Schiit did some stuff

spwath

Just a heads up for all:

New Magni 3 released. More power than magni 2, should sound better, has aluminum body, has pre outs, and still same price. That's good. Seems like it could/should be recommended over the Fulla 2 now.

Vali 2 price drop to $149. That's very good too. Makes one consider recommending it over the Magni, at least for certain headphones.

And they are doing more stuff soon. A magic gadget and another thing are coming.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

10 minutes ago, spwath said:

Seems like it could/should be recommended over the Fulla 2 now.

Fulla 2 is a DAC/Amp combo, they are not really comparable. 

10 minutes ago, spwath said:

magic gadget

I have huge issues with this "gadget". Magni 3 and Vali 2 is pretty awesome. Safe to say that Schiit pretty much has the entry-level/budget market nailed down.

It is stupidly powerful now with 3W RMS per channel at 16 ohm vs 1.8W RMS per channel at 16 ohms on the magni 2.

THD went from 0.003 to 0.001% and the IMD went from 0.004 to 0.001%, but output impedance went from less than 0.2 ohm to less than 0.3 ohm, which by no means is bad. Not that the THD and IMD numbers really matter

It isn't in EU yet and probably won't be for about a month, but if I can get some kind soul to loan me one once it hits EU then I will happily test it out :D 

I can't wait to see their next products :)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

You know I kid you not, this morning I thought to myself, "I wonder when Schiit is going to come out with a 3 version of one of their products?"

Just now, Max_Settings said:

You know I kid you not, this morning I thought to myself, "I wonder when Schiit is going to come out with a 3 version of one of their products?"

I had known for a little while that they were going to update some products, but I didn't know that it was going to be this soon :D 

Hopefully they are going to make a gungnir multibit 2, I would be all over that DAC :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

It is stupidly powerful now with 3W RMS per channel at 16 ohm vs 1.8W RMS per channel at 16 ohms on the magni 2.

THD went from 0.003 to 0.001% and the IMD went from 0.004 to 0.001%, but output impedance went from less than 0.2 ohm to less than 0.3 ohm, which by no means is bad. Not that the THD and IMD numbers really matter

It isn't in EU yet and probably won't be for about a month, but if I can get some kind soul to loan me one once it hits EU then I will happily test it out :D 

I can't wait to see their next products :)

Actually it has even more power than the Vali 2, Asgard 2, and Valhalla 2 from what I can tell. Dang Schiit is about to kill the sales of their higher end stuff.

16 minutes ago, SSL said:

I have huge issues with this "gadget". Magni 3 and Vali 2 is pretty awesome. Safe to say that Schiit pretty much has the entry-level/budget market nailed down.

i saw what you said, but mike seems very enthusiastic about it. Once more impressions, and hopefully a loaner, come in, it should be more obvious exactly what it does and how it makes things sound.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

7 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Actually it has even more power than the Vali 2, Asgard 2, and Valhalla 2 from what I can tell. Dang Schiit is about to kill the sales of their higher end stuff.

Well we don't know how it actually sounds yet, not everything is about pure power hence why I want to test it,  but damn it looks good for 99$ and I can't imagine it being worse than the magni 2. Once it hits EU then I am probably going to edit my list and make the magni 2 to magni 3

Just now, Dackzy said:

Well we don't know how it actually sounds yet, not everything is about pure power hence why I want to test it,  but damn it looks good for 99$ and I can't imagine it being worse than the magni 2. Once it hits EU then I am probably going to edit my list and make the magni 2 to magni 3

Yeah I can't imagine it being worse either. This one is probably going to make everyone who bought Massdrop O2 Amps regret it. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but this has more power than even the Magni 2 Uber.

9 minutes ago, spwath said:

i saw what you said, but mike seems very enthusiastic about it. Once more impressions, and hopefully a loaner, come in, it should be more obvious exactly what it does and how it makes things sound.

Seems pretty clear what it does; it detects the pitch reference of the source material and corrects it to C=256 which Mike discovered "by accident" to sound better. Nevermind that C=256 has been used in scientific literature and at least someone has been bound to try such a tuning before.

What I'm saying is that this is pretty much snakeoil. No point is sugar coating it just because Mike makes great DACs.

6 minutes ago, Max_Settings said:

Yeah I can't imagine it being worse either. This one is probably going to make everyone who bought Massdrop O2 Amps regret it. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but this has more power than even the Magni 2 Uber.

Magni 3 will no doubt shit on the O2. Even the Magni 2/U was a better topology.

