This $150 HDMI Cable Boosts Image Quality.. WHAT??

Frankly, to watch anime with this cable, you need to include a debanding filter in the filter chain. But at that point, if you know what a "debanding filter" is, you're probably using madVR anyway.

But if I'm to break from my PC-centric thinking, this might indeed be really cool for consoles, DVD players, and other proprietary shit that can't be tuned. If you can notice, I'm kinda torn between "all hardware does image processing really shitty" (and I know this better than most people, I work this shit after all) and "actually consumer-friendly way to do image processing without any hassle".

3 hours ago, GabenJr said:

This has been pointed out before, and it's worth addressing: This is an artifact of our capture device - It was recorded in the Rec 601 Partial colour space, but while that looked correct for the regular HDMI capture, the mCable does a conversion and outputs to Rec 709 Full if the display supports it (our capture device exposes this capability via EDID). We later confirmed this after we noticed black crush in our histograms during editing, and Marseille corroborated this.

I'd love to see what non - colorspace stomped footage looked like, bc imao what went to the youtube vid looked like trash. compressing the colorspace would naturally exaggerate whatever unsharp mask they apply along with making colors oversaturated, so I fully believe it looked better in person than what got captured. That said, I'd still like to see a reupload with corrected capture settings.

Tl,DR:

MadVR in a cable.

According to Linus (due to my collection of low res anime), this should be a consideration for me. :P

Actually, I stream a crap ton of 480P video due to the T-Mobile binge on thing, so such a cable might be semi-compelling.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Why not spend $150 more on GPU?

This makes literally no sense, unless your system currently has no GPU at all. Last I checked, going from say... a $300 GPU to a $450 GPU costs $450, not $150. The only valid comparison is a PC with this cable vs the same PC without this cable, period.

But of course, you're overlooking the big elephant in the room - the cable is clearly aimed at Consoles where you simply can't buy a better GPU. 
PC MASTER RACE! HEIL GABEN!
Hey, I prefer my PC too. But that doesn't change the fact that I also own consoles - all my consoles, and my PC are all connected to the same TV. (pause for obligatory booing) This cable can do something that can't be done another way for console games, and that's what the linked Amazon page is specifically advertises it for - PC isn't even mentioned.

The thing I'm wondering is - can I plug it into a switcher box and see it's effects on ALL my consoles? There's no way I'm buying 6 of these.

Just now, toad_004 said:

The thing I'm wondering is - can I plug it into a switcher box and see it's effects on ALL my consoles? There's no way I'm buying 6 of these.

Yes, an HDMI switch doesn't interfere with the signal at all. It just switches them.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

I know I've said on the previous page that it does look better, but honestly after re-watching the video a couple of times and pausing from time to time to exam them.

It really doesn't look better at all. It looks different, but not better.

I fell for the illusion of seeing two identical things side by side, and saying this one looks better just because it looks different than the other one.

In just one instance the cinema one actually did indeed looked better. But overall it's not better, it's different.

And for 150$ for a different picture, yeah no.

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Solution: Find Blu-Ray rips of all the old anime you can! \o/

Quite a silly suggestion when my internet comes from my cellular data plan capped at 6 GB. A single episode of something in hi10P would probably butcher that.

My eyes see the past…

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Quite a silly suggestion when my internet comes from my cellular data plan capped at 6 GB. A single episode of something in hi10P would probably butcher that.

YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.  DO IT LIKE ME!

21558533_10214319186756715_2048378721176532022_n.jpg.08213b545d0709b0364f0f97884ed00f.jpg

12 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

21558533_10214319186756715_2048378721176532022_n.jpg.08213b545d0709b0364f0f97884ed00f.jpg

Soon, uhmm, should I just mail you my hard drive to put some stuff on it then?

My eyes see the past…

Technically it's a post processing card that looks like a HDMI cable.

Can you folks upload raw samples from capture cards somewhere so we can find out what it is?
My money is on basic bi-cubic interpolation filter. It should be trivially implementable in software by hooking vblank sync in GL (hijacking context and hooking glxswapsbufferswait) for example, albeit at unknown latency cost (probably delaying render by entire frame).

150 bucks for a setting you could change on your TV?

LOOL

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

It's cheaper just to pick up your remote and use your eyes and brain.

WP_20170929_003.jpg.5c2898a7d0dbe2118c5f14a6dce04512.jpg

CanTauSces: x5675 4.57ghz ~ 24GB 2133mhz CL10 Corsair Platinum ~ MSI X58 BIG BANG ~ AMD RADEON R9 Fury Nitro 1155mhz ~ 2x Velociraptor 1TB RAID 0 ~ 960GB x3 Crucial SSD ~ Creative SB Audigy FX ~ Corsair RM series 850 watts ~ Dell U2715H 27" 2560x1440.

4 hours ago, Potato*Salad said:

150 bucks for a setting you could change on your TV?

Assuming that all TVs have comprehensive enough settings, or can do it at the precise capacity of the cable, no more, no less.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Assuming that all TVs have comprehensive enough settings, or can do it at the precise capacity of the cable, no more, no less.

LOL even cheap CRT's had contrast and sharpness settings FFS.

On 9/29/2017 at 4:19 AM, Zodiark1593 said:

Tl,DR:

MadVR in a cable.

According to Linus (due to my collection of low res anime), this should be a consideration for me. :P

Actually, I stream a crap ton of 480P video due to the T-Mobile binge on thing, so such a cable might be semi-compelling.

madVR, but without a debanding filter. They should probably include it in a future version of the cable if they want the anime fans.

Then again, we aren't that many, I guess.

On 9/29/2017 at 6:29 AM, AshleyAshes said:

>96 episodes

>not having that 78GB Dantalian rip with just 12 episodes

Actually, of course you don't have it; I'm the only one who is seeding that torrent right in the moment.

• 1 year later...
On 9/29/2017 at 5:35 PM, AoeAoe said:

Technically it's a post processing card that looks like a HDMI cable.

Can you folks upload raw samples from capture cards somewhere so we can find out what it is?
My money is on basic bi-cubic interpolation filter. It should be trivially implementable in software by hooking vblank sync in GL (hijacking context and hooking glxswapsbufferswait) for example, albeit at unknown latency cost (probably delaying render by entire frame).

Can't say what algorithm they are using there, but I got some pretty good results using S-Spline Max algorithm on static images and prerecorded video.

https://rejzor.wordpress.com/2015/05/26/system-shock-2-high-definition-cutscenes/

If one could use such algorithm in real-time, it makes pretty good results with nearly no edge highlight or other artefacts.