GTX 1080 Ti, are you that impressed?

Hi all.

Now this is in no way a bashing between AMD or Nvidea, I love and have had both makes of GPU, this is just a point about all high end cards, using my own experience. 

So basically I feel a little underwhelmed by my new upgrade. I went from an AMD 290x to the 1080Ti founders edition, the week they came on sale.

I also upgraded my monitor from a 1080p Ben-Q 144htz to a 1440p 165hrz AOC Argon. I know I have doubled the amount of pixels on my screen and yes things do look a lot crisper and 

fresher, but I get around the same FPS as I did with the 290x as I do with the 1080ti at roughly the same settings.

BF1 for example, On my old card at 1080p on ultra settings I got a solid 60-70 FPS, the new set up, with the slightly crisper graphics I get the same may be 10-15 FPS higher.

I think as long as your over the golden 60fps then games are fully enjoyable and it gets a bit pointless. DOOM I got 200 fps on both cards OC on ultra settings. Its the same story for most games

bar from a few increases in settings.

Am I being silly, or doing something wrong?. I know that I've now future proofed myself for the years to come, but at a price of pretty much over £1300 I don't really see the worth in the upgrade (at least at this time)

Plus there are still some games that I can max out ever setting. Tom Clancy The division being one, that's power hungry game is just insane.

I would just others thoughts and feedback who have chosen to upgrade to the new high end generation of cards, weather they be the 1080/ 1080 ti, or the new AMD Vega

Cheers

Van. H

PC specs: CPU: i7 6800k Hex Core, GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti, Motherboard: Asus X99 A-ii ,PSU: Corsair 650watt Platinum
Ram: 4x4gb DDR4 2666mhz, Case: Corsair (Something), Storage: 256gb M.2 3200 write/ 1200 Read, 1 TB Crucial SSD, 2TB HDD

1080 ti is a bit excessive for 1080p gaming.  also, at the high-end GPU range, CPU's can start to become a bottleneck

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

I do not fully understand what you mean you say that 1440p is 2x as much pixels as 1080p and that with the the 165Hz 1440p monitor vs your older 144Hz 1080p you are noticing slight performance increases with slightly crispier graphics unless youi are trying to tell people that you wasted money as you do not see much of a difference or at least enough of a difference to justify the price

Coming from 2x GTX 670 to 1x GTX 1080TI for myself it was a massive upgrade. I also went from 1080p 120hz to 1440 144hz monitor. So i got a graphics boost as well as a FPS boost. I waited 4 years to upgrade and get my moneys worth. This card will last me a few years at least or more. 

I only upgraded from 980Ti to 1080Ti earlier this year. To me, it made a huge difference. 980Ti wasn't enough to get high frame rates at 1440p without turning down settings, often dropping below 60 fps when things get tough. With 1080Ti in place, I pretty much don't have to think about it. Lows now are in the 90's and everything is buttery smooth. Unfortunately it is now making my SSD feel too slow as it dynamically loads stuff... momentary drops are more noticeable at high fps.

For serious gaming, I don't think I could go back to 60 fps now, and I feel a 1080Ti is good to ensure higher framerates at higher resolutions. 1080p just feels a bit cramped, and I fear even a singe 1080Ti is not up for high fps 4k.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

ummn,why a founders edition card? they sometimes may choke due to the single fan,still awesome rig u got m8!

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

It worked out for me, I went from a GTX1070 to a 1080Ti.

I was playing in 1440p at 50-75hz and now I play at 1440p (with 1.5 super sampling) 90-144Hz with g-sync. It's so much better.

My old CPU would have still be fine though, as it was a i7 4790K at 4.8Ghz but I wanted new everything so I went for it.

