Recommended PSU Wattage (375watts)

ArsalanKhan

We need to know which components you have. Mostly the CPU and GPU to say that. But for most builds I wouldn't go lower than 450W or 500W

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

1 minute ago, AndersT2 said:

We need to know which components you have. Mostly the CPU and GPU to say that. But for most builds I wouldn't go lower than 450W or 500W

i7 7700k , gtx 1060 6gb , 16 gb ram ddr3 and 2 case fan and 1 cpu fan

2 minutes ago, AndersT2 said:

agreed, but mostly because you CAN'T go any lower than that and get a quality PSU at the same time.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

agreed, but mostly because you CAN'T go any lower than that and get a quality PSU at the same time.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007657 50001697 600014014

I beg to differ.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

holy... well slap my momma!

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

guys , will a 400 or 450 watt do me any harm if im using it for 8 hours a day ?

Don't listen to SilouettePC. For some reason he's trolling.

Your CPU uses 95W, and GPU 120W. with other parts I would go lower than 500W. Gives a little room for overclocking if you want to try that, and at normal use somewhere in the sweetspot in the PSU, where it's most effective.

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.

Just now, ArsalanKhan said:

A PSU form a know brand, Corsair, EVGA ect, you can run 24/7 with out harm. Cheap nobrand I would run close to full load over time.

1 minute ago, ArsalanKhan said:

Not at all but I recommend a bit more like 500 or 600 because you can overclock a bit heavier

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

1 minute ago, ArsalanKhan said:

no, not likely, though it's never a good idea to run a PSU at or near full output for an extended period of time. Even OC'd the CPU & GPU will not flirt anywhere near maximum output of a 450W.

System specs:

18 minutes ago, ArsalanKhan said:

hi guys ,

cooler master shows Recommended PSU Wattage : 375 watts , what is the best wattage for me and would getting more than recommended be harmful ?

Okay, contributing to this topic.

Outervision's PSU calculator will by default grossly overestimate what you need. And since a lot of other PSU calculators seemed to be based on theirs, they also will grossly overestimate what you need. You can call this anecdotal, but I've measured the power consumption of four builds over the past 8 or so years and they never exceeded 250W while playing a reasonably taxing game. Except one build where I had SLI, in which case it didn't go past 350W or so. And at least two of those were with mildly overclocked components. I don't use a combination of Prime95 or FurMark for power consumption testing because that amount of load outside of those programs is exceedingly rare.

So as long as you get a quality power supply, a single video card system will be fine with 400W. Also another note is that power supplies are most efficient at 50% load.

42 minutes ago, ArsalanKhan said:

hi guys ,

cooler master shows Recommended PSU Wattage : 375 watts , what is the best wattage for me and would getting more than recommended be harmful ?

For your GTX 1060 a Corsair CX450 or CX450M would be fine for you.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Depends on your budget. Considering your pc though I would probably go for a corsair cx/CXM psu. If you can afford it something like a TXM or Focus Plus would be good.

29 minutes ago, AndersT2 said:

A PSU form a know brand, Corsair, EVGA ect, you can run 24/7 with out harm. Cheap nobrand I would run close to full load over time.

Just because it's from a "known brand" doesn't mean anything. Corsair and evga have plenty of crap PSUs.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

5 minutes ago, Corsair Blake said:

Just because they make it doesn't mean it's good. Got any performance reviews? :)

https://www.hardwareinsights.com/seasonic-energyknight-ss-350et-t3-the-cheapest-seasonic-unit/

But it's seasonic, it has to be good, because Seasonic.

Even if it isn't good at all...

What really pisses me off is the ANtec TP3 I have here.

Advertised as tripple rail, what protection chip does it use? HY-510N...

Great, the label is wrong and the unit in reality a "true single rail" unit without OCP on any rail.

Antec MT350 (TFXish Thing). Advertised with 2x17A +12V rails.

What protection IC it uses? Of course the HY-510N. So another label that's wrong. Another True Single Rail unit...

Seasonic seem to love those things...

Oh and if you have an EVGA GS550/650: DON't overload minor rails because they are not protected and will burn if overloaded...

I don't.

Because he is totally right!

The lowest wattage good quality unit you can get right now is in rare cases 400W (be quiet Pure Power 10 and Straight Power 10) and 450W like Cougar GX-S, Bitfenix Whisper M. And in the future the Straight Power E11 series. 

Just because there is a certain name on the label doesn't make the PSU good. And vice versa.

Just look at the review I've posted...

Those cheap Seasonic units tend to have a really bad protection IC...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

4 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

I like this part from the review:

"Seasonic managed to achieve an absolute record of uselessness of secondary supevisor, which kicked in not sooner than when the +12 V voltage felt under 8.4 V. Using so low-end components with no independent +12 V UVP input obviously has some “unwanted effects”."

32 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Just because there is a certain name on the label doesn't make the PSU good. And vice versa.

Just look at the review I've posted...

Those cheap Seasonic units tend to have a really bad protection IC...

I'll concede a name does not automatically equal quality, but I suppose if you are going for the bottom of the barrel, you have to cut corners somewhere.

However I did find: https://www.hardwareinsights.com/seasonic-ssp-350gt-review/4/

EDIT: However if we're going to play a game of semantics (because everyone likes that), then sure, I didn't do a good job of disproving that both a low wattage and high quality PSUs are possible. But to assume that low wattage and high quality PSUs are not possible is not really a good assumption either.

I mean technically Apple's laptop power bricks are both low wattage and high quality. Most of the time :P