1060 6GB future potential in 1080P/60Hz

Hello, basically, as the title says, i have 2 options for spending my money that i will have by the end of the year.

1) I can get and i would like to get a better mobo

2) save money and get next year Nvidia GPU equivalent to 1070 (2070/1170/1070Ti).

Do you think that 1060 6G will last me for next few years for that resolution with no plans to move on higher res/refresh rate?

I like AAA games like Prey and Wolfenstein, so i would like the card to run these at decent details/framerates.

What do you think?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Yes, the 1060 will be just fine at 1080p/60fps for the next 1-2 years minimum. You may have to turn down post processing things from ultra to like High or Medium in some titles, but you should be 100% satisfied with the experience regardless. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I think so considering I have been playing Rise of the tomb raider 2k resolution at 75fps high-very high settings. So I guess it would last. I also have a 1060 6gb

I read somewhere that volta cards arent made for gaming. Just wanted to throw that out... But as for buying a card, theres always a new gen and if you prefer waiting youre always going to waiting.. GTX 1060 is way more than enough for 1080p60 gaming. If you dont plan to move to VR or 4K its more than enough.

Just now, cstwister said:

I read somewhere that volta cards arent made for gaming. Just wanted to throw that out... But as for buying a card, theres always a new gen and if you prefer waiting youre always going to waiting.. GTX 1060 is way more than enough for 1080p60 gaming. If you dont plan to move to VR or 4K its more than enough.

Honestly, When people ask if I should upgrade or do I need to upgrade, that is really a question only they can answer. All they have to answer is one simple questions, "Do you get the experience out of the game or games you play?" If not, then its probably time to upgrade. Until you no longer get the experience you want, then no need to upgrade. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just now, legacy99 said:

Honestly, When people ask if I should upgrade or do I need to upgrade, that is really a question only they can answer. All they have to answer is one simple questions, "Do you get the experience out of the game or games you play?" If not, then its probably time to upgrade. Until you no longer get the experience you want, then no need to upgrade. 

Theres also the issue that volta cards coming are made not for gamers but for DCs. At least thats what I read so if he chooses to wait, its going to be a while..

1 minute ago, cstwister said:

Theres also the issue that volta cards coming are made not for gamers but for DCs. At least thats what I read so if he chooses to wait, its going to be a while..

There is always 2 versions of a card, the Gamer side, and the Data Center/Deep Learning side. Always will be. Like when Nvidia released the Titan X(p) they said it was not a gamer card and were refusing to give it to reviewers to test. 

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Keep your money, your motherboard and CPU are still both fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

A 6GB 1060 has the power and VRAM to be a useful 1080p60 card for a few years to come. Look no further than the 760, hell even the 660 Ti. Both are still very viable budget options at 1080p several years after release. You have to go back to Fermi to find an X60 card that really doesn't cut it at 1080p anymore.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Keep your money, your motherboard and CPU are still both fine.

I have developed a big mental disorder than requires me to have top of the line VRM.

Besides that, the X370 will be more future proof because i will get the 7nm revision and the overkill VRM will come in handy.

Just now, dave_k said:

I have developed a big mental disorder than requiers me to have top of the line VRM.

Besides that, the X370 will be more future proof because i will get the 7nm revision and the overkill VRM will come in handy.

Yeah, I kinda see where you're coming from, but the motherboard is definitely not a top priority. If you have to upgrade something, get a new GPU (although I don't think you need a new one).

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I've been using a GTX 970 for just under three years (was aiming for 1080p 144fps) and while I'm not getting 144fps in almost any new AA or AAA game anymore, its still in the 90's and the 1060 is considerably more powerful than the 970. IT should easily last two years at 1080p 60fps, especially since its not hindered by HALF A GIG OF UNUSABLE VRAM *sobs*

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

12 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I have developed a big mental disorder than requires me to have top of the line VRM.

I've got the exact same mobo you do, and it's holding a 3.8GHz overclock 24/7 on a 1700 with ease after the 0902 BIOS update. I could easily push further, but I don't really want to go higher than 1.35v on a day in-day out overclock. I will say that I've considered swapping my H5 Ultimate out with a Noctua NH-C14S to get a little added airflow down across the VRMs, but it hasn't been an issue for me thus far. My vote is that your board is fine.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

I've got the exact same mobo you do, and it's holding a 3.8GHz overclock 24/7 on a 1700 with ease after the 0902 BIOS update. I could easily push further, but I don't really want to go higher than 1.35v on a day in-day out overclock. I will say that I've considered swapping my H5 Ultimate out with a Noctua NH-C14S to get a little added airflow down across the VRMs, but it hasn't been an issue for me thus far. My vote is that your board is fine.

The best and only way i use to test the VRM temp is to run P95/similiar CPU torture gulag test and watch the VRM temps in BIOS.

Try that and you'll see.

I just dont like the fact that i have something that could limit me in so important future.

What mobo are you upgrading to?

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

What mobo are you upgrading to?

X370 Strix most likely.

It has IR powestages, so exactly what i want.

may opt for Gaming 5 if my cat dies or something stupid like that and i will have to hand out some cash for something

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

X370 Strix most likely.

It has IR powestages, so exactly what i want.

may opt for Gaming 5 if my cat dies or something stupid like that and i will have to hand out some cash for something

I'm giving up on mATX, probably moving to a K7, X370-F or ch6 (if it's on sale this black friday)

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, Damascus said:

I'm giving up on mATX, probably moving to a K7, X370-F or ch6 (if it's on sale this black friday)

Black friday

The day when prices of electronics in europe match the ones in US on normal day