Should YOU Upgrade to Ryzen?

1 hour ago, The Angry Computersmasher said:

And still no Windows 7 support on Ryzen. That means no Ryzen drivers for Windows 7. Thanks, Micro$oft.

There are unofficial ways to get it working.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

to expand on my NO!!!!!!!!!!! earlier that wasn't a don't buy Ryzen ever, that was a DON'T DO IT RIGHT NOW, Coffee Lake is according to rumors just weeks away, if you bought Ryzen today you might be like those people that paid 700 bucks for a GTX 1080 at the end of February only to have the 1080ti drop and with it a price drop on the card they just bought. EVERYONE should wait and see where things land after Coffee Lake launches and to those that want to complain about Intel changing up sockets, BUY A BETTER CPU TO START WITH, as exampled by the charts in this video a 2600k Intel from 4 and a half YEARS AGO is still a very valid chip even compared to Ryzen and even some of the Intel offerings showing that if you START with a good chip that chip will outlast the socket regardless of which team you chose.

An Arguement for higher core count gaming rigs.

If you can, cast your mind back to 2007, core 2 duo were the norm, Core 2 Quads were for the high end and core 2 EXTREME had 6 cores! and HT! but that was for a workstation that can game much like threadripper is now. 2007 a game called Crysis came out and it was the first to utilise 4 cores! Least as far as I can remember as I spent a lot of time in PC magazines and on forums and thats how i remember it. People then said 4 cores for gaming is way overkill and anyone buying a quad core is just flashing their cash or in the case of the 6 core 12 thread 1388 socket their epeen and just throwing money away if gaming is their only use. 

I make the arguement that with more cores and time developers will be able to offload more processing to the cpu in game titles and potentially have far wider application of environmental physics and character real time physics. With intel now coming to the "more cores for all" table meaning Ryzens cheaper per dollar core count and intels coffee lake having 6 cores in the i5 and 6c/12t in the i7 it should be reasonable to assume that in say 3 years (a generous guess) we will have more titles that utilise the extra common core count. Basing this on the fact that Crysis although ran al 4 cores it also could perform decently with settings turned down for lesser core cpu's. 

This arguement is for people like myself who will prefer to upgrade their graphics card every 2-3 years and cpu 5-6 years (2011 release 2600K anyone?) as it represents the best use of their money in a budget concious household. In the case of mine, a multiple gaming PC household (My missus, 2 sons, myself and a media PC) now the kids are being weened off the console into the PC Master Race. I'm considering a Ryzen 7 1700 OR 1600 OR the coffee lake i7 for a 6year plug and forget CPU. However we're yet to see the pricing for coffee lake. That will be the deciding factor. 

Even if in 6 years developers decide to stick to a quad core utilisation (and ive no idea why they would do that so please tell me a good reason for them to do so with the past showing the opposite) you are paying $250-$350 for a 6 core cpu that never drops or has noticeable performance issues then what is the problem. None of us are benchmarking daily against our cpu of choices competition and if you are then you need to come to terms with the choices you made in life and cpu and just get on with your day. 
You could have saved a small percentage of your overall PC's build going a quad core and that extra $100 was wasted ONLY if you only game and devs dont up their cpu load in games. 
Unlike if you went for supreme overkill like threadripper where I dont believe you will see the same value at the twilight of your PC's life apart maybe from PCI-e on cpu lanes expandability but I digress.

Your thoughts? Id be interested to hear what the LTT team think about this case for long life cpu uses. Set and forget imo.

1 hour ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

I can also get DOOM working on a printer but that doesnt mean its supported

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

Just now, Clanscorpia said:

I can also get DOOM working on a printer but that doesnt mean its supported

That's extremely exaggerated.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

That's extremely exaggerated.

Just because something works doesnt mean its supported

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

2 minutes ago, Clanscorpia said:

Just because something works doesnt mean its supported

Your point is? It still works.

✨PC Specs✨

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

Your point is? It still works.

If it was say, a mission critical computer in a business, not having that full support could lead to severe issues later down the road.

