IT Career Certifications?

I couldn't find a place to put this thread so I dropped it in general discussion, but I thought this was the best place to ask.

While i'm still in High School, I need to beef up my job and college resumes because I haven't been super active on campus and I only have one job on there which is a retail store. I'm really interested in IT so I thought why not get some important certifications that'll help me later on and maybe I can even go work for my University and have a lot of my expenses paid off as an IT. But I don't know where to start. What are the most lucrative certifications to have for a University's network?

I'd look into AWS, CISCO, HTML/javascript/CSS. Most programming languages like C, PHP and there's a load more. Being qualified and/or experienced in Linux terminal can also go a long way. 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

There's CompTIA A+ Certifications but unless you're aiming for a job that you know requires you to have one you're better off just taking on courses that teach you the material and getting some hands on experience.

Plus last I checked their certifications are only valid for 2 years then you have to get recertified which is kind of bull.

Just now, Ben Quigley said:

I'd look into AWS, CISCO, HTML/javascript/CSS. Most programming languages like C, PHP and there's a load more. Being qualified and/or experienced in Linux terminal can also go a long way. 

Alright shoulda mentioned this, i'd like to cut out any major programming certificates, i'm really not a math guy i'm more hands on.

Just now, Kirikoza said:

Alright shoulda mentioned this, i'd like to cut out any major programming certificates, i'm really not a math guy i'm more hands on.

You may want to explain what it  is  in the IT field you are wanting to do, that way we can help more.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

If you're new to IT,  the Comptia certifications are great.  The A+ isn't worth as much as it use to anymore but the linux, server, and security+ are, as well as the Microsoft ones.  If you want to go hardcore, Cisco certifications look great on a resume, are fairly hard to get and cost more than a dime and a penny.

<-- College Comp Sci Instructor

18 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Plus last I checked their certifications are only valid for 2 years then you have to get recertified which is kind of bull.

A+ is 3 years, and technology changes so rapidly after 3 years a lot of stuff changes in terms of hardware, acceptable policies, especially Windows versions, and other stuff. Having to recertify also adds to the value of the certification, as potential employers and schools know it is up to date knowlege. The real bull is life time IT based certifications, in which you can get certified in 2005 on Windows XP and still be certified forever in whatever ;P

OP I would recommend looking at the A+ for "hands on" there are two parts, the first is more hardware focused, and the second is more OS/software focused. I did it in High School, and it opened a lot of job opportunities, as well as looked great on College Apps. It does only last 3 years, but in 3 years you will be 1-2 years into college, and already have a "foot in the door" hopefully using it to get a job in your specific field. Network and Security + are also great follow up certifications you can get from CompTIA. For your A+ it is $200 (USD) for each test (a test for each part) so $400 total if you don't have to retake, but if you talk to your school there are often voucher opportunities for the certification because you getting certified in high school reflects very nicely on the school. Anyways, it's great you're looking to get into the field so early, and good luck :)

EDIT: Like above post says, CISCO certs are also great looking (working on one now) but are much more difficult and specific.

2 minutes ago, ImperialSteele said:

A+ is 3 years, and technology changes so rapidly after 3 years a lot of stuff changes in terms of hardware, acceptable policies, especially Windows versions, and other stuff.

Ah 3 years. I know that's why they make you retake it but as the technology and software changes you've been working with those changes over the past 3 years so I don't think their certifications should expire but just mark the year you received it and if a company wants you to update it 3+ years down the road then take the test again.

Ya, it is a pain, but it's pretty much their solution instead of having to keep creating new test names, the content is generally widely different due to the advancement of technology.

9 hours ago, Kirikoza said:

I couldn't find a place to put this thread so I dropped it in general discussion, but I thought this was the best place to ask.

While i'm still in High School, I need to beef up my job and college resumes because I haven't been super active on campus and I only have one job on there which is a retail store. I'm really interested in IT so I thought why not get some important certifications that'll help me later on and maybe I can even go work for my University and have a lot of my expenses paid off as an IT. But I don't know where to start. What are the most lucrative certifications to have for a University's network?

When you mean network?  Do you mean server/client side?  Or, managing router/switch and firewall side? 

Also, heads up on the CompTIA cert re up.  It had a change done.  Get all the CEUs done now and it don't restart from when all the CEUs are done.  It now just adds three years to the cert end date.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU