contact them to change your static IP address, and don't use team speak anymore or don't let that person know about it. If they won't budge, cancel your service and go with someone else.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Just now, KuJoe said:

Get better friends and stop sharing your IP publicly. These are literally the only solutions.

is there not a way to diable pings from a single source somehow, he only uses one site, thoe i dont know its name

1 minute ago, sevablue said:

Although not bulletproof, you should try a VPN. However, for most of them -the good ones, at least- you've gotta pay.

This would not be effective as the IP address has already been found. However to prevent this from happening in the future a VPN would help to some degree.

Laptop: MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015) - 8GB RAM - Intel Core i5 1.6GHz - Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

DesktopGAMEMAX Onyx - AMD FX6300 Black Edition 6 Core (Overclocked to 4.1GHz) - GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Overclocked - MSI NVIDIA GTX 750Ti Gaming 1085MHz - HyperX Savage 8 GB 1866 MHz DDR3 - MSI 970 Gaming - Corsair CP-9020015-UK - Kingston SSDNow UV400 120 GB Solid State Drive

Ban his ass from your life and TS. Hopefully doing it will get old and he stops. Or flip the script and recruit your friends to use the same tactic he's using on you.

is there not a way to diable pings from a single source somehow, he only uses one site, thoe i dont know its name

Nope. There is no way to stop a DDoS attack on a residential IP once the attacker knows your IP address. You can try to fool them, but that's mostly blind luck and not an actual solution.

-KuJoe

Just now, Strayuru said:

This would not be effective as the IP address has already been found. However to prevent this from happening in the future a VPN would help to some degree.

i dont wan to use a vpn because it would slow my internet down too muh but thanks thoe!

1 minute ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

Ban his ass from your life and TS. Hopefully doing it will get old and he stops.

wish i could but his friends are my friends so they dont want him gone its a terrible situation

Step 1: Move all of your servers to external servers (preferably with DDoS protection).

Step 2: Don't connect to anything that will leak your home IP to your "friends".

Step 3: Call your ISP and have them change your IP address if you can't reset it yourself.

-KuJoe

2 minutes ago, Cookiecrumbles222 said:

i dont wan to use a vpn because it would slow my internet down too muh but thanks thoe!

Read my other comment. Another possible option if you have a dynamic IP address would be to request a new one. Some ISP provided routers have this option in them or you could try turning your router off for a few minutes and plugging it back in - sometimes this forces the ISP to assign you a new dynamic IP.

EDIT: Just saw you said your IP is static. Are you sure? Some ISPs say they are but lie. And still read my other post.

wish i could but his friends are my friends so they dont want him gone its a terrible situation

It sounds like none of them are really your friends. It's a shitty situation but if one "friend" it picking on you and your other "friends" are fine with it then you need to drop them all because they are just as bad as the one picking on you.

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

Step 1: Move all of your servers to external servers (preferably with DDoS protection).

Step 2: Don't connect to anything that will leak your home IP to your friends.

Step 3: Call your ISP and have them change your IP address if you can't reset it yourself.

1 the server is on an external server with ddos protection

2 i dont have a coice because to talk to my friends he will be there aswell

3 my isp cant change my ip too me 3 hrs on the phone to figure that out

thanks for the help thoe!

Just now, Strayuru said:

Read my other comment. Another possible option if you have a dynamic IP address would be to request a new one. Some ISP provided routers have this option in them or you could try turning your router off for a few minutes and plugging it back in - sometimes this forces the ISP to assign you a new dynamic IP.

cant get a dynamic ip i wish i could

1 the server is on an external server with ddos protection

2 i dont have a coice because to talk to my friends he will be there aswell

3 my isp cant change my ip too me 3 hrs on the phone to figure that out

thanks for the help thoe!

Switch to better, more secure software like Discord. It's free and it doesn't leak your IP address. Oh course, none of this matters if your ISP won't change your IP.

-KuJoe

cant get a dynamic ip i wish i could

Take a pcap/TCP Dump to find the source and block all requests via your firewall. This may need to be done at the router level.

Most "stress testers" will often just use the same port repeatedly, so dropping all connections to that should suffice.

ya they are shitty friends, but i just put up with it, they dont support him thoe

You're posting on a forum trying to find a solution, that is not "putting up with it". And yes, they do support his actions if they choose him over you.

-KuJoe