What's wrong with my RX Vega?

marvin5881

My Vega 56 flashed to a 64 has been working perfectly for weeks. Until I decided to uninstall the driver I had installed and reinstall it.

It gives me a 1603 error after the install and I notice that everything but the AMD Display Driver and the HD Audio install correctly.

I've tried using Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, I've tried previous versions of AMD Drivers, I switched back to the backup flash on the card and it is still the same,

No program in windows recognizes the card whatsoever, games do not work. Does anyone one have any suggestions?

I attached a picture of what it looks like in device manager.

veganotworking.PNG

2 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

My Vega 56 flashed to a 64

Wait what you can do that?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Wait what you can do that?

Yes, you won't get more shaders doing it but your clock speeds will increase to the default Vega 64 clock speeds and your HBM will get more voltage allowing you to overclock it further.

Any suggestions for my issue?

Just now, marvin5881 said:

Yes, you won't get more shaders doing it but your clock speeds will increase to the default Vega 64 clock speeds and your HBM will get more voltage allowing you to overclock it further.

Oh, so kinda like an RX 480 > RX 580 flash.

did you originally install VEGA 56 drivers, then flash, then reinstall VEGA 64 drivers, or did you just flash right off the bat, and then install VEGA 64 drivers clean? maybe the driver installer has trouble on a "VEGA 64" with only 56 CUs

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

1 minute ago, marvin5881 said:

Buy a coffin, bury it in your backyard. It's brick. RIP

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Oh, so kinda like an RX 480 > RX 580 flash.

did you originally install VEGA 56 drivers, then flash, then reinstall VEGA 64 drivers, or did you just flash right off the bat, and then install VEGA 64 drivers clean? maybe the driver installer has trouble on a "VEGA 64" with only 56 CUs

Vega 56 and 64 drivers are the same, but I did flash while I had a driver installed and nothing happened until I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few weeks later

1 minute ago, marvin5881 said:

Vega 56 and 64 drivers are the same, but I did flash while I had a driver installed and nothing happened until I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few weeks later

Yeah, it probably just has trouble installing on a flashed VEGA 56. maybe unflashing, installing, then reflashing would help?

Desktop:

Laptop:

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Yeah, it probably just has trouble installing on a flashed VEGA 56. maybe unflashing, installing, then reflashing would help?

I've recently switched back to the 56 Bios using the switch on the card, I only modified 1 of the 2 VBIOS on the gpu. So as of right now I'm trying to install the drivers like the card was unmodified.

8 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Buy a coffin, bury it in your backyard. It's brick. RIP

Uninstalling drivers for a GPU and then having it magically brick would be a very interesting occurrence, wouldn't it? I think this is fixable tbh.

The problem is with my current installation of Windows as I tried it on another hard drive and it's working perfectly, does any one know how I could fix windows so it can allow drivers to be installed on my GPU correctly? I already tried DDU, any suggestions?

Makes a good doorstop now.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Purgent said:

Makes a good doorstop now.

I mean, it's less then a footlong and it still works. I just need to figure out what in windows is causing it not to work, I can't figure it out.

Had a similar issue with my brother’s gaming laptop. I tried reinstalling his Nvidea driver because it wouldn’t update. Turned out to be a directory issue. I replaced his HDD with an SSD hence reinstalling windows. 

My suggestion:

Install windows on a different drive and try it on that. 

Or if you don’t have a spare storage driver, I suggest backing up important files on an external storage device and then reinstalling windows.

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2015) || Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x299 Gaming 9 || CPU: Intel i7-7820x (38% OC- 5.00 GHz) || RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 8GB @ 3466 MHz (x4)- DDR4  || GPU: MSI  Geforce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning X || Storage: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 500GB || OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro || Chassis: Thermaltake The Tower 900 || Cooling Solution: Custom open loop water cooling system with a 560mm radiator and a CPU water water-block || Display: ROG Swift PG279Q || Pointing Device: Razer Mamba (2016) || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 || Headset: Astro A50 Wireless ||