MAC os reinstall problem

hey guys i have a 2010 macbook i erased the main drive and it wont let me reinstall the osx yosemite help!

try to install sierra/el capitan. apple might have something to do with not allowing downgrades (don't know shit about macOS, just relating iOS and macOS)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

try to install sierra/el capitan. apple might have something to do with not allowing downgrades (don't know shit about macOS, just relating iOS and macOS)

i legit cant do anything thats the only os availabel can i install linux?

Just now, Aidanlockett1 said:

i legit cant do anything thats the only os availabel can i install linux?

I guess..?

Recovery partition still a thing you kept,  right? try that.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

I guess..?

Recovery partition still a thing you kept,  right? try that.

where would I find that?

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

What do you mean it "won't let you install" the OS?  What error are you getting?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Have you tried reinstalling the OS via the internet in recovery mode?

-edit- lol same link.. USB image might be in order

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

What do you mean it "won't let you install" the OS?  What error are you getting?

after i hit continue 2 times it says an error has occurred while preparing try running it again

1 minute ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

after i hit continue 2 times it says an error has occurred while preparing try running it again

Ok, sorry I'm late. You either have to create be MACOSX Bonnie media with the original OS or go to Apple Store to have them load the OS. Many of the earlier OSX versions are not available anymore. You need to fresh install, and it needs the image. If you cannot download yourself, Apple Store doesn't charge to reinstall for you 

3 minutes ago, BeefyMeats said:

Have you tried reinstalling the OS via the internet in recovery mode?

-edit- lol same link.. USB image might be in order

yea working on it

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Ok, sorry I'm late. You either have to create be MACOSX Bonnie media with the original OS or go to Apple Store to have them load the OS. Many of the earlier OSX versions are not available anymore. You need to fresh install, and it needs the image. If you cannot download yourself, Apple Store doesn't charge to reinstall for you 

im gonna use an existing yosemite image on my imac for it wish me luck

Honestly just take it into an Apple Store. They shouldn't charge you for it at all, and can easily do it.

4 hours ago, ElectronicWizard said:

Honestly just take it into an Apple Store. They shouldn't charge you for it at all, and can easily do it.

They already have the images. Takes them generally 10 to 15 minutes.

12 hours ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

Hit continue on what?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hit continue on what?

the installer, took it to the apple store the drive is dead wont mount, should i put an ssd in it for a few years of performance boost? its a core2 duo 2.4ghz and 2gb ram

2 minutes ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

the installer, took it to the apple store the drive is dead wont mount, should i put an ssd in it for a few years of performance boost? its a core2 duo 2.4ghz and 2gb ram

oh, that's quite old... how are you still surviving with that?  Yes, get an SSD, but get a new computer too :P  The difference will be astronomical 

Edit: wait you said this was a 2010 machine?  How did it still have a Core 2 Duo!?  First gen Core i* CPUs were out in early 2010 and even 2009, and by that point 4 GB of RAM would have been common as the minimum... are you sure this was 2010 and not like 2007 or something?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

oh, that's quite old... how are you still surviving with that?  Yes, get an SSD, but get a new computer too :P  The difference will be astronomical 

Edit: wait you said this was a 2010 machine?  How did it still have a Core 2 Duo!?  First gen Core i* CPUs were out in early 2010 and even 2009, and by that point 4 GB of RAM would have been common as the minimum... are you sure this was 2010 and not like 2007 or something?

its the base model 2010, if the ssd works well i might upgrade ram, im gonna use it for school, i dont have a huge budget i already have a good desktop

2 minutes ago, Aidanlockett1 said:

its the base model 2010, if the ssd works well i might upgrade ram, im gonna use it for school, i dont have a huge budget i already have a good desktop

Well an SSD will help any machine, but be aware that you'll be limited to SATA II speeds (iirc) which will hurt maximum sequential reads and writes, capping at around 300 MB/s vs the 550 you could get with a newer machine, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well an SSD will help any machine, but be aware that you'll be limited to SATA II speeds (iirc) which will hurt maximum sequential reads and writes, capping at around 300 MB/s vs the 550 you could get with a newer machine, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

yes the current drive was a 250 gb 5400rpm,

yes the current drive was a 250 gb 5400rpm,

Yeah you'll notice a night and day improvement over that :D

8 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah you'll notice a night and day improvement over that :D

kinda pissed at apple they were like for a new drive and labor its 130 to fix it so im gonna use this ssd

kinda pissed at apple they were like for a new drive and labor its 130 to fix it so im gonna use this ssd

well tbh that actually seems reasonable, which is surprising me probably more than it is you :P 

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

well tbh that actually seems reasonable, which is surprising me probably more than it is you :P 

labor was 80$ for opening the shell and removing a drive lmao, in all honesty apple was nice and i put in my own ssd and they helped with the rest for free typing this on my "new" laptop feels like a dream seriously, thanks for the help Ryan