will linux breath new life into this laptop?

i got given my fiancés old student laptop from 1 year or more ago and decided id try to use it to be a dedicated uploading system for when I finish editing content.

but I noticed something shitty about it. currently I'm always peaking 100% cpu usage, ive included a screen shot.  so I'm wondering do you think this Celeron 1.6ghz system can be saved using Linux so that I can continue to make some form of use of it?

shit.JPG

shit2.JPG

Faith: WIP

Cpu: intel 6700k

RAM: g.skill ripjaw v 3200mhz 16 18 18 38 2n 32gb 4x8gb

MB: Asrock extreme 7+

GPU: GTX 1080 TI Poseidon Platinum Asus ROG
PSU: Cougar 1050W 80+ gold

Case: IN WIN 509 ROG [ black red ]

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Absolutely. How much RAM do you have?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

8gb it shows in the pic

7 minutes ago, vESP said:

i got given my fiancés old student laptop from 1 year or more ago and decided id try to use it to be a dedicated uploading system for when I finish editing content.

but I noticed something shitty about it. currently I'm always peaking 100% cpu usage, ive included a screen shot.  so I'm wondering do you think this Celeron 1.6ghz system can be saved using Linux so that I can continue to make some form of use of it?

shit.JPG

shit2.JPG

Linux could help. Though by the looks of that Windows 10 is updating, which would explain the high CPU usage (it cripples my laptop's A8 4555M until the updates are done).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, aisle9 said:

was a 4gb system when she got it but we put in 8gb corsair value ddr3 ram, 1tb 5400rpm drive

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Linux can help, depends on what linux distro your looking to use. There would be a lot of preferences out there but lite linux and lubuntu (box based on ubuntu) should be light enough and still be easy to navigate around... if your feeling particularly adventurous you could try puppy linux but there are differing learning curves in doing more than just simple tasks

Just now, Aidanlockett1 said:

8gb it shows in the pic

Ah, tiny print. It's 1:30 AM, cut me some slack.

@vESP, an Ubuntu variant, perhaps Lubuntu or full-on Ubuntu 17.04, is calling your name. I'm a big fan of Lubuntu and Xubuntu for low-power/older systems.

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

Linux could help. Though by the looks of that Windows 10 is updating, which would explain the high CPU usage (it cripples my laptop's A8 4555M until the updates are done).

its not updating I just checked. I also set it to high performance mode but its still capping max cpu. although slightly less delayed

Just now, Joshndroid said:

if your feeling particularly adventurous you could try puppy linux but there are differing learning curves in doing more than just simple tasks

Puppy Linux saved my ancient Atom-powered ultra tiny build.

I mean, as much as anything can save a 2009-ish Atom.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

Ah, tiny print. It's 1:30 AM, cut me some slack.

@vESP, an Ubuntu variant, perhaps Lubuntu or full-on Ubuntu 17.04, is calling your name. I'm a big fan of Lubuntu and Xubuntu for low-power/older systems.

2 minutes ago, Joshndroid said:

Linux can help, depends on what linux distro your looking to use. There would be a lot of preferences out there but lite linux and lubuntu (box based on ubuntu) should be light enough and still be easy to navigate around... if your feeling particularly adventurous you could try puppy linux but there are differing learning curves in doing more than just simple tasks

I was trying many Linux over the years but gave up due to finding it confusing as hell, last attempt was arch. so I'm running a heavily cut down server 2016 os on my main rig.

ill give Ubuntu a go as I did try it man times over the years back in 09 to 2013 but stopped after the amazon additions and all that.

will post back.

Sounds like you need to clean install windows.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, vESP said:

I was trying many Linux over the years but gave up due to finding it confusing as hell, last attempt was arch. so I'm running a heavily cut down server 2016 os on my main rig.

ill give Ubuntu a go as I did try it man times over the years back in 09 to 2013 but stopped after the amazon additions and all that.

will post back.

Arch Linux is like going from basic algebra to trigonometry. I don't even mess with it yet.

Linux Mint is basically Linux Windows. It's very easy to use, very intuitive, and does a great job of replicating a Windows/Mac UI. It's probably my favorite distro, if we're being honest, because it's just so damn simple.

7 minutes ago, vESP said:

will post back.

I have tried a few but end up back at ubuntu based distros... Mainly because what i want to do most of the time (android building/server) tasks are easily achieved and can be done on a relatively light distro. Anything else, while fun for a little bit become mondane and annoying when you need to hit google/stackoverflow just to get day to day things working on your rig.

21 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Sounds like you need to clean install windows.

4 times already :)

Most Linux distributions such as Lubuntu and Xubuntu, are very light weight operating systems that dont use a lot of the systems resources and is a great OS for reviving low-powered/older systems.

That is a lot of times that you have reinstalled windows, Linux OS will definitely save the day. I had problems with my laptop as well, I only reinstalled the operating system once, and everything worked well after that.

1 minute ago, TheBeastPC said:

Most Linux distributions such as Lubuntu and Xubuntu, are very light weight operating systems that dont use a lot of the systems resources and is a great OS for reviving low-powered/older systems.

That is a lot of times that you have reinstalled windows, Linux OS will definitely save the day. I had problems with my laptop as well, I only reinstalled the operating system once, and everything worked well after that.

yea its not been 4 one after the other but ive tried everything short of a ssd and not really looking at that kind of cost. I think its some of the hp junk I cant seem to cut from the pc like a cancer

36 minutes ago, vESP said:

Have you deleted all the partitions during the installation process?

Did you let windows install updates immediately after installing? This can take several hours or even more than a day if you have a slow HDD that's dying.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

Have you deleted all the partitions during the installation process?

Did you let windows install updates immediately after installing? This can take several hours or even more than a day if you have a slow HDD that's dying.

yes I did delete and format the drive apon reinstallation and just let it sit unlocked with sleep mode off on a bench in one of the rooms for about 3 days while I was away for the weekend

3 minutes ago, vESP said:

yes I did delete and format the drive apon reinstallation and just let it sit unlocked with sleep mode off on a bench in one of the rooms for about 3 days while I was away for the weekend

Don't just "let it sit"...

You need to go into the settings and scan for windows updates, then let them install, then restart the PC and scan a second time because there will most likely be a few more.

Spoiler

17 hours ago, Enderman said:

Don't just "let it sit"...

You need to go into the settings and scan for windows updates, then let them install, then restart the PC and scan a second time because there will most likely be a few more.

I know how to install updates thank you. and ive scanned a few times and nothing is downloading, or pending to install. 

I know how to install updates thank you. and ive scanned a few times and nothing is downloading, or pending to install. 

Then post a screenshot of the task manager process that is using all your CPU.

Spoiler