Spotify Security

Hi guys.. Last week, just a day after I signed for a premium account, my spotify was hacked. Someone changed my email, and the type of account to family. After searching the web, I found multiple threads of this type of behavior.
So after contacting them and getting everything sorted, I started researching security measures to prevent this from ever happening again. And to my surprise, I found out that Spotify has no 2-Factor Authentication what-so-ever!

Futher than that, just last month, they decided to cancel this all together as non essential function.
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/2-factor-authentication/idi-p/1017889
How can a company of this size care so little about security? I'm dumbfounded by this...

Any of you had this kind of experience with them?

I found 2 factor authentication too much of a hassle, so I really despise it. But I haven't been hacked on spotify at all, so don't take my opinion. 

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

2 factor authentication on an app thats supposed to be open it play music easy  who tf is going out of there way to hack soptify accounts what are they getting out of it a 5$ subscription 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I do not really see the benefit of 2FA for services like Spotify or Netflix. 

As an option, it is always great to have the option. I have 2step on my Apple Watch and it works great!

I think it's great as an option (I use it on LTT) but I've had Spotify for years and years now with no such issues. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I don't like 2-factor authentication for the extra hassle it involves. I suppose it's alright for piece of mind, but in practicality, it's not helping my experience and/or efficiency.

I use 2FA in a lot of things, but I do a lot of stuff that pretty much requires it ... I also use long passwords 11-50 character passwords [I know impossible to remember] but that is what I do, commonly 2FA is not necessary for the common user.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2FA can go screw itself. It complicates your life for no point. I don't really care if my accounts are hacked, granted. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

I've had almost every account of mine hacked. Online games, YouTube, twitch.. Not this one though. 

2FA is a great option, it's a hassle but theres compromises to be taken with security. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

lets be honest, if they  can get into our spotify, they can get into your email to past 2fa. its worthless and either just confuses or annoys most users.

2FA only exists to make you feel safer, it doesnt actually do anything.

besides, its spotify, who cares? cancel the $5 sub, create a new account, follow the old one to see the playlists and port it over. takes less than 10 minutes.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

6 hours ago, Tsuki said:

2FA only exists to make you feel safer, it doesnt actually do anything.

That's not true.

If 2FA is implemented well it's strengthen the security a lot.

48 minutes ago, .spider. said:

That's not true.

If 2FA is implemented well it's strengthen the security a lot.

if i have access to your email(which if im actually targetting you, i do), or i can spoof your phone number(not as hard as it sounds), then 2FA is worthless

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 hours ago, Tsuki said:

if i have access to your email(which if im actually targetting you, i do), or i can spoof your phone number(not as hard as it sounds), then 2FA is worthless

You don't have access to my E-Mails and the login is secured by a 2FA TOTP. Thus having access to my short messages which is highly difficult to get won't help you.