Possibility of unified RGB software?

MGsubbie

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to ask. But I was wondering if it's possible for someone to create a piece of software that works as a unified RGB control. As in, you can control and sync the lighting of every RGB-capable component inside your PC, regardless of the specific device or brand. Or at least, all the most popular devices.

Is this even theoretically possible, regardless of the amount of time it would take? If so, do you consider it plausible for something like that to come into fruition?

im sure there will be something open source for this, all that will be needed is the API's from each of the manufactures controllers

Intel Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4Ghz  Sapphire R9 290 Vapor X 4GB  |  Vengeance® K70 & M65  W10 Pro

Many manufacturer's are trying to make a standard for RGB, think Asus Aura, MSI Mystic Light, etc.

At this point, it's basically like this:

standards.png

In theory it should be possible, but I am sure most manufacturers want to lock you in their eco system, so that when you get Corsair RGB fans, you have to get their strip and controller too.. And some for all other manufacturers.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

It is technically possible, but no one is going to do it. Each company would have to give their APIs so that it could be done and that wont happen.

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

Many manufacturer's are trying to make a standard for RGB, think Asus Aura, MSI Mystic Light, etc.

At this point, it's basically like this:

standards.png

In theory it should be possible, but I am sure most manufacturers want to lock you in their eco system, so that when you get Corsair RGB fans, you have to get their strip and controller too.. And some for all other manufacturers.

That's exactly what I was thinking of and made me write this topic.

MSI has now added a Corsair RGB header to the Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon (and probably some other motherboards as well), which I believe will let me connect the RGB LED controller directly to it without needing a lighting pro. I could be mistaken though (and if I am, that would be quite a disappointment.) It also allows for pretty much any RGB LED strip. And I believe Mystic Lighting can take care of all of that.

If so, that would be a step in the right direction. The only thing that I wouldn't be able to control is my graphics card. Oh, my K95 RGB neither, which is weird as the Strafe is supported.

for motherboards this should be "easy", but what goes through the ones you plug into USB will be harder because they are bound to be compleatly diffrent from eachoer. RAM will be hard i would assume, because that took a coupple of years for even people like ASUS and G.Skill to properly do

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

• 2 months later...

There is Project Aurora but atm. its only supports periferals and it looks a little bit abandoned. I would also like to sync my keybord, mouse with the ASUS stuff onm my motherboard