Upgrading a friend's PC, goal is 500FPS in CSGO, upgrade budget of 600$

iamdarkyoshi
Go to solution Solved by iamdarkyoshi,

Well, for now, he said he'd like to upgrade to a GTX 1080 and then upgrade board/CPU later. So thats what we'll do. 

Current system has a GTX 650, an FX 4170, and 8GB of DDR3.

Our budget for new parts is 600$.

Here's the options I thought about:

Option 1. Just slap a GTX 1080 into it, being rather bottlenecked by the FX CPU, upgrading the rest later.

Option 2. Upgrade to ryzen and get a midrange nvidia card, which means buying a new CPU, RAM, Motherboard, and graphics card.

Option 3. Buy a used 4th gen (or older) intel CPU and motherboard, and getting a slightly higher end midrange card. This means I can reuse the DDR3 RAM

Or do something else.

I'm not a CSGO player, so I'm not sure what is needed to hit high framerates. What do you guys suggest?

Source games are CPU bound, you need a powerful gaming CPU like 7700K. However, to hit 500fps above you also need a powerful GPU

The best way is get a used Haswell i7+mobo and a used but decent GPU like GTX 970/980 (just my opinion)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Considering used 6700K/Mobo combos are going around for 300-350, that's not a bad idea. GTX 980s go for around 200. 

Just now, Cruorzy said:

Why 500 FPS tho, you don't win anything with it..

It matters in CSGO since the games has shuttering problem due to var/sv spikes

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

solution,

get decent cpu, midrange gpu

use 320x240 resolution

, maybe 640x480 LOL

if u need the 500fps that bad and u think its gonna make a big difference, then i guess u wouldnt mind playing on 320x240 either :v

(◑‿◐)

Option 3 definitely is going to be your best option. Get away from that FX chip :( 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

21 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well, for now, he said he'd like to upgrade to a GTX 1080 and then upgrade board/CPU later. So thats what we'll do. 

Yeah, I agree, upgrade to the GTX 1080, then go with option 3 because you can reuse the RAM which is a cheaper option because RAM prices are significantly higher. Older Haswell chips are still good CPUs for gaming and you can easily retrieve a motherboard CPU combo, buying the CPU and mobo seperately would be more expensive.

50 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

And also, the price of gtx 1080s range from 500-$600 anyway.

2 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

And also, the price of gtx 1080s range from 500-$600 anyway.

Newegg has an asus one on sale on ebay of all places for 470 bucks. Why its not on sale on the main site is beyond me.

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Newegg has an asus one on sale on ebay of all places for 470 bucks. Why its not on sale on the main site is beyond me.

That is a great deal for a 1080 and it is questionable as to why the sale isnt on their main site.

7 minutes ago, TheBeastPC said:

That is a great deal for a 1080 and it is questionable as to why the sale isnt on their main site.

I've already gotten one for another friend's build, and it did ship as if bought from their site. 

1 hour ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Current system has a GTX 650, an FX 4170, and 8GB of DDR3.

My cousin bought a complete system that had a 650ti boost, core i5 3470, 8GB DDR3 ram. I still think that he could have gotten this system cheaper, he paid $300 for it and prebuilt business machines can be found cheap, the 650ti boost are like 20-$30 on the used market. He gets around 120-150fps in CSGO.

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

It matters in CSGO since the games has shuttering problem due to var/sv spikes

you will be getting screen tearing like mad considering i don't even think there are any true 500hz monitors out there, someone corect me on this please but the highest i have seen so far is 240hz 

2 hours ago, Dogsparky said:

you will be getting screen tearing like mad considering i don't even think there are any true 500hz monitors out there, someone corect me on this please but the highest i have seen so far is 240hz 

LOL I'm getting screen tearing at 60FPS in CSGO and it disappears at higher FPS like 120FPS

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ZM Fong said:

LOL I'm getting screen tearing at 60FPS in CSGO and it disappears at higher FPS like 120FPS

what monitor do you have?

28 minutes ago, Dogsparky said:

what monitor do you have?

15.6 inch IPS 60Hz LP156WF6-SPK3

Desktop specs:

Spoiler