What will my real world difference be like after these upgrades, if any?

Hey guys.. Currently using a I5 4460, gtx 1070 and 8gb of DDR3 ram.. just recently bought the GTX 1070 and noticed some severe bottlenecking in games especially when watching streams at the same time i can drop 40-50 fps easily and add discord ontop of that and i have a whole load of issues like terrible fps and discord being a little messy but that could just be my internet 

Anyway today i got tired and took a plunge, i ordered myself a I5 8400, 16gb of DDR4 ram and a brand new Z370 mobo in the hopes i no longer bottleneck my 1070

So my issue is this, i've looked up differences and i've seen the performance %'s but i have no clue what it all means.. what i've read is that the 4460 should have no issues with games and tasks like browsing etc but i still notice lag and hiccups through normal tasks like youtube, fullscreening videos and just general slow feelings from my pc now and again

is upgrade gonna be a massive difference in everyday tasks or will it all just be issues with the websites themselves and will i mainly see a change in my FPS in games and still have issus with watching streams at the same time?

You will definitely notice a difference going from the 4460 to the 8400. However, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense buying an 8400 right now due to the lack of cheaper motherboards. It's a locked chip, so a Z370 board isn't really needed. 

Gaming PC: i5 8600k @ 4.8GHz | 16GB T-Force Delta RGB @ 3200Mhz | Asus Prime Z370-A | Sapphire Radeon VII (Dead :( ), RX480 8GB | EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 | 120GB Sandisk SSD Plus, 120GB Kingston A400 | 4TB Seagate 7200RPM , 1TB WD Blue 7200RPM | Phanteks P400 Windows 10, MacOS Catalina

Second PC: i5 3340s @ 2.8GHz | 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1333MHz | EVGA 750Ti SC | Cheap £7 250GB WD HDD Windows 7

LaptopLate 2009 MacBook (Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 120GB SSD, 9400m, running Mojave) , Late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina (i5, 4GB Ram, 128GB SSD)

Consoles: Xbox One, PS4 Slim, PS3 slim, Xbox 360 fat still going strong after almost 10 years, Original Xbox, PS2, PS1

Phone: Realme 6, Xiaomi Mi A2, Xiaomi Redmi Note 4x, iPhone 6s (jailbroken)

Tablet: iPad Mini 2nd Gen Retina (Jailbroken)

Headphones:  Hifiman HE4xx, Phillips Fidelio X2, Status Audio CB-1,  Fiio E10k DAC, Schiit Magni 3+, Tin T2 IEM's, Astrotec S80

Keyboards:  2x Custom 60% - 1x Gateron Yellow, 1x Box Reds

Just now, Connor Price said:

You will definitely notice a difference going from the 4460 to the 8400. However, it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense buying an 8400 right now due to the lack of cheaper motherboards. It's a locked chip, so a Z370 board isn't really needed. 

Oh.. well sadly i already purchased the 8400 and a £130 z370 mobo for it.. i know i should have waited for cheaper boards to release because it cant be overclocked, but the truth is i was ready to buy a i5 7600k for a long time until my friend told me to about coffee lake and once i saw the 8400 i wanted it asap.. its abit of a waste i know but its also a one off :) 

You should notice a nice improvement to your everyday tasks, but a clean install is going to be the more effective and noticeable difference. I would opt for the 8600K rather than the 8400 or getting faster memory with the 8400. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, Smartiess said:

Oh.. well sadly i already purchased the 8400 and a £130 z370 mobo for it.. i know i should have waited for cheaper boards to release because it cant be overclocked, but the truth is i was ready to buy a i5 7600k for a long time until my friend told me to about coffee lake and once i saw the 8400 i wanted it asap.. its abit of a waste i know but its also a one off :) 

You should cancel the 8400 and get an 8600K for SURE. 

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

You should cancel the 8400 and get an 8600K for SURE. 

Im going to be using an Air 240 with a small Noctua CPU cooler that probably couldnt handle any type of overclocking for the 8600k, not to mention that im bad with computers so OC'ing isnt on my agenda, its also a £100 leap from the 8400 to the 8600k here in the UK at the moment and the 8400 does what i need and more at a very nice price :) 

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

You should notice a nice improvement to your everyday tasks, but a clean install is going to be the more effective and noticeable difference. I would opt for the 8600K rather than the 8400 or getting faster memory with the 8400. 

i ordered 16gb DDR4 HyperX 2666 RAM.. is that any good?

6 minutes ago, Connor Price said:

While I do agree with the advantage of 6 cores at a higher clock speed, your response, to me, seems to imply that switching from a Haswell chip to a Cofee Lake with the same specs will significantly improve the performance; a bit misleading. 

Just now, adithyay328 said:

While I do agree with the advantage of 6 cores at a higher clock speed, your response, to me, seems to imply that switching from a Haswell chip to a Cofee Lake with the same specs will significantly improve the performance; a bit misleading. 

Will it not improve the performance significantly?

Yeah, a switch from 8 gigs to 16, especially with the newer titles coming out, will assist in game. Personally, though, I would've stayed with the old platform and ONLY upgrade the RAM setup. Those are my 2 cents.

1 minute ago, Smartiess said:

Will it not improve the performance significantly?

The extra cores will, definitely. But not just the architecture change. That's what I meant. Sorry if it was confusing.

Yeah, a switch from 8 gigs to 16, especially with the newer titles coming out, will assist in game. Personally, though, I would've stayed with the old platform and ONLY upgrade the RAM setup. Those are my 2 cents.

I should have kept my i5 4460 and just got better ram? that seems odd, my cpu was hitting 100% on all 4 cores while i was playing games and watching streams

Just now, Smartiess said:

I should have kept my i5 4460 and just got better ram? that seems odd, my cpu was hitting 100% on all 4 cores while i was playing games and watching streams

Oh, your CPU was maxing? Ok, in that case, the new platform is justified.  Sorry, I didn't know that detail.

1 minute ago, adithyay328 said:

The extra cores will, definitely. But not just the architecture change. That's what I meant.

Understood but from benchmarks i've seen the 8400 has much faster single core power than the 4460 even at the same GHZ? or am i missing something 

Oh, your CPU was maxing? Ok, in that case, the new platform is justified.  Sorry, I didn't know that detail.

Yeah, not sure if its old or what not, but i was having issues where itd hit 99% in alot of games and all my cores were very high, to the point i would notice the games i play on my 1070 were 40-50fps lower than benchmarks i had seen

7 minutes ago, Smartiess said:

3000MHz RAM isn't much more expensive than 2666MHz. Return the RAM for the faster, if you can. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, Smartiess said:

Understood but from benchmarks i've seen the 8400 has much faster single core power than the 4460 even at the same GHZ? or am i missing something 

Um, those 2 CPUs have different clocks. Can you clarify what you mean by  "same GHZ"?

Just now, ARikozuM said:

3000MHz RAM isn't much more expensive than 2666MHz. Return the RAM for the faster, if you can. 

Sadly i got the ram a month or so ahead of time on another pay check so i could split the cost and not have to pay out so much upfront and now i cant send them back :(

would have saved yourself a whole lot of money going for just a i7-4790 (Non K, as I guess cause of the 4460 you don't have a Z97 Mb) guys here still running them with little to non bottlenecks. Hell My backup rig is a i7-3770 and its still kicking so much ass. 

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Um, those 2 CPUs have different clocks. Can you clarify what you mean by  "same GHZ"?

Well the 8400 has 2.8 base and i think it was 3.6-3.8ghz boost? My 4460 seems to run at a consistant 3.2 ghz but all the benchmarks show the 8400 single core performance to be miles ahead, does that mean the 8400 is always boosted and thats why its showing such a big increas over the 4460?

your improvements will make no big difference in everyday tasks but can help gaming and professional apps

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Yeah, not sure if its old or what not, but i was having issues where itd hit 99% in alot of games and all my cores were very high, to the point i would notice the games i play on my 1070 were 40-50fps lower than benchmarks i had seen

Naw, you're good. But, that's odd, since the older CPU you had, the 4460, has a HIGHER base clock than the new CPU. However, the new CPU has a much higher boost clock. If your games were using all 4 of your cores, I'm not sold on any performance enhancements provided by spreading out your CPU clocks.

Just now, Not_Sean said:

would have saved yourself a whole lot of money going for just a i7-4790 (Non K, as I guess cause of the 4460 you don't have a Z97 Mb) guys here still running them with little to non bottlenecks. Hell My backup rig is a i7-3770 and its still kicking so much ass. 

The mobo and 8400 came to around £300 the i7 -4790 is £300 alone?

Well the 8400 has 2.8 base and i think it was 3.6-3.8ghz boost? My 4460 seems to run at a consistant 3.2 ghz but all the benchmarks show the 8400 single core performance to be miles ahead, does that mean the 8400 is always boosted and thats why its showing such a big increas over the 4460?

Yes, single core performance will be better with the newer CPU, but if your workload uses a lot of cores, the advantage may not be that great since the extra cores are slower than the older CPU. However, I've never run a WS build myself, so everything I'm saying is in theory. Maybe someone else on this thread who has had a WS build can jump in and help out more than I can.

The mobo and 8400 came to around £300 the i7 -4790 is £300 alone?

LOL. Thanks, Intel, for BS pricing. The pricing above seems about right, the platform switch, as I said earlier, is just fine.