Any tips for this feature build?

IV0

Hello,

I'm probably going to make my first Game Pc soon.
I had as question what power supply do I need if I want to overclock?

Also how high can I overclock the things I have a.t.m.?

Will it be good/fast for rendering 4k video's and pictures?

For how long will this build be good to use?
Maybe you have tips for the build I want to make and I would be happy to read them.

I would like to have the budget just under $2000.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My build As I thought it should be:

Cpu:
Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor

Cpu cooler:
NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory:
G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

Storage:
I have some home so don't need extra a.t.m.

Videocard:
Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING Video Card

Case:
Cougar - Panzer Max ATX Full Tower Case

Power supply currently:
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading and maybe for a feedback!

do you have a solid state drive at home and is this system strictly for gaming or are you going to be doing content creation like editing, streaming, or CAD work

and also use pc part picker for the best prices and compatibility issues it is also nice because it is easier for others to look at you build 

Any power supply rated to cover your wattage will be absolutely fine. I would probably knock it up to a 700-750w PSU for extra leeway in the future (a good PSU should last you through several upgrades/rebuilds). 

The system will be absolutely fine for 4k work as long as you factor the 4k monitor into the price equation too (or already have one). You'll be amazed at home many wingnuts spend a fortune building a 'awesome l33t 4k battlerig' and buy a 1080 monitor... ;) 

Always personal preference but unless you want super shiny RGB window views, I'd go for Noctua NH 15 over water cooler. Cheap, as effective and less faff/parts to break. 

Also if you're working on 4k videos, good storage will be important. NVME/SSD for working on.

2 minutes ago, Colin Donoghue said:

do you have a solid state drive at home and is this system strictly for gaming or are you going to be doing content creation like editing, streaming, or CAD work

and also use pc part picker for the best prices and compatibility issues it is also nice because it is easier for others to look at you build 

I have a SSD at home
And I want to use the pc mainly for Streaming, recording and editing

As for how long it will be good to use for? For as long as you only need it to work on 4k videos? If the workload stays the same nothing will change. As much as I hate to recommend AMD *shakes fist* you might be better off with something Ryzen for content creation as well. 

1 minute ago, IV0 said:

I have a SSD at home

For those tasks, a Ryzen 7 would be better

:)

Just now, seon123 said:

For those tasks, a Ryzen 7 would be better

Do I need another motherboard then?

3 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

Any power supply rated to cover your wattage will be absolutely fine. I would probably knock it up to a 700-750w PSU for extra leeway in the future (a good PSU should last you through several upgrades/rebuilds). 

A good 450 or 550W is totally fine. A typical load for most systems is around 400W anyways. And newer parts tend to be more efficient, and draw less power

Just now, IV0 said:

Do I need another motherboard then?

Yes. And preferably faster RAM

1 minute ago, IV0 said:

I have a SSD at home

go with Ryzen 7 because it is a better choice if you are going to do some content creation which you are  

So change the 7700k for a Ryzen 7 1700 or 1700x you can overclock both so it doesn't really matter but the 1700x is guaranteed to clock higher

and you will need a different motherboard which is obvious

lastly you will want to get faster ram like 3200 speed ram because Ryzen scales better with faster memory 

Just now, seon123 said:

Yes. And preferably faster RAM

Like how fast should it be then?

3 minutes ago, IV0 said:

So would this build be good?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2rRyhq

I would get a power supply like this because the power supply is going to last though upgrades and new builds 

also the full modularity and 80plus gold rating are very nice features and the power supply is the most important part of a computer because it powers everything and if it takes a shit on you it can take other components down with it.

11 minutes ago, seon123 said:

A good 450 or 550W is totally fine. A typical load for most systems is around 400W anyways. And newer parts tend to be more efficient, and draw less power

We have kind of plateaued in the realms of efficiency for the time being and some newer chips are actually more power hungry **cough** Ryzen **cough**. I would never recommend going way OOT but for someone that may add another 1080ti in the future or rebuild the system in the future to be somehow more demanding leeway is recommended, just not necessary. A 450W would not be suitable for a 1080ti build at all. Hell, from a quick calculation I've just done if he did want to add another 1080ti an 825w PSU would be required factoring a small overclock on the CPU and GPUs. 

5 minutes ago, IV0 said:

So would this build be good?
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2rRyhq

Do you plan to SLI ?

You should be fine with 16GB Ram.

I can't remember if you need an AM4 bracket for the X62. The info should be on NZXT website.

I don't know why folks are pushing on the 3200 ram, the gains you would see over something lower really isn't worth the price really. If you can afford it and you're looking for entirely balls to the wall performance at any cost, then go for it but that money would be far better invested almost anywhere else. 

5 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

We have kind of plateaued in the realms of efficiency for the time being and some newer chips are actually more power hungry **cough** Ryzen **cough**. I would never recommend going way OOT but for someone that may add another 1080ti in the future or rebuild the system in the future to be somehow more demanding leeway is recommended, just not necessary. A 450W would not be suitable for a 1080ti build at all. Hell, from a quick calculation I've just done if he did want to add another 1080ti an 825w PSU would be required factoring a small overclock on the CPU and GPUs. 

Ryzen chips are more efficient than their Intel counterparts...

Multi GPU setups are falling out of fashion, by the time one wants to add another GPU, there's a newer generation of GPUs that will perform similarly to 2 of the GPU one has, while not dealing with the issues that plague multi GPU setups.

I said 450W is fine, not that it was ideal. A single GPU setup draws around 400W anyway. 

Using PSU calculators is stupid. A more realistic way to exemplify is with two Vega 56 cards. They are limited at 300W, which is still more than most any GPU. Two of them would draw around 600W. Add a mainstream CPU, and you end up at around 750W. That's assuming you overclock everything, and run Prime95 and Furmark at the same time. Obviously not realistic. 

2 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

I don't know why folks are pushing on the 3200 ram, the gains you would see over something lower really isn't worth the price really. If you can afford it and you're looking for entirely balls to the wall performance at any cost, then go for it but that money would be far better invested almost anywhere else. 

People are suggesting faster RAM, because Ryzen benefits from it. A lot. 

A 450W for that build would really not be recommended. Making that recommendation is just daft.

I was referring to Threadripper's TDP which is very high for a desktop centred CPU.

I will stand by the fact of forking out for 3200 is still a minimal gains false economy, even with Ryzen. The gains are superior but not great enough to be a slam dunk must buy recommendation. 

3 minutes ago, Zebedeeboing said:

A 450W for that build would really not be recommended. Making that recommendation is just daft.

I was referring to Threadripper's TDP which is very high for a desktop centred CPU.

I will stand by the fact of forking out for 3200 is still a minimal gains false economy, even with Ryzen. The gains are superior but not great enough to be a slam dunk must buy recommendation. 

Please point to where I was recommending a 450W PSU?

Threadripper has a very low TDP, at 180W. For a 16 core CPU that's very decent. And it's on a HEDT platform anyway.

Gains from 3200 is not minimal on Ryzen (unless you consider 20% minimal?). The extra cost is not large, given the budget of the build is $2000

17 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

Do you plan to SLI ?

You should be fine with 16GB Ram.

I can't remember if you need an AM4 bracket for the X62. The info should be on NZXT website.

I think I rather upgrade my gnu instead of making it a sli

I don't need a bracket for the cooler I have now (x42)