The first 2.5K (2560x1440) phone is here and it's made by Vivo

TopWargamer

http://www.phonearena.com/news/First-2K-display-phone-Vivo-Xplay-3S-coming-in-five-chassis-colors-group-picture-suggests_id49945

Vivo-Xplay-3S-colors.jpg

Vivo Xplay 3S, expected to be announced December 12th, is shaping up to be the first 2K display phone with the eyepopping resolution of 2560x1440 pixels. In order to drive that many pixels, Vivo has allegedly equipped the thin handset with a fast Snapdragon 800 processor and a large battery, but we'll judge about the performance and endurance when the phone hits the market with such a setup.

Only known things about the phone:

-Comes in 5 colors

-Powered by the Snapdragon 800

-Will have a ''large battery''

(Definitely won't be cheap. I'm gonna guesstimate a $1000 starting price, maybe higher.)

I want more specs on this phone, because it sounds really cool (at least to me it does). Will we be able to see the difference between 1080p and 1440p screens? No, probably not, but at least this SHOULD help in driving down the cost of 2.5K displays on the desktop side.

COMIC SANS

On a screen that size?

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why it's such a damn problem to get me high res 24inch displays?  <_<

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

That actually looks like a pretty nice quality phone, don't see the point in such a high res though...

Intel i7 3770k, Maximus V Formula, 32GB G.Skill 1600MHz RAM, ASUS DCUII GTX 670

Absolutely useless, no point in higher resolution than HD on a phone. 

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

Even with a "large battery" I'm skeptical. Battery probably won't last a day...

I have worries with this technology, its been a while since I have compiled my android build, so I'm not sure how the framework has changed, but is the framework ready for this. I mean that if the res of the phone changes, the way android scales has to change too. That means we need some higher res images in the whole OS, (ninepatch PNGs are an exception) which means higher resource usage. I want to know more of the specs of this phone, I am curious.

2560x1440 is actually 2.5K. 1920x1080 is 2K.

Anyway I think this is the last time we increase the resolution on ~5-6" phones. Hell, it will barely be an upgrade from 1920x1080 (it will be though, no matter what some people say) in most situations.

What we really need is lower power displays, because the screen is by far the biggest energy thief in phones and tablets.

I can still not find any pixels on my S4...

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Ah, the stupidity! I don't know who to blame for this, but pushing more pixels on phones these days are just not needed. Manufacturers wants to make more money and it seems the way to do that is to push every spec further than the next guy. But were it not for the consumers and the way they think, it probably wouldn't be that way. Or maybe it's the sensationalist press who keeps giving manufacturers free advertising each time they push out new ridiculous specs. 

I guess, in the end, this kind of behavior will push technology forwards, but today, as it stands right now, they're only making phones worse!

Also, 2,5K, not 2K.

eh dont care until theres 4k phones lol i want more pixel i dont care if its not needed more is better!!!

Stupidity for the masses.

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

So how long will the battery last? There were rumors about a 2.5k samsung galaxy s5 with a 4000 mah battery. It is either cool or necessary for the phone as linus said xD

On a screen that size?

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why it's such a damn problem to get me high res 24inch displays?  <_<

Don't worry, dell 24" and 28" 4K IPS with a reasonable price are making their way to market!

I can still not find any pixels on my S4...

Here, open this image and set it to 100% zoom (double tapping the image sets it to 100% zoom in the stock TouchWiz browser). If you can see the black dot inside the ring then you can see more than 440 PPI (I suggest you save it and open it in the image viewer).

Personally I can see it up to about ~30cm (11.8 inches) away and then it disappears. I quite often use my phone at closer than 30cm away so for me we are not quite at the point where we got "retina" displays yet. It becomes far easier to see if you make a white dot on black by the way (black dot on white is basically worst case scenario since the white light drowns out the black pixel). So for me, the line between "retina" and none-retina display is about 450 PPI. Slightly more than the Galaxy S 4 (maybe just switching from the GRBG matrix would be enough) has. 2560x1440 is the next logical step but overkill for 5" phones. It's slightly overkill for 6" "phones" as well.

So yeah, like I said before I think this is the last time we should upgrade the PPI. Anything over 2560x1440 for 6" phones is overkill. If we had something between 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 then I'd say anything over that would be overkill for 5" phones.

http://i.imgur.com/CRgtpta.png?1

Here, open this image and set it to 100% zoom (double tapping the image sets it to 100% zoom in the stock TouchWiz browser). If you can see the black dot inside the ring then you can see more than 440 PPI (I suggest you save it and open it in the image viewer).