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

If it was say, a mission critical computer in a business, not having that full support could lead to severe issues later down the road.

What mission critical computer would be running unsupported software in the first place? We're talking about an average gamer here.

✨PC Specs✨

4 minutes ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

What mission critical computer would be running unsupported software in the first place? We're talking about an average gamer here.

If people are saying "it works" when talking about unsupported software they might think it works. Thats why you cant spread misinformation

Spoiler

AXIOM

1 minute ago, Clanscorpia said:

If people are saying "it works" when talking about unsupported software they might think it works. Thats why you cant spread misinformation

Saying that there's Unofficial ways of getting it working is not misinformation.

Saying that it will work and be 100% reliable is.

✨PC Specs✨

1 minute ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

Saying that there's Unofficial ways of getting it working is not misinformation.

Saying that it will work and be 100% reliable is.

You said "it works", which to some people means it has no issues. Remember, not every company has a good IT department. Look at Equifax...

Spoiler

AXIOM

14 hours ago, The Angry Computersmasher said:

And still no Windows 7 support on Ryzen. That means no Ryzen drivers for Windows 7. Thanks, Micro$oft.

13 hours ago, ShadowTechXTS said:

11 hours ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Am I missing something about support for Ryzen on Win7?

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 7 - 64

???

I was about to point out the  same - that looks pretty official to me.

11 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

If something works, and you say it works, that isn't exactly misinformation.

13 hours ago, Clanscorpia said:

Theysaid that there are ways to get it to work "unofficially" at the beginning. If anyone goes through the thread they'll see that first. The entire reason they said "it still works" was because you chose to pedantic about it so stop, it's annoying watching you try and nitpick someone just to try and back them into a corner...

Does anyone know...

Why Sandy Bridge is the oldest generation taken into account? Why is Nehalem left out? I think it's not the first time I see this trend.

I mean, I have two running systems, one with a Nehalem chip (i7 930) and the other with a Haswell one (i7 4790K), both built with similar capabilities. Of course there are performance differences between them, but I'm every time more and more surprised about how good the first generation one ages.

Since the aim of this comparison is to decide if it's time for an upgrade from Intel's I5/i7 to AMD's Ryzen , wouldn't it make more sense to include all the generations? Or is there a clear reason why 2nd generation owners may be considering to keep their chips but all 1st generation ones might consider upgrading?

22 hours ago, The Angry Computersmasher said:

Or maybe AMD just doesn't want to support an old OS. Microsoft can't magically poop out AMD drivers by themselves.

i dont see ryzen giving more fps than a 4.7ghz 3770k with 2400mhz ram in PUBG. And thats the only demanding app i use. So its a nay for me. 

19 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Or maybe AMD just doesn't want to support an old OS. Microsoft can't magically poop out AMD drivers by themselves.

That comment I've made doesn't imply Microsoft magically poop out AMD drivers by themselves; what that comment implies is that there aren't any Ryzen drivers for Windows 7, which was later proven incorrect by @NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle and @ShadowTechXTS, also a few minutes of reading any Ryzen motherboard pages. Windows 7 isn't really unsupported yet on Ryzen (and surprisingly Ryzen Threadripper). Also, AMD does support Windows 7 for a while, as NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle has stated.

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

29 minutes ago, The Angry Computersmasher said:

That comment I've made doesn't imply Microsoft magically poop out AMD drivers by themselves; what that comment implies is that there aren't any Ryzen drivers for Windows 7, which was later proven incorrect by @NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle and @ShadowTechXTS, also a few minutes of reading any Ryzen motherboard pages. Windows 7 isn't really unsupported yet on Ryzen (and surprisingly Ryzen Threadripper). Also, AMD does support Windows 7 for a while, as NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle has stated.

At the end of your comment you wrote "Thanks Micro$soft", which I took to be a snarky jab at Microsoft not wanting to support Ryzen. Except it's pretty much on the onus of the hardware manufacturer to support an OS, not the other way around.