I could game in 4K no trouble really, but have yet to find a 32 inch, 4K, low input lag, high Hz monitor that would convince me to do so. but I think it will happen soon!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

14 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

ummn,why a founders edition card? they sometimes may choke due to the single fan,still awesome rig u got m8!

this is not always true, some PC cases require the single fan exhaust method

I have a Silverstone tj08 case

my last card was a 980ti  evga sc and my ambient temps were hotter than with my 1080ti FE because it dumped most of the heat back into the case

The only thing about 1080 TI i dont like is the price. Every thing else is pure awesome. Lots of vram (i realy enjoy that i dont have to take a look the hole time for how high i can go on eye candy before all vram is used), powerful GPU with out the need for SLI/crossfire, All power is at your disposal in every game (yeah i am comming from years of using mid-end cards in SLI). And i cut ride down a hole roman, but stops here. I have wet dream´s of getting a another card for sli, but that will be a dream a while yet until they drop in price on the used marked.

Here some comparison. Look at graphics score, that is the GPU score it self. Note that all scores are with max overclock and on PCIe 2. scores done on PCIe 3 with same or similar clocks may differ a bit. Since two of the scores are with SLI, you can take about 25-50 % away of the score to have game performance since sli games normaly have a 25-50 % loss over the second GPU. Sli dosent scale 200 %, but mostly where one GPU is 100 % sli scale like 140 % to 190 % at its bedst and games with out sli support dosent use the second GPU at all. My point is that the gain with 1080 TI is bigger than the scores may tell because games dosent scale as great as a benchmark does it with sli.

I7 920 + GTX 660 TI SLI

NY_rekord_3dmark_GTX_660_TI.jpg

I7 980X + GTX 970 SLI

3Dmark_Fire_Strike_4.77_GHz.jpg

I7 980X + GTX 1080 TI

3Dmark_Fire_Strike_4.72_GHz_GTX_1080_TI.

6 hours ago, Van Hellspit said:

Hi all.

Now this is in no way a bashing between AMD or Nvidea, I love and have had both makes of GPU, this is just a point about all high end cards, using my own experience. 

So basically I feel a little underwhelmed by my new upgrade. I went from an AMD 290x to the 1080Ti founders edition, the week they came on sale.

I also upgraded my monitor from a 1080p Ben-Q 144htz to a 1440p 165hrz AOC Argon. I know I have doubled the amount of pixels on my screen and yes things do look a lot crisper and 

fresher, but I get around the same FPS as I did with the 290x as I do with the 1080ti at roughly the same settings.

BF1 for example, On my old card at 1080p on ultra settings I got a solid 60-70 FPS, the new set up, with the slightly crisper graphics I get the same may be 10-15 FPS higher.

I think as long as your over the golden 60fps then games are fully enjoyable and it gets a bit pointless. DOOM I got 200 fps on both cards OC on ultra settings. Its the same story for most games

bar from a few increases in settings.

Am I being silly, or doing something wrong?. I know that I've now future proofed myself for the years to come, but at a price of pretty much over £1300 I don't really see the worth in the upgrade (at least at this time)

Plus there are still some games that I can max out ever setting. Tom Clancy The division being one, that's power hungry game is just insane.

I would just others thoughts and feedback who have chosen to upgrade to the new high end generation of cards, weather they be the 1080/ 1080 ti, or the new AMD Vega

Cheers

Van. H

My 1080Ti and 7700k works fine on a PG279Q monitor which is max rated at 1440p 165Hz... I'm getting around 120-150fps with ultra settings on most games that I play, which I'm really happy already.

What CPU do you have?

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

The 1080Ti is legitimately impressive hardware. You've doubled the load on your card and you're getting about the same performance -- yeah, sounds about right if you've got the starts of CPU bottlenecking there. I upgraded from 1070 SLI to one 1080Ti and at 3440:1440 I am getting both significantly higher performance on games, but significantly lower thermal loads on my system.

My GTA V benchmarks showed a delta of roughly 10 FPS on each pass when I changed my cards around, and 15+ FPS on passes 3 and 4, and I managed ~70 FPS under totally max settings for 1440p UW. This sadly meant that I had to lower some of the extras to get a smooth 75 FPS for my XR342CK. Frame timings also decreased by 2-3 ms consistently. Playing Witcher 3, which is a little better about SLI, I still saw an increase of about 5-10 FPS during most loading scenarios -- likely due to thermals on one card being significantly better. Playing some less-optimized games like Secret World Legends, I achieved notably less stutter at max settings.

Comparing it to the 1070, which is in of itself a tremendous card? The 1080Ti is insane, I have benchmarks from my original 1070 and we're talking over 2x performance in GTA V. Comparing it to two 1070s? Still a notable bump in performance. Now, yeah, 165 Hz 1440p screens might not be able to achieve full performance with even a 1080Ti, but that's because the 1080Ti targets 60 Hz 4k as its endgame market. High-frequency high-resolution displays are still kind of novel, and the market hasn't really delved into them yet. So obviously, it's not the lord and savior, but it's still miles ahead of anything else on the market.

Going from a GT730 to a GTX 1060 is gonna felt great because your game settings just change from LOW to High. 

Game settings change from High to Ultra won't have that much of "impact", therefore it might felt that you don't get much out of your card/this card is not that impressive. 

But that's always the way it is when it comes to GPU and in game graphic. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

12 minutes ago, serguzzle said:

The 1080Ti is legitimately impressive hardware. You've doubled the load on your card and you're getting about the same performance -- yeah, sounds about right if you've got the starts of CPU bottlenecking there. I upgraded from 1070 SLI to one 1080Ti and at 3440:1440 I am getting both significantly higher performance on games, but significantly lower thermal loads on my system.

My GTA V benchmarks showed a delta of roughly 10 FPS on each pass when I changed my cards around, and 15+ FPS on passes 3 and 4, and I managed ~70 FPS under totally max settings for 1440p UW. This sadly meant that I had to lower some of the extras to get a smooth 75 FPS for my XR342CK. Frame timings also decreased by 2-3 ms consistently. Playing Witcher 3, which is a little better about SLI, I still saw an increase of about 5-10 FPS during most loading scenarios -- likely due to thermals on one card being significantly better. Playing some less-optimized games like Secret World Legends, I achieved notably less stutter at max settings.

Comparing it to the 1070, which is in of itself a tremendous card? The 1080Ti is insane, I have benchmarks from my original 1070 and we're talking over 2x performance in GTA V. Comparing it to two 1070s? Still a notable bump in performance. Now, yeah, 165 Hz 1440p screens might not be able to achieve full performance with even a 1080Ti, but that's because the 1080Ti targets 60 Hz 4k as its endgame market. High-frequency high-resolution displays are still kind of novel, and the market hasn't really delved into them yet. So obviously, it's not the lord and savior, but it's still miles ahead of anything else on the market.

GTA V is a relatively intensive game so I wouldn't be too surprised the frames are slightly lower. I would drop to high over ultra only if the frame gain is significant [25-30+], otherwise I would leave it at ultra.

That being said I love my 1080Ti a lot, it is a real significant upgrade [over a HD7870 which couldn't pump 60fps on most current AAA games at 1080p on great quality settings] so it's a welcomed change [for me that is]. Went from 1080p <60fps to 1440p at 120-150fps

As long as my minimums stay above 100-110fps I think it does the trick. Also the fact I can leave settings on ultra/maxed is amazing, which is impressive for a single card. Whereas before I would have to run on low/medium to actually get decent frame rates.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

Lol, you said it exactly in your OP.

you doubled gpu power and doubled your pixels. 

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Hi guys thanks for the reply a lot to take in and absorbed.  All very informative.

For them who asked my CPU IS THE i7 6800k, so I'm fairly sure it's not a bottleneck.

Van.h

PC specs: CPU: i7 6800k Hex Core, GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080ti, Motherboard: Asus X99 A-ii ,PSU: Corsair 650watt Platinum
Ram: 4x4gb DDR4 2666mhz, Case: Corsair (Something), Storage: 256gb M.2 3200 write/ 1200 Read, 1 TB Crucial SSD, 2TB HDD

Went from a 980Ti to a 1080Ti and agree, but it's mostly because I'm only at 1440p (which the 980Ti was more than fine at) and because I don't really play that many demanding games anyway.