Personally I can see it up to about ~30cm (11.8 inches) away and then it disappears. I quite often use my phone at closer than 30cm away so for me we are not quite at the point where we got "retina" displays yet. It becomes far easier to see if you make a white dot on black by the way (black dot on white is basically worst case scenario since the white light drowns out the black pixel). So for me, the line between "retina" and none-retina display is about 450 PPI. Slightly more than the Galaxy S 4 (maybe just switching from the GRBG matrix would be enough) has. 2560x1440 is the next logical step but overkill for 5" phones. It's slightly overkill for 6" "phones" as well.

So yeah, like I said before I think this is the last time we should upgrade the PPI. Anything over 2560x1440 for 6" phones is overkill. If we had something between 1920x1080 and 2560x1440 then I'd say anything over that would be overkill for 5" phones.

http://i.imgur.com/CRgtpta.png?1

I can see that in my HTC one, and this thing had a pretty dense pixel array.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

So idiotic.  How will this benefit anyone?

The screens won't be very noticeably sharper.  I don't care if you can still see pixels on your 1920x1080 phone; do you lose sleep at night knowing that your screen is visibly made up of pixels?  I mean come on.  It's great that we pushed past 800x480 years ago, but now it's getting ridiculous.  Do phone manufacturers not understand the concept of diminishing returns?

And this will open up the door for a host of issues.  Battery life will still be awful (the fact that nearly no progress has been made toward making smartphones last longer than 16 hours is absurd), games will look like poo and run like poo trying to push that many pixels, and the screens will be that much more expensive.  All this so the curve on the letter C can be 10% smoother.

I swear, the PPI race has just turned into a dick measuring contest between manufacturers.

I don't know, maybe I'm just butthurt about not having a 24" 2560x1440 monitor.  But I feel higher resolution desktop monitors are infinitely more sensible.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

2560x1440 is actually 2.5K. 1920x1080 is 2K.

I was going off of the article, since that's what it said.

>_>

COMIC SANS

Why 2.5k pixel rate on a phone. Is it really what the market craves in a phone these days.

Core - EVGA Classified 3 | i7 980x | 12GB Corsair Dominator GT | Lian Li P80 | Corsair 128 Neutron GTX | 2 x WD 500gb Velociraptor | Asus Xonar Xense | 2 x EVGA 590 | Enermax Platimax 1500

Water Cooling - Alphacool NexXxos 360 Monsta | TFC 360 | Alphacool D5 Vario | Alphacool 250 Tube res | EK Supreme HF Nickle Plexi | 2 x EK Nickle Plexi 590 WB | Aquaero 5 XT

much pixel

so amaze

wow

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Now this is even more pointless than HD screens, it's obvious we'll see first smartphone models with 4K in 2 years max. Just pixels, pixels... Why not rather push for higher quality displays with more colours etc?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Now this is even more pointless than HD screens, it's obvious we'll see first smartphone models with 4K in 2 years max. Just pixels, pixels... Why not rather push for higher quality displays with more colours etc?

Becos retardation for teh nation?

Le Bastardo+ 

i7 4770k + OCUK Fathom HW labs Black Ice 240 rad + Mayhem's Gigachew orange + 16GB Avexir Core Orange 2133 + Gigachew GA-Z87X-OC + 2x Gigachew WF 780Ti SLi + SoundBlaster Z + 1TB Crucial M550 + 2TB Seagate Barracude 7200rpm + LG BDR/DVDR + Superflower Leadex 1KW Platinum + NZXT Switch 810 Gun Metal + Dell U2713H + Logitech G602 + Ducky DK-9008 Shine 3 MX Brown

Red Alert

FX 8320 AMD = Noctua NHU12P = 8GB Avexir Blitz 2000 = ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 = Sapphire Radeon R9 290 TRI-X = 1TB Hitachi Deskstar & 500GB Hitachi Deskstar = Samsung DVDR/CDR = SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W 80 Plus Gold = Xigmatek Utguard = AOC 22" LED 1920x1080 = Logitech G110 = SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Becos retardation for teh nation?

Hooray for more retardation!

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!