how to optimize Nvidia 4 gtx 1070

Go to solution Solved by Pachuca,

mystery solved. Looks like Afterburner doesn't work well with multiple GPU's not made by MSI. I installed Gigabytes xtreme engine (because those are the gpu's i'm using) that's their version of afterburner software and was able to overclock all 4 gpu's as needed.

I'm trying to optimize 4 gpu's using afterburner, but when I select gpus beyond the first 2 it doesn't give me an option to change any of the power or memory overclocking. Is this an issue as a result of Nvidia not supporting 3 or 4 way sli? I tried reaching out Nvidia support, but they were pretty useless. Does anyone know what I can do to get the most performance out of these gpus?

you just can't put more than 2 in SLI. it's not a support issue it's straight up locked out

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

Have you tried Evga Precision X?

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

you just can't put more than 2 in SLI. it's not a support issue it's straight up locked out

does that mean I can only adjust 2 gpus in afterburn?

This video should help you understand the issues you're encountering and why:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

2 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

actually I don't have them in sli they are just connected in the pcie slots. I want to overclock them so I can get the most hash rate, but the other 2 gpu's don't show up as gtx 1070, it's just a blank space. When I select the blank space it doesn't let me make any adjustment to overclocking.

Just now, Pachuca said:

actually I don't have them in sli they are just connected in the pcie slots. I want to overclock them so I can get the most hash rate, but the other 2 gpu's don't show up as gtx 1070, it's just a blank space. When I select the blank space it doesn't let me make any adjustment to overclocking.

yeah i think that afterburner uses the nVidia API directly and since that locked out more than 2 you can adjust it through it. but other tool would work. try and search for something other than afterburner

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

5 minutes ago, aakopa said:

Have you tried Evga Precision X?

no, but it shouldn't really matter. I think it's a problem with the cards being locked. I wonder if there's a way to hack the bios to unlock the cards.

SLI is meant for 2 GPUs max, SLI 4 way GTX 1070 probably would scale poorly even if it was fully supported, a GTX 1080ti is by all means better... for gaming and what not that is, if you need multiple GPU for computing it does not have to be in SLI.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, SquintyG33Rs said:

yeah i think that afterburner uses the nVidia API directly and since that locked out more than 2 you can adjust it through it. but other tool would work. try and search for something other than afterburner

someone suggested Evga Precision X... I could try it, but what if i run into the same problem?

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

SLI is meant for 2 GPUs max, SLI 4 way GTX 1070 probably would scale poorly even if it was fully supported, a GTX 1080ti is by all means better... for gaming and what not that is, if you need multiple GPU for computing it does not have to be in SLI.

this is for mining, not gaming. none of the cards are connected with sli, they are plugged into the mobo in the pcie slots, but i need to optimize them for performance and afterbuner is only letting me do it for the first 2 gpus

10 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

this is for mining, not gaming. none of the cards are connected with sli, they are plugged into the mobo in the pcie slots, but i need to optimize them for performance and afterbuner is only letting me do it for the first 2 gpus

From what I know about it, OC'ing doesn't help the hash rate enough to make up for the higher power usage and heat output. In some cases it's actually worse for profit, I think. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

3 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

From what I know about it, OC'ing doesn't help the hash rate enough to make up for the higher power usage and heat output. In some cases it's actually worse for profit, I think. 

yes, OC doesn't help for clock speed, but it works if you increase the memory frequency. The card can also run at reduce power. About 80% power limit is safe. I've used 70-75% too, but noticed more crashes at those limits.

I don't know if this problem exist because of the sli limitations by Nvidia or is this another problem. I'm assuming this is because of the SLI limitation, but i don't know for sure.

mystery solved. Looks like Afterburner doesn't work well with multiple GPU's not made by MSI. I installed Gigabytes xtreme engine (because those are the gpu's i'm using) that's their version of afterburner software and was able to overclock all 4 gpu's as needed.