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Well the O2 kinda became meh once schiit started to gain popularity and started to be easy to find for a lot of people. It is nice to see uber features on a none uber model, like pre amp.

God damn I want to test it. Hmm,  I need to contact them or find a dude here that is buying one or find a way get 125€ + 12€ for shipping. (student life isn't easy)

3 minutes ago, SSL said:

Seems pretty clear what it does; it detects the pitch reference of the source material and corrects it to C=256 which Mike discovered "by accident" to sound better. Nevermind that C=256 has been used in scientific literature and at least someone has been bound to try such a tuning before.

What I'm saying is that this is pretty much snakeoil. No point is sugar coating it just because Mike makes great DACs.

Maybe. But I'm just going to wait and see, because that is the best way, and because I don't understand psychoacoustics enough to understand how it works/doesn't work.

Maybe Modi 3 next? Which will actually be noticeably better than the ODAC, OL DAC, or SDAC.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

Maybe. But I'm just going to wait and see, because that is the best way, and because I don't understand psychoacoustics enough to understand how it works/doesn't work.

I think there's a line that has to be drawn where reasonable plausibility dictates that an idea is suspect. The thing that seems the most unlikely is that Mike fucking Moffat is the first person ever to stumble upon this discovery. It's not like C=256 is an obscure or revolutionary idea.

Just now, SSL said:

I think there's a line that has to be drawn where reasonable plausibility dictates that an idea is suspect. The thing that seems the most unlikely is that Mike fucking Moffat is the first person ever to stumble upon this discovery. It's not like C=256 is an obscure or revolutionary idea.

Yeah, I guess. I'm still hoping it does some magic voodoo that makes music sound better though.

And wondering what the third item that they are releasing will be.

And realizing the (positive) bias I and many others have toward Schiit.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

I'm still hoping it does some magic voodoo that makes music sound better though.

I was thinking that it did back when I thought that it was using some crazy algorithm to change the temperament on the fly - although that seemed like a stretch technically. Now that I know that it is apparently just a dynamic pitch-correction algorithm, I'm honestly shocked that this is the super secret device that has been hyped up for so long. 

1 minute ago, SSL said:

I was thinking that it did back when I thought that it was using some crazy algorithm to change the temperament on the fly - although that seemed like a stretch technically. Now that I know that it is apparently just a dynamic pitch-correction algorithm, I'm honestly shocked that this is the super secret device that has been hyped up for so long. 

Yeah, that seems pretty impossible to change temperament without actually doing it to the instruments.

Still, if it just changes pitch, why not use free software?

Just now, spwath said:

Yeah, that seems pretty impossible to change temperament without actually doing it to the instruments.

Still, if it just changes pitch, why not use free software?

Ah, because we need a special closed-form filter to not fuck the original samples of the music and completely ruin it.

19 minutes ago, SSL said:

Seems pretty clear what it does; it detects the pitch reference of the source material and corrects it to C=256 which Mike discovered "by accident" to sound better

Do you mean that it's actually changing the tuning of it's output from the whatever the original uses (which is pretty much A=440) to a C=256 Hz (A=430.54 Hz)?

Is this speculation or has it been said by Schiit? / Is there a source for this?

Just now, anothertom said:

Do you mean that it's actually changing the tuning of it's output from the whatever the original uses (which is pretty much A=440) to a C=256 Hz (A=430.54 Hz)?

Is this speculation or has it been said by Schiit? / Is there a source for this?

http://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/the-mike-moffat-2-at-schiit-blog.3507/page-22#post-161604

Baldr is Mike Moffat, #2 at Schiit.

Just now, anothertom said:

As far as I am aware (this product is not released yet by Schiit), this device will use an algorithm to detect the tuning of the music on the fly and globally shift the pitch to C=256. Pending more information this is literally all that the device is supposed to do.

Now, actually physically changing the tuning on acoustic instruments does change the timbre and there is a case to be made for using a lower tuning than A=440. But just changing the tuning in software is not going to have any of those effects such as changing harmonic balance or what have you.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

As far as I am aware (this product is not released yet by Schiit), this device will use an algorithm to detect the tuning of the music on the fly and globally shift the pitch to C=256. Pending more information this is literally all that the device is supposed to do.

Now, actually physically changing the tuning on acoustic instruments does change the timbre and there is a case to be made for using a lower tuning than A=440. But just changing the tuning in software is not going to have any of those effects such as changing harmonic balance or what have you.

I am confused about one thing. Isnt C=256 the same as A=432? Or is something different because of temperament?