Is it possible to restrict users from copying different types of files to a folder in Server 2012?

Shammikit

what im trying to do is im going to give access to users for a folder and i do not want them to insert anything into it apart from image files. is there any sort of control that i can use to do this in server 2012?  

6 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

what im trying to do is im going to give access to users for a folder and i do not want them to insert anything into it apart from image files. is there any sort of control that i can use to do this in server 2012?  

There's nothing I can think of that will specifically prevent them from copying files there, but you could write a fairly simple batch script that will delete all files except for specific file extensions.

You could then have that batch file run on a schedule via the Task Scheduler (Eg: Every 5 minutes or every hour).

Though that's not ideal. I can't really think of a good way to do this for a file server. Why do you need to force this? Can you simply not train the people who will be accessing the share?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

There's nothing I can think of that will specifically prevent them from copying files there, but you could write a fairly simple batch script that will delete all files except for specific file extensions.

You could then have that batch file run on a schedule via the Task Scheduler (Eg: Every 5 minutes or every hour).

Though that's not ideal. I can't really think of a good way to do this for a file server. Why do you need to force this? Can you simply not train the people who will be accessing the share?

no no, im actually just experimenting stuff here in my virtual PC. i made a simple program to access and insert files to server 2012

11 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

no no, im actually just experimenting stuff here in my virtual PC. i made a simple program to access and insert files to server 2012

if you wrote a program to handle files maybe you can modify the program to only accept certain file extensions.

just like paint will refuse to open anything that is not .jpg, .png, .bmp or .gif

3 hours ago, KenjiUmino said:

if you wrote a program to handle files maybe you can modify the program to only accept certain file extensions.

just like paint will refuse to open anything that is not .jpg, .png, .bmp or .gif

i have done that and i have set a selected range of file types however, as i have the IP address and the file path of the server written in the program i think they would b able to use it outside my program and use it to put in any type of file which could include harmful stuff like a virus for example to that folder. i want to restrict that folder to images only to avoid this

1 hour ago, Shammikit said:

i have done that and i have set a selected range of file types however, as i have the IP address and the file path of the server written in the program i think they would b able to use it outside my program and use it to put in any type of file which could include harmful stuff like a virus for example to that folder. i want to restrict that folder to images only to avoid this

Why don't you just tighten permissions on the folder?

Restrict access completely from a staff level user account.

Create another account on the server - call it, say, "AppInterface", and then have the application connect to the folder using those credentials, not the Windows Session.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)