I need a list for a 200 dollar 3D computer

Hello everyone, at my highschool I am tasked with building the computers for the new computer lab. The budget is 200 dollars for each computer (It's a private school sorry), and it needs to be able to run things such as Maya or Fusion 360. That is very important, so it needs to focus on the cpu for example. 

I really need a list for this and I am not sure what to choose, a shitty case is fine, the school has monitors and keyboards and can supply windows 10 for the machines, I just need to make a shopping list and build them.

Thank you!

some second hand HP desktops would do. i bet you there's a company near enough that needs a place to toss their 4 year old desktops.

for $200 you will need to find second hand or used components and just upgrade those.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

some second hand HP desktops would do. i bet you there's a company near enough that needs a place to toss their 4 year old desktops.

thought about same thing too but problem is how do u get enough pc's to supply for entire class? 

Option 1: Find enough used parts to put some together. Supply will be limited, not every computer would end up the same depending on how many computers are needed.

Option 2: Find a bunch of refurbished/used desktops with good enough specs. Maya (according to their website) is not very demanding it seems. This will likely be the best option.

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

thought about same thing too but problem is how do u get enough pc's to supply for entire class? 

you'd be surprised how many old desktops can build up :P

we currently have a mountain of desktops sitting at the office, if i recall is something along the line of 20-30 desktops all in all, waiting for a new owner, most likely gonna be a place like a local school, library, or the like.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($86.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI - H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($27.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($16.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Logisys - CS136BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $205.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-27 13:22 EDT-0400

Find a local company that is upgrading their machines and see if you can get a donation. 

Often IT departments will have an upgrade cycle and donations to even private schools are often tax deductible by businesses so you might be able to get them "for free". 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

Motherboard: MSI - H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($27.00 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($16.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Logisys - CS136BK ATX Mid Tower Case w/480W Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 

please describe me where the windows install is gonna come from?

6 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

That psu tho...

I know, I know, small budget and all that, but still. That could cause the pcs to die...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, MandalorePlayz said:

from amazon or newegg.

those are often more expensive than they need to be.

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

That psu tho...

I know, I know, small budget and all that, but still. That could cause the pcs to die...

As if most school prebuilt doesn't come with a fire hazard already... 

Still, it's not like we are powering a 1080 Ti and a 7700k

buy used parts in bulk and get them together into pc,s :P  bulk sales can end up beeing cheap enough to get them all built for 200$ each

(◑‿◐)

I think the list @deXxterlab97 made up would be the best. Everyone's suggesting second hand computers, but often that's hard to get right with the accounting. For a company it's most often easier to buy new.

27 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

As if most school prebuilt doesn't come with a fire hazard already... 

Still, it's not like we are powering a 1080 Ti and a 7700k

Not necessarily tho. I know that at least some OEM stuff use pretty good psus, they just have low wattage ratings.

EDIT: Plus the voltage ripple on that thing is probably bad enough that it could kill the mobo or something.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Do you think this will be able to run Maya smoothly? Renders will probably take a while but that is fine, will this run and model things well? 

2 hours ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

Edit: Teacher is letting me up the budget 50 dollars more to 250 dollars. What can the list be upgraded to?

Add another stick of memory, 8GB will help the speed some. Maybe up the disk storage but that's a hard one since you probably don't need a lot of storage on these machines. A 500GB Seagate is going for $29.09 right now so that's $12 more for double the storage...but do you need more storage?

18 hours ago, AncientNerd said:

Add another stick of memory, 8GB will help the speed some. Maybe up the disk storage but that's a hard one since you probably don't need a lot of storage on these machines. A 500GB Seagate is going for $29.09 right now so that's $12 more for double the storage...but do you need more storage?

No, how about an SSD? More ram is a good idea, Maya says it needs at least 8?

Hey, if you really live on Mercer Island then you might want to check out RE-PC in Seattle.  They got a lot of used components in bins to dig through if you want to save money.

20 hours ago, myspeakersaremuffled said:

No, how about an SSD? More ram is a good idea, Maya says it needs at least 8?

Well an SSD for this is probably overkill and the least expensive 240GB that I see is in the $80 price range so that kind of blows your budget.

If Maya says it needs at least 8 then you need at least 8, and I would consider more the biggest problem price wise is that the MB only has 2 slots and jumping to 8GB sticks jumps the price to $64 for 8GB which blows your budget if you try to go to 12GB ($64+$28 for memory). Otherwise just 8GB with 2 4GB sticks is just ($28x2).