Gaming pc ryzen 1800x vs i7 8700k

Elevenbgrunt

Cinebench was leaked recently on the new 8700k to be released in early October. It shows 1800x still scoring about 400 points higher then the 8700k.

I'm going to be buolding a new gaming desktop. Ignoring any price difference which would be better?

From a pure gaming performance standpoint, the i7-8700K.

Anything that's highly multithreaded (e.g. streaming, editing, rendering and so forth), an overclocked R7 1700.

Mandatory "wait for benchmarks".

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

From a pure gaming performance standpoint, the i7-8700K.

Anything that's highly multithreaded (e.g. streaming, editing, rendering and so forth), an overclocked R7 1700.

Mandatory "wait for benchmarks".

That's what I was thinking as well ty for verifing

13 hours ago, Elevenbgrunt said:

Cinebench was leaked recently on the new 8700k to be released in early October. It shows 1800x still scoring about 400 points higher then the 8700k.

I'm going to be buolding a new gaming desktop. Ignoring any price difference which would be better?

Until I know 1800x is better but you should wait for Benchmarks with Graphics Card of 8700K...

2 minutes ago, Raziq_26 said:

Until I know 1800x is better but you should wait for Benchmarks with Graphics Card of 8800K...

8800k? :D

12 hours ago, Matu20 said:

8800k? :D

Whoops 8700K... ?

What resolution are you gaming at ? If 4K then there will be little difference in most games, as more load is on the gpu. Any other resolution then Intel will be faster.

On 9/13/2017 at 1:04 PM, lee32uk said:

What resolution are you gaming at ? If 4K then there will be little difference in most games, as more load is on the gpu. Any other resolution then Intel will be faster.

Idk about 4k but I do want the ability to. Looking at 3 monitors. And I wanna be able to do VR

Getting a Ryzen 7 for gaming is ridiculous.  Yes, it has 8 cores, but how many games actually fully utilize 8 cores (much less 6)?

Benchmarks are meaningless out of context.  

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

6 hours ago, minervx said:

Getting a Ryzen 7 for gaming is ridiculous.  Yes, it has 8 cores, but how many games actually fully utilize 8 cores (much less 6)?

Benchmarks are meaningless out of context.  

For a purely gaming machine then the 6 core R5 is a better option over the R7. If the op was doing other things like streaming and editing etc then it would make more sense to go with the 8 core. Of course if he wants an Intel cpu then he is better off waiting for Coffee Lake.

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

For a purely gaming machine then the 6 core R5 is a better option over the R7. If the op was doing other things like streaming and editing etc then it would make more sense to go with the 8 core. Of course if he wants an Intel cpu then he is better off waiting for Coffee Lake.

Atm I'm leaning toward waiting for coffee lake i7 8700k and using 1080 ti since it'll be a bit before that becomes obsolete. Thinking 4x4gb ram not sure which brand atm but leaning toward dominator by corsair, pay Probably a 1000 watt thermaltake or corsair, and duel custom loops one on gpu's one on cpu, mini probably whatever maximus z370 that is released by asus for coffee lake from what I hear it'll be the maximus x formula, and for case thermaltake p7 so I can mount on wall, and of course a Samsung m.2 1tb and some 10tb Seagate hdd for back up.

All Ryzen CPUs are overall great, but none is a great gaming CPU and shouldn't be considered for high-end gaming at all. An i3 8300 is a better choice for gaming than a 1800x. If we consider oc-ing then an oced i3 8350k becomes much better than an oc-ed 1800x. Since 8350k is a lower clocked 7700k with HT disabled you can simulate its performance and check this at home.

As for 8700k, take those Cinebench R15 benchmarks on HP Omen with a grain of salt before you make any concussion. We don't know what RAM it is using. I guess its ddr4-2400 c16+. Stock 8700k with ddr4-3200 c16 should score over 1400 cbs in cinebench r15. If oc-ed to 5ghz on all cores it should do around 1700 cbs. And that comes very close to an oc-ed 1800x @4GHz with the same ddr4-3200 c16, which is around 1800 cbs. So 1800x is barely better for anything then 8700k, while 8700k is a better for almost everything.

And we shall not forget pricing. Intel will offer much better DT CPUs at any price point than Ryzen with the current prices. So expect a massive price cuts on Ryzen CPUs in 3 weeks. All hail the competition. ☺