Recommend Good Budget Headsets?

Budget (Highly Prefer $100 and below, but if it's really worth it $150?)

Features Seeking

• Something with good spacial awareness would be nice, however I realize that may be unlikely due to budget
  • Good Mic
  • Comfortable
  • Durable / Solid Build Quality
  • Colors Preferred: Black, Black w/ red or white. (But if it looks nice it's considerable)

I am open to wired and wireless options as well as Headphone & mic Combos within a similar budget

Kingston HyperX Cloud II are among recommendations and they cost around $100 too.

"I'm so glad you're my partner in crime."

"It's the power of best friendship, I know how you roll."

"Chloe, my powers might not last." 

"Ready for the mosh pit, shaka brah?" 

"Yes, we'd be tearing up the highway. And you'd probably want me to kiss you again..." 

"I always wanted my life to be special... an adventure... but not without you."

"Because we're back in action again!"

"With great power comes great bullshit."

"Max you are not crazy. You are not dreaming. It’s time to be an everyday hero."

"I wish I could stay in this moment forever. I guess I actually can now, but then it wouldn’t be a moment."

"If that tornado came right now, I would just sit here and watch for a while."

"You're right. We hella deserve this. Splish splash."

"Can we build another pirate fort and keep the world out?"

"When a door closes, a window opens... Or, something like that."

"Listen, whatever happens, I want you to be strong. Even if you feel like I wasn't there for you because I will never abandon you Chloe. I'll always have your back. Always."

12 minutes ago, Max Caulfield said:

Kingston HyperX Cloud II are among recommendations and they cost around $100 too.

You remind me of dexxterlab

My life

Just now, Himommies said:

You remind me of dexxterlab

Who? I just joined so I am new to this forum

"Yes, we'd be tearing up the highway. And you'd probably want me to kiss you again..." 

"Max you are not crazy. You are not dreaming. It’s time to be an everyday hero."

"I wish I could stay in this moment forever. I guess I actually can now, but then it wouldn’t be a moment."

"Listen, whatever happens, I want you to be strong. Even if you feel like I wasn't there for you because I will never abandon you Chloe. I'll always have your back. Always."

24 minutes ago, Max Caulfield said:

I had a pair of HyperX Cloud II the mic wasn't good on them and from how I felt they didn't really have any of the features I mentioned

1 minute ago, Brama said:

I had a pair of HyperX Cloud II the mic wasn't good on them and from how I felt they didn't really have any of the features I mentioned

Most people said the Cloud II are really good though.

Just now, Max Caulfield said:

Most people said the Cloud II are really good though.

Yeah I know, which why I was surprised I disliked mines so much. Perhaps I just had a bad pair. Idk

2 hours ago, Max Caulfield said:

Who? I just joined so I am new to this forum

A person who really loved Life is Strange, had over 30,000 posts I think, he posted that much in 1 year 1 month, and completely wiped his account

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 hours ago, Max_Settings said:

HD558 or perhaps SHP9500 would be much better if the intended use is gaming; M40X's have a compressed soundstage even compared to most closed-backs. 

4 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

HD558 or perhaps SHP9500 would be much better if the intended use is gaming; M40X's have a compressed soundstage even compared to most closed-backs. 

558s over the 9500s. 9500s also have narrow soundstage and very little bass.

6 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Those Phillips seems to be very nice and good. Nice Suggestion. 

11 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

558s over the 9500s. 9500s also have narrow soundstage and very little bass.

Definitely HD558's over SHP9500's. Soundstage on the 9500 isn't that much worse and the bass can be boosted, but they're just overall not very resolving. For the price though (~$55 vs ~$80) they're not a bad option, and standardized cable means that going with a cheaper boompro style mic instead of the modmic is also an option.

the kingston hyperx cloud 2 is good if you dont use the included usb DAC. Creative cards have the same feature as the USB dac but at much higher quality. Even on realtek soundcards the sound quality is better. Its the headset you want, the usb DAC is good for compatibility and you at least have a USB DAC handy incase of bad onboard audio.

My hyperx cloud 2 however just failed with audio disappearing from one end. It is old though as i bought it a few years ago. The sound quality if you plug the headset directly to your card rather than via usb is really really good because the headset itself has good drivers. The mic is decent too if you dont use the USB DAC.

If you want the best experience, use the hyperx cloud 2 with a good soundcard rather than the included usb dac or realtek audio (feedback on mic). On creative cards i had issues with the mic volume being too low but thats just creative cards being crap when it comes to software.

Hd558 with modmic and honestly thats all you need for gaming only headset

3 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Hd558 with modmic and honestly thats all you need for gaming only headset

as long as its a sennheiser rather than a rebrand that doesnt use a hardware equaliser (flat response cross frequency range) than it is very good.