If AMD didn't want to support Ryzen on Windows 7, Microsoft has no reason to spend resources making sure Windows works as best it can on it. If Microsoft runs into an issue that they can deduce is a hardware problem (like scheduling), they can't ask AMD for help because AMD will just say "well we don't support hardware X on OS Y".  However, take that all to be an example; I'm not trying to single out AMD. It happens with any hardware manufacturer. Also, unsupported doesn't mean it won't run period. It just means you're on your own if you want to run it.

Though Microsoft's nuclear solution of basically neutering support for you if you're running a still supported OS but running it on an unsupported hardware configuration is questionable.

EDIT: Yes I understand the reverse can be true, but most of the time, the software developer needs help from the hardware manufacturer to get things working. If the hardware manufacturer doesn't want to support something, then there's nothing the developer really can do. Whereas if the developer doesn't want to support something, the hardware manufacturer likely has enough information about how the software works to get close enough to get something that's stable. Or they can pay the developer extra to spin up a team for support just for that period.

Case in point, Intel still makes Ethernet drivers for MS-DOS.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

*wall of text*

I think I really do agree with you here.

I edit after I post, so wait until I'm done editing if you're about to reply.

The Angry Computersmasher - were I probably rant about stuff that irks me.

I'm hoping to build in a month or two and will be going with Ryzen. i5 6600k to Ryzen 7, will make streaming iRacing a non-issue.

• 2 weeks later...

So Would I Be Okay Choosing The Ryzen 7 For My Gaming Only PC? I Don’t Ever Plan To Stream Or Create Media.

I’m Wanting A Very High 1080P FPS With The Posabitly To Upgrade To 4K Later.

This Will Be My First Gaming PC So Any Suggestions For A Motherboard Would Be Very Much Appreciated, Preferably With Quad Ram Support? I Was Given 4 x 4GB Ram Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 MT/s That I Would Love To Use As They Are New & Free. 

Thanks For The Help! ? 

Not sure what to tell ya. Not really an expert on M/B. Regarding your 4 sticks of RAM you can populate any variant of the M/B as long as it has 4 DIMM slots (I believe mini-ITX M/B have only 2 available). Ryzen CPUs support Dual channel DDR4. In short 4 Sticks of RAM does not allways equate to Quad  channel RAM unless it says so on the package.

As for the 1080p only gaming you could go with a Ryzen5 or even better for intell 7700K, as I understand it it is still the best gaming processor.

2 hours ago, Tony1018 said:

So Would I Be Okay Choosing The Ryzen 7 For My Gaming Only PC? I Don’t Ever Plan To Stream Or Create Media.

I’m Wanting A Very High 1080P FPS With The Posabitly To Upgrade To 4K Later.

This Will Be My First Gaming PC So Any Suggestions For A Motherboard Would Be Very Much Appreciated, Preferably With Quad Ram Support? I Was Given 4 x 4GB Ram Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 2400 MT/s That I Would Love To Use As They Are New & Free. 

Thanks For The Help! ? 

Ryzen 7 is the best choice right now because of its ability to multi-task through its 8 cores/16 threads in not just gaming. Since you don't plan on streaming or content creation, getting Ryzen 5 1600 would be a better choice. Do note that ALL Ryzen chips are overclockable so performance can be improved.

That being said, with Coffee Lake coming out in a few days, you might want to consider Intel's i5 (i7 if you have the money) because gaming wise, they seem to perform a bit better than Ryzen. Please take this statement with a grain of salt since I am basing this on the leaked benchmarks. Wait for official reviews if you will consider Coffee Lake.

For your RAM situation, Ryzen performs best with two sticks of RAM instead of four because it applies less stress on the internal memory controller (IMC) and will allow faster speeds of RAM. I'm not saying you can't use the RAM that you have, I'm saying you might not get the desired speeds. Read more in the article below.

Motherboard wise, there are plenty of options out there. I for one went with the high end Asus Crosshair VI for my Ryzen 7 build. For gaming alone, that mobo is a bit overkill so I defer you to this forum post for a list of the best AM4 (Ryzen) mobo's.

Hope this helps you in some way.