Upgrade options on Dell Optiplex SFF

Hi,

I am very soon faced with the option of buying a Dell Optiplex 3020 for a very cheap price (~$50).

I am looking into the possibility of upgrading it, but I am a bit concerned on how much I can upgrade and if it is worth buying it.

So, the model itself is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Desktop-Computer/dp/B00H7OVW2C

Now, the main thing I would like to upgrade is the GPU. From what I read, it could be possible to put a 1050tti low profile, but I don't know if the PSU can handle it and if I can really fit it in.

What are your guys' suggestions/opinions about it?

Is it worth buying? What upgrade possibilities are there for it?

I would use it mainly for gaming, hence the GPU update.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Rembrandt said:

Hi,

I am very soon faced with the option of buying a Dell Optiplex 3020 for a very cheap price (~$50).

I am looking into the possibility of upgrading it, but I am a bit concerned on how much I can upgrade and if it is worth buying it.

So, the model itself is this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-Desktop-Computer/dp/B00H7OVW2C

Now, the main thing I would like to upgrade is the GPU. From what I read, it could be possible to put a 1050tti low profile, but I don't know if the PSU can handle it and if I can really fit it in.

What are your guys' suggestions/opinions about it?

Is it worth buying? What upgrade possibilities are there for it?

I would use it mainly for gaming, hence the GPU update.

Thanks!

A low profile 1050ti should fit, it comes with a bracket to fit in a case like that.

Try and get 8GB of RAM for the system, as modern games run better with more RAM.

As for the PSU, get a 1050ti that doesn't need external PCI-e power, like this one:

(https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti-4GT-LP/Overview)

A low profile 1050ti will fit, it comes with the associated mounting hardware (PCIe bracket and screws). The 1050ti low profile GPUs draw their power directly from the PCIe slot on the motherboard which means it doesnt require an external 6 pin power connector, (I believe that they only draw 60W from the PCIe slot). Maybey upgrade to 8GBs of RAM and if you can afford it, a 120GB sata SSD will speed up boot times and loading times of games.

We use these at work, it's a tight fit inside, cooling is a big issue, so keep it in a cool place

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

The system already has 8 GB of ram, but I will probably upgrade to 16. And definitely an SSD.