Google reportedly preparing to buy HTC's phone division

Nowak

Yeah hmm not sure how that will go. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I'm apparently one of the few who bought the HTC 10 and loves it. I didn't buy a U11, not because I don't like it, but because I just plunked down $650 on the HTC 10 the previous year. The people most likely to buy a U11 are the ones who have a 10, but it's just too damn expensive to buy a new flagship phone every year.

I hope this deal works out well for HTC. I really like their phones, and have since the Droid Incredible days...but they need better marketing on top of good phones. Hopefully some google money will help.

Reminds me when Google picked Motorola's phone division up and didn't keep it that long. I wonder if Google will keep HTC longer than they kept Motorola.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

From what I've heard Google was pressured by OEMs (especially Samsung) to sell off Motorola. I can't remember what they got in return; think it was something to do with being more compliant with Google's guidelines.

The market has matured significantly in the meantime and I believe the OEMs will more easily accept Google joining the market fully.

HTC has had some peculiar manufacturing limitations resulting in less than stellar devices. Whether that has come from the manufacturing arm itself or poor design choices I don't know. I hope Google can rectify that (if they also pick up factories in the deal).

Motorola was definitely worse off after the sale. Lenovo pretty much wrecked the brand and are just now realizing that they have a tendency to destroy the things they acquire. They're trying to change that with upcoming devices but I have my doubts.

I'm still really bummed about this. Motorola was one of my favorite phone manufacturers. 

On 8-9-2017 at 10:15 PM, bimmerman said:

I'm apparently one of the few who bought the HTC 10 and loves it. I didn't buy a U11, not because I don't like it, but because I just plunked down $650 on the HTC 10 the previous year. The people most likely to buy a U11 are the ones who have a 10, but it's just too damn expensive to buy a new flagship phone every year.

I hope this deal works out well for HTC. I really like their phones, and have since the Droid Incredible days...but they need better marketing on top of good phones. Hopefully some google money will help.

The 10 was a good phone tbh, had it for a while. Good in all aspects.

On 9/8/2017 at 3:15 PM, bimmerman said:

I have the HTC 10 also, unfortunately I absolutely hate it.  I've had so many problems with it, like GPS not working, apps crashing, phone restarting, and more.  My friend is a big HTC fan and convinced me and another friend to get it.  He had no problems but both my other friend and I had so many problems with it.  I'm looking to get a new phone soon, either LG v30 or Pixel 2 XL possibly.