What to do with ran over S8+

Zodiark1593

I found this phone on the road that had been ran over. The display is destroyed, but the phone still works. Through the business card inside the case, I found the place of business where the owner works, and arranged a meeting, but the owner never showed. I hinted that the phone isn't in very good shape towards the end of the conversation, so the owner may have lost interest.

Next step is to contact the carrier and to eventually (hopefully) talk with the owner directly. I figured the data may have had some importance, so we shall see.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

- give it to the police

-try to find the owner by other means like you are trying right now 

- keep it, reset it, change the display it and use it, it might be blacklisted by the carriers 

I would just keep it for a few weeks until you hear something, if they don't get back to you by then it is unlikely that they will and you could either recycle it or keep it and repair it

⬇ - PC specs down below - ⬇

The Impossibox

CPU: (x2) Xeon X5690 12c/24t (6c/12t per cpu)

Motherboard: EVGA Super Record 2 (SR-2)

RAM: 48Gb (12x4gb) server DDR3 ECC

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB

Case: Modded Lian-LI PC-08

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 500Gb and a 2Tb HDD

PSU: 1000W something or other I forget

Display(s): 24" Acer G246HL

Cooling: (x2) Corsair H100i v2

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K70 LUX RGB MX Browns

Mouse: Logitech G600

Headphones: Sennheiser HD558

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Folding info so I don't lose it: 

WhisperingKnickers

Join us on the x58 page it is awesome!

x58 Fan Page

I would leave it at the place of business and let their internal IT department deal with it.  Cellphones break, get lost and get rekt.  If you want to truly do the right thing, (which it seems you do)  then that is the approach I would take.

Something is not right... if it was the real owner, he would be very interested in getting it back, working and broken or not.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

- give it to the police

-try to find the owner by other means like you are trying right now 

- keep it, reset it, change the display it and use it, it might be blacklisted by the carriers

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Something is not right... if it was the real owner, he would be very interested in getting it back, working and broken or not.

I only a contacted the employer of the owner, so I'll see about going through the carrier to contact the owner.

My eyes see the past…

I have an S8. If I lost it and you called me, I'd show up with a Tim's card as a thank you for trying to reach me and giving back my phone instead of pawning it for an extra buck...

I feel like there's something on that phone they may have been trying to get rid of. Makes you wonder what you'll find if you replace the screen.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

oh hell yeah, free phone. good job OP. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

As a couple of person mentioned, it seems kind of weird that an 700$ phone isn't important enough for the owner to show up

22 minutes ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

As a couple of person mentioned, it seems kind of weird that an 700$ phone isn't important enough for the owner to show up

Insurance perhaps might be the most logical conclusion I can draw. With encryption and back ups, the data itself would probably be safe, though the obvious password on sticky note behind case leads me to some skepticism as to the owner's technical prowess.

I can also rule out business owned, as it was the owner of the business that I contacted and arranged the meeting through (the one that never happened). Had it been business owned, he would simply ask for it back himself.

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, DildorTheDecent said:

oh hell yeah, free phone. good job OP. 

Even had I planned to keep it, the bloody display and digitizer assembly costs more than what I paid for my own phone. Not an easy thing to justify for what would probably end up as an emulation set top box due to being blacklisted.

If the carrier can pull the owner info from the sim card, I'll see if they can just deliver it.

My eyes see the past…