PSU for SLI GTX 970

Steven9595
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

That PSU will be fine. That said, you wanted something cheaper, so...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rt8H99/evga-power-supply-210gq0750

Hey all,

I was just given a 2nd GTX 970 for free from my friend, and I was wondering what PSU I should look at that'll support SLI 970s? I'm currently looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for anything a bit cheaper? 

Thanks for your help!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

1 minute ago, Steven9595 said:

Hey all,

I was just given a 2nd GTX 970 for free from my friend, and I was wondering what PSU I should look at that'll support SLI 970s? I'm currently looking at the EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750W, but I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for anything a bit cheaper? 

Thanks for your help!

the current 600W you have should be enough

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Just now, SeanAngelo said:

the current 600W you have should be enough

But it doesn't have enough power plugs for a 2nd GPU, only for one :(

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, Steven9595 said:

But it doesn't have enough power plugs for a 2nd GPU, only for one :(

oh right, get the psu suggested above then

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Thank you! Just realized I was filtering by fully-modular on pcpartpicker ?

25 minutes ago, Steven9595 said:

Hey all,

Thanks for your help!

SLI with two GTX 970 is a very bad idea due to their Memory Architecture and other shit (doesn't work most of the times, frametimes/µstuttering).

So you'd be better off selling your 970 and get a new one instead...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

When SLI works fine, you'll love it.

When it won't, you'll hate it.

It's a game to game basis, there is no clear cut answer whether its good or bad... it's both.

Determine if you want to diagnose potential performance problems or not, if not, sell both off and upgrade if your chasing higher performance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 hours ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

When SLI works fine, you'll love it.

When it won't, you'll hate it.

Even if it works, it's not that great.

Especially when talking about GTX 970 with its shitty memory architecture, limited VRAM and so on.

Buttom Line: Sell the Card, get something else that's better instead. That alwayw works and is faster than your GTX 970...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

7 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Even if it works, it's not that great.

Especially when talking about GTX 970 with its shitty memory architecture, limited VRAM and so on.

Buttom Line: Sell the Card, get something else that's better instead. That alwayw works and is faster than your GTX 970...

Almost seems like you have not used the combo yourself...

When it works, it was GREAT in many titles.

Shitty memory architecture still performs! I didn't encounter stuttering until I legit used 4GB and any 4GB cards suffers the same...
I used over 3.8GB without issue.

True, better options exist, but when lacking options (outside of the OP's case) and if this what you have to use, it's not exactly the worst thing you could do.

Again - it feels like you've had limited experience (with less games) with 970 SLI because I & many others use them fine in many titles.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

51 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Almost seems like you have not used the combo yourself...

When it works, it was GREAT in many titles.

Shitty memory architecture still performs! I didn't encounter stuttering until I legit used 4GB and any 4GB cards suffers the same...
I used over 3.8GB without issue.

True, better options exist, but when lacking options (outside of the OP's case) and if this what you have to use, it's not exactly the worst thing you could do.

Again - it feels like you've had limited experience (with less games) with 970 SLI because I & many others use them fine in many titles.

I have "used" 3.5GB on my 3GB R9 280, it doesn't mean I am actually have 3.5GB in the VRAM of the GPU, just 3.5GB of game files are allocated to be allowed inside the GPUs VRAM at once (Some not needed textures will be over written with textures that are needed when they are needed in the VRAM)