For any headset regardless for gaming or not, flat response is very important so when you tweak the equaliser for a specific application it will be a lot easier to tweak and you'd get better sound. A lot of headsets tend to bias the bass or highs.

SHP9500 ($50-55 depending on if on sale at newegg) with V-MODA Boompro ($29) is your best bet right now.

Or you can get the HD558 ($70-80 depending on sale) with Modmic 4 ($50-55). It's a bit clunkier because of the extra cable for the modmic, but I think this combo is slightly higher quality. Just my opinion, though.

14 hours ago, System Error Message said:

as long as its a sennheiser rather than a rebrand that doesnt use a hardware equaliser (flat response cross frequency range) than it is very good.

For any headset regardless for gaming or not, flat response is very important so when you tweak the equaliser for a specific application it will be a lot easier to tweak and you'd get better sound. A lot of headsets tend to bias the bass or highs.

Oh lord. Find me a flat response headphone, I can tell you right now that no sennheiser headphones has that and to EQ a headphone a lot is outright idiotic, because then you get distortion and that basically fucks up the audio quality, a EQ should only be used to do very minor tweaks.  You should NEVER buy a set of headphones that you plan to EQ,  at that point you should have bought a different set of headphones end of story, this is why we also have headphones that all sound different. A flat response is not important, nor is a "neutral" one,  the only thing that is important is that you get a headphone that fits your taste. You know we all hear things differently.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

5 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Oh lord. Find me a flat response headphone, I can tell you right now that no sennheiser headphones has that and to EQ a headphone a lot is outright idiotic, because then you get distortion and that basically fucks up the audio quality, a EQ should only be used to do very minor tweaks.  You should NEVER buy a set of headphones that you plan to EQ,  at that point you should have bought a different set of headphones end of story, this is why we also have headphones that all sound different. A flat response is not important, nor is a "neutral" one,  the only thing that is important is that you get a headphone that fits your taste. You know we all hear things differently.

exactly, minor tweaks not for the headphone itself but for the sound. EQ should never be pre done in hardware.

Bigger headphone drivers tend to help the response too.

1 hour ago, System Error Message said:

exactly, minor tweaks not for the headphone itself but for the sound. EQ should never be pre done in hardware.

Bigger headphone drivers tend to help the response too.

Your hardware should be as close as possible to your ideal sound signature because EQ isn't magic. HD650's don't extend terribly low. EQ subbass onto them and you just get more distortion. EQ doesn't help with sibilance problems because the issue is ringing and not pure FR. Adding more lower mids in software doesn't fix timbre. There's so much more to sound signature than a simple 2D frequency response, and unfortunately that's the only thing EQ can fix (at the expense of other things in the process).

Driver size doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many of the best dynamics (Focal Utopia, HD650, SRH1540) use 40mm drivers.

20 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

Your hardware should be as close as possible to your ideal sound signature because EQ isn't magic. HD650's don't extend terribly low. EQ subbass onto them and you just get more distortion. EQ doesn't help with sibilance problems because the issue is ringing and not pure FR. Adding more lower mids in software doesn't fix timbre. There's so much more to sound signature than a simple 2D frequency response, and unfortunately that's the only thing EQ can fix (at the expense of other things in the process).

Driver size doesn't necessarily mean anything. Many of the best dynamics (Focal Utopia, HD650, SRH1540) use 40mm drivers.

Im not talking about EQ to fix said problem, im talking about EQ to tweak the sound source to your liking. Beats audio for example does it in hardware which is bad which is why i call beats audio fake.

The whole point is you want your sound output to have as flat response as possible so when you use an EQ to tweak the sound or add effects it wont get distorted or work differently.

Just now, System Error Message said:

Im not talking about EQ to fix said problem, im talking about EQ to tweak the sound source to your liking. Beats audio for example does it in hardware which is bad which is why i call beats audio fake.

The whole point is you want your sound output to have as flat response as possible so when you use an EQ to tweak the sound or add effects it wont get distorted or work differently.

What's your idea of a neutral headphone that produces better bass after EQ than a headphone designed to produce good bass natively? I provided the example with the HD6X0 family; adding bass increases distortion without providing extension. Digital EQ will always increase distortion or decrease dynamic range (or both).

The original Beats was just a poor headphone in general. The fact that it happened to not be neutral isn't an argument for neutral headphones (not that there are any truly neutral headphones out there).

Just now, Nimrodor said:

What's your idea of a neutral headphone that produces better bass after EQ than a headphone designed to produce good bass natively? I provided the example with the HD6X0 family; adding bass increases distortion without providing extension. Digital EQ will always increase distortion or decrease dynamic range (or both).

The original Beats was just a poor headphone in general. The fact that it happened to not be neutral isn't an argument for neutral headphones (not that there are any truly neutral headphones out there).

the point is a lot of software mixes their own sound, so for a gaming headset if it is not neutral it can cause distortions, or some frequencies can be too low.