Multi Gaming Rig with bitcoin mobo?

denywinarto

Got the idea from this vid:

Now what if we use;

btc mobo that has 10 PCIE slots combined with 10 GPU to serve 10 clients?

There are plenty of these btc mobo from asrock / asus / biostar

LGA 1151 based CPU would be either Xeon E3-1285 v6 or Core i7-6700K

GPU, i havent googled again but r9 nano is kinda hard to get now... let's just assume RX500 series card.

is it technically possible? 

What sort of performance can i expect for high end games such as GTA v?

I wish linus would elaborate more on the unraid lime part, i'm completely new at gpu passthrough

It's possible

Don't do it

Here's why:

BTC Mobos with PCI 1x slots will not be good for that kind of gaming

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think it's technically possible, yes...

Logically, I'm not entire sure why anyone would do it.

Lan centers, 

Even though its not better than vgpu that nvidia grid offers, cost wise this still makes more sense.. i think i could use cheaper gpu than that

Somewhere between 100-150$ range per card..

Not sure if it would help reducing power cost by significant margin.. 

But Centralized mobo psu and ram should help the depreciation cost as well

3 minutes ago, LtStaffel said:

It's possible

Don't do it

Here's why:

BTC Mobos with PCI 1x slots will not be good for that kind of gaming

Ah right forgot about that! 

Theres still hope though : 

But its only 8 pcie :

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59124/colorfuls-new-mining-motherboard-8-pcie-x16-slots/index.html

It's not worth the time and money since the PCIe speed is limited to 1x which bottleneck the card performance 

1 hour ago, denywinarto said:

Ah right forgot about that! 

Theres still hope though : 

But its only 8 pcie :

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59124/colorfuls-new-mining-motherboard-8-pcie-x16-slots/index.html

According to the article, the first x16 slot is a true x16 slot. The rest are all x1 slots that go through the B250 chipset, and the chipset has only four lanes worth of bandwidth to the CPU. These four lanes are going to be contested between not just the GPUs (except for the first x16 slot GPU) but also your USB ports, your storage drives, and your network adapters. Games need the bandwidth to work with things like textures.

Then you have the question of CPU. The fastest CPU you can use with a B250 board is the Intel Core i7-7700K, and that only has four cores. You're not going to get eight games to run on that CPU.

Lastly, that board only has a single SODIMM slot. At best, you've got single channel memory, and unless you can find a SODIMM stick that has 32 or 64 GB (I can't), you're only getting 16 GB maximum. Some games use over half that.

The "7 Gamers, 1 CPU" build uses a more expensive dual socket server motherboard, and each slot has at least 8 dedicated PCIe lanes to the CPUs (thus they aren't starved for bandwidth). It also has plenty of RAM slots and, with two CPUs, plenty of cores. You can look at Asus's page on it here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED8_WS/

tl;dr - It'd be really awesome if it worked, but it won't. Those mining boards are meant for mining, not gaming. Sorry.

3 hours ago, Mi26 said:

It's not worth the time and money since the PCIe speed is limited to 1x which bottleneck the card performance 

3 hours ago, CUDA_Cores said:

It would work, but the bandwidth restrictions would probably only allow you to play minesweeper

2 hours ago, Kavawuvi said:

According to the article, the first x16 slot is a true x16 slot. The rest are all x1 slots that go through the B250 chipset, and the chipset has only four lanes worth of bandwidth to the CPU. These four lanes are going to be contested between not just the GPUs (except for the first x16 slot GPU) but also your USB ports, your storage drives, and your network adapters. Games need the bandwidth to work with things like textures.

Then you have the question of CPU. The fastest CPU you can use with a B250 board is the Intel Core i7-7700K, and that only has four cores. You're not going to get eight games to run on that CPU.

Lastly, that board only has a single SODIMM slot. At best, you've got single channel memory, and unless you can find a SODIMM stick that has 32 or 64 GB (I can't), you're only getting 16 GB maximum. Some games use over half that.

The "7 Gamers, 1 CPU" build uses a more expensive dual socket server motherboard, and each slot has at least 8 dedicated PCIe lanes to the CPUs (thus they aren't starved for bandwidth). It also has plenty of RAM slots and, with two CPUs, plenty of cores. You can look at Asus's page on it here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED8_WS/

tl;dr - It'd be really awesome if it worked, but it won't. Those mining boards are meant for mining, not gaming. Sorry.

Guess only this type of boards will do

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X9DRG-OTF-CPU.cfm

2x CPU is necessary for the number of lanes..

But then again after googling a bit looks like it's rather expensive or rather hard to find

Also can anyone elaborate on unraid lime? is it similar with VM?

will the performance be compromised?

I have experimented with multiseat type config before with aster multiseat,

This is my 9 seat setup running dual RX570 and 12 core xeon processor

rTQiUTq.jpg

For graphics-related programs such as photoshop & corel there doesnt' seem to any issues,

But steam and alot of online games doesn't seem to like it,

They require complete user separation and multiseat doesn't seem to count..