MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon vs ASUS Prime B350-Plus?

What is your opinion?

Which is better overall and why?

Your pros and cons.

Note: Planning to pair it with Ryzen 1700 and mainly usage is gaming + streaming.

to be honest it is a question of features - and what do you need out of it - 

MSI or ASUS - both have a fairly good rep - but i find that ASUS BIOS is a lot nicer to use.

ultimately though it is entirely your choice based on the features the motherboards are offering! 

what do you need from a motherboard - someone here might have a good suggestion that you haven't considered. 

Just now, pajpaj said:

What is your opinion?

Your pros and cons.

Note: Planning to pair it with Ryzen 1700 and mainly usage is gaming + streaming.

Go with Asus IMO. If you look around you'll see that MSI B350 boards are notoriously bad (low quality VRMs among other problems).

I had both ASUS and MSI as system manufacturers before, and in general ive alwasy preffered msi, let alone ASUS' shitty customer service if it ever fails.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 FE | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 4x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 | MoBo: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII  | Case: Corsair 5000D AF CPU cooler: Corsair H150i CapellixPSU: Corsair RM850x |

Just now, Ranger515 said:

I had both ASUS and MSI as system manufacturers before, and in general ive alwasy preffered msi, let alