VGA vs dvi vs hdmi

Hi im Aurora

Hi everyone.. I have a sinotec 32" FHD TV. It has a HDMI port on TV and VGA port on TV. 

When I connect my GPU via VGA I get 1920 1080p resolution,but when I connect it via HDMI I get 720p... I don't understand...

Then I want to know, because my new GPU doesn't have a VGA port,I have HDMI and dvi.

If I get a HDMI to VGA adapter and connect it to my TVs VGA port would I then get 720p or 1080p?

Please help me as I'm confused. 

That sounds wierd indeed, have you tried to change the resolution from your computer?

No idea really what resolution you will get with adapter. I guess you have to try.

Don't get a VGA-HDMI adapter . They're active adapters that convert digital signals to analog , and usually result in a noticeable drop in quality . Are you sure you have your settings right?

About that DVI port : is it a DVI I or DVI D port ? what gpu is it? If it's a DVI-I port , you should be able to get a passive adapter for it , which doesn't actually mess with the video signal. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Yes it's weird...seems like the HDMI port on the TV converts the resolution to 720 p but on VGA it's 1080p.. I can change the resolution to 1080p but the qaulity of the display is very bad,even on HDMI 720 p it looks terrible.. but on VGA it looks smooth with 1080p. 

The GPU I have is a Lalit jetstream GTX 1060 6gb. It's dvi 2.0b  here is a picture of the adapter what I need 

ux_a08051900ux0032_ux_n-700x700.jpg

VGA is always lower quality signal (because it's converted from digital to analogue on the video card and then is carried on a lower quality video cable to the TV)

You want to use either DVI or HDMI.

Since your TV has HDMI inputs, you should use the HDMI connector on your video card. You would also get the same results by using a cheap DVI to HDMI adapter (1-3$) - these adapters don't do any processing on the signal, the digital bits are just routed from one connector to the other without messing with it, so you don't lose quality.

So with either HDMI or DVI, you would be able to use a proper HDMI cable to connect your video card to the monitor.

Make sure you configure the output resolution to 1920x1080 60 Hz and you'll be fine.

edit: if your video card is fairly new and has no VGA connectors, it may no longer have the circuitry to produce analogue signal on it. The cheap DVI to VGA adapters rely on that circuitry and just route a few pins from the DVI connector that carry that analogue signal into the VGA connector on the adapter.

So since the cards no longer put the analogue signal on those pins, these cheap adapters won't work anymore.

With such video cards you would need active hdmi to vga converters or displayport to vga converters (if the card has DisplayPort) - these adapters have a chip in them which decode the digital signal and produce the analogue signal which then goes through the vga cable to the TV

But again, you already have HDMI and DVI on the card as you said, so you should use those and ignore the VGA option if you can help it.