Not sure if I should go with H100i v2 or NH-D14

Dagnis

I realize that you can find easy benchmarks online but my issue is that they aren't with replaced fans on the h100i v2, so I figured I'd ask the best community I know for this question/comparison. I just hope I'm doing this in the right sub-forum, please point me in the right direction if I'm not. 

So for a while now I've been planning on going with the H100i v2 and I'd replace the fans with Noctua NF-F12 PWM. My goal is to be fairly silent, and my BeQuiet Dark Base 900 (no window) case will help with this, as well as it being under my desk, not on it. However, lately I've been wondering if I should go with a NH-D14 since I plan to keep the cpu for 7-8 years. I realize this is a tough question, but how long is the h100i v2 likely to last without issues (pump or water evap wise). I'm also fearful of the NH-D14 falling or something off my motherboard and doing damage. How real should this fear be?

With the fans replaced on the radiator with more silent ones, will there be much of a performance difference between the two? I ask because it would seem the h100i v2 is considered louder then the NH-D14, but that is with the stock fans. 

I realize my situation may be specific, perhaps too much so, but anything similar could help me make the decision, and any addressing of my two fears (h100i v2 longevity and nh-d14 falling) would be appreciated. 

The Fear that the NH-D14 falls is close to 0 if you follow the instructions correctly. 

What I would do to achieve a comparison is check the replaced fans. Look up a benchmark on them. Then, translate some of that Info into the H100i review. What I mean: H100i review says tock fans are loud but NF-F12 review remarks how quiet they are? Well then loud stock fans aren't an issue.

If you don't have overclocking in mind stay with whatever you have (unless its broken or something, then choose the cheaper option [which will be the NF-F12 PWM ]) 

8 minutes ago, TheCliff said:

The Fear that the NH-D14 falls is close to 0 if you follow the instructions correctly. 

What I would do to achieve a comparison is check the replaced fans. Look up a benchmark on them. Then, translate some of that Info into the H100i review. What I mean: H100i review says tock fans are loud but NF-F12 review remarks how quiet they are? Well then loud stock fans aren't an issue.

If you don't have overclocking in mind stay with whatever you have (unless its broken or something, then choose the cheaper option [which will be the NF-F12 PWM ]) 

This is all for my future 8700k build which will be overclocked. Probably to whatever the 8700k equivalent of 7700k to 5ghz will be. 

H100i V2 will be louder with stock fans but should perform better, especially after replacing the fans with quality ones. The warranty period is 5 years so you should be fine, though remember that there are more points of failure on an AIO (I received my RMA'd H100i V2 like an hour ago, the pump died on the old one but I got a brand-new one so it's nice).

Also, keep in mind that the NH-D14 should be a bit quieter but I doubt there will be a noticeable difference vs H100i V2 with replaced fans, especially in your silent case.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Then use the AIO. Be aware that you do not know how the 8700k behaves so it may be too much for an AIO

AIO<custom loop

The NH-D14 (technically I dont know if you can buy that anymore I think it's now the NH-D15) will last longer generally because it has less points of failure, and easier problems o diagnose (is the cpu temp up? see if the fan is spinning) Over long periods of time pumps will die, which can be a bit harder to diagnose. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

6 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

H100i V2 will be louder with stock fans but should perform better, especially after replacing the fans with quality ones. The warranty period is 5 years so you should be fine, though remember that there are more points of failure on an AIO (I received my RMA'd H100i V2 like an hour ago, the pump died on the old one but I got a brand-new one so it's nice).

Also, keep in mind that the NH-D14 should be a bit quieter but I doubt there will be a noticeable difference vs H100i V2 with replaced fans, especially in your silent case.

Personally, not that much difference. Other component will be louder than your rad fans/cpu fans you set them to quiet mode with custom third party fans. At idle/light load it basically the same.

Magical Pineapples

Random thought, have you considered the Celsius s24? It's an aio but the stock fans are really good so you end up with one of the quietest aios on the market.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

18 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

17 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

The NH-D14 (technically I dont know if you can buy that anymore I think it's now the NH-D15) will last longer generally because it has less points of failure, and easier problems o diagnose (is the cpu temp up? see if the fan is spinning) Over long periods of time pumps will die, which can be a bit harder to diagnose. 

Thank you guys. I think I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D15 (you are right, it has changed, though I'm not sure how, I'll do some research). The reason is that the NH-D15 should easily last 7-8 years without any worries, and even if a fan dies it's much cheaper and easier to replace. On top of that the real cost is lower, only 90 bucks, vs the 150 of the H100i V2 (110 base + 2 fans @ 20ish dollars). 

Everyone seems to say the performance difference is non existent, and if anything the air will be more quiet because it simply won't have as many things generating sound (both will have two fans, aio will have pump in addition). 

1 hour ago, Dagnis said:

Thank you guys. I think I'm going to go with the Noctua NH-D15 (you are right, it has changed, though I'm not sure how, I'll do some research). The reason is that the NH-D15 should easily last 7-8 years without any worries, and even if a fan dies it's much cheaper and easier to replace. On top of that the real cost is lower, only 90 bucks, vs the 150 of the H100i V2 (110 base + 2 fans @ 20ish dollars). 

Everyone seems to say the performance difference is non existent, and if anything the air will be more quiet because it simply won't have as many things generating sound (both will have two fans, aio will have pump in addition). 

As someone who owns the D15, I highly recommend it.

it is just a massive cooler and you will really want low profile RAM if you want to use the second fan.

It's also worth mentioning that it blocks the top PCI-E 1x slot on my motherboard, so you need to make those considerations.

With my build, I sit around 50-55C at load, 65C when running benchmarks.

This is with a silent fan curve, mind you.

I opted against water cooling this time around just to have zero risk.

You also get a 6 year warranty along with a tube of their thermal paste and the tools you need to get the job done.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

1 minute ago, Jon Jon said:

As someone who owns the D15, I highly recommend it.

it is just a massive cooler and you will really want low profile RAM if you want to use the second fan.

It's also worth mentioning that it blocks the top PCI-E 1x slot on my motherboard, so you need to make those considerations.

With my build, I sit around 50-55C at load, 65C when running benchmarks.

This is with a silent fan curve, mind you.

I opted against water cooling this time around just to have zero risk.

You also get a 6 year warranty along with a tube of their thermal paste and the tools you need to get the job done.

Good to know. I plan on using the Asus Strix z370-h (I believe it has two x16 PCIe slots) 

For ram I'm going to go with corsair vengence, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233910&ignorebbr=1

Sorry for sort of moving the topic, but I'd figure I'd ask. 

7 minutes ago, Dagnis said:

Good to know. I plan on using the Asus Strix z370-h (I believe it has two x16 PCIe slots) 

For ram I'm going to go with corsair vengence, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233910&ignorebbr=1

Sorry for sort of moving the topic, but I'd figure I'd ask. 

LPX will be fine.

That is what I am using, but be aware that if you use the second fan, it will rest on top of the RAM and be pushed up a little bit.

Not enough to matter, but just be aware.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

On 21/09/2017 at 6:06 AM, TheCliff said:

Then use the AIO. Be aware that you do not know how the 8700k behaves so it may be too much for an AIO

AIO<custom loop

No way it'll require custom loop cooling. That's an unreasonable request and Intel knows it. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo