UWP apps on Xbox One are getting massive performance improvements this Fall

AlTech

UWP apps on Xbox One have traditionally not performed amazingly and Microsoft wants to change that.

UWP apps on Xbox One currently only have access to 1GB RAM, 4 Shared CPU cores and 50% of the GPU resources.

This fall, UWP apps on Xbox One will be able to use Up To 5GB RAM, 6 Exclusive CPU cores, and 100% of the GPU.

This is absolutely incredible and is a much needed boost for UWP on Xbox One.

Quoting for me doesn't seem to work on Mobile so I'm putting quotation marks around the quote.

"One of the benefits of the convergence of operating systems between Windows and Xbox is that developers can target both platforms with a lot of shared code by leveraging the Universal Windows Platform (UWP) for development. However, games published to Xbox One through the Windows Store have thus far been relatively limited in terms of access to hardware resources on the console. Now, in a move that will please developers, Microsoft has announced it will free up access to more system resources for UWP games on Xbox One this fall."

Source: 

https://m.windowscentral.com/uwp-games-are-getting-access-more-resources-xbox-one-fall

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Wait what is uwp and what does it affect?

"Universal Windows Platform" or something. Basically apps that can run on Windows 10 and Xbox, and Windows Phone if applicable.

Or basically, any application on Windows 10 that isn't Win32, like the Calculator app.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

So they are merely lifting a deliberately placed limitation on the Xbox. Way to spin it as a performance improvement. 

Objectively it can be seen as a performance improvement. Deliberately placed limitation for little reason? Yes. But spinning? Not really. In the strictest sense, OP isn't wrong.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

Wait what is uwp and what does it affect?

UWP is an app model. It's a way of making apps for WIndows 10.

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

"Universal Windows Platform"

correct,

Basically apps that can run on Windows 10 and Xbox, and Windows Phone if applicable.

Not necessarily but they can.

Windows 10 PC is the primary Device Family. Xbox and Mobile are still second class citizens. HoloLens is HoloLens.

Or basically, any application on Windows 10 that isn't Win32, like the Calculator app.

Yes.

Objectively it can be seen as a performance improvement. Deliberately placed limitation for little reason? Yes.

To be fair, the UWP on Xbox One programme is only a year old despite the fact that UWP on PC is over 2 years old.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

So between the performance and the fact UWP apps run on it at all, I get the impression they're trying to turn it into a PC.

Untitled-1.png.7c35ac4d2f298e41ea69c124a59fbbdd.png

Seems like an odd choice, I would think it'd be easier to expand that blue circle to claim the last little piece than trying to expand the red one to fill that whole area....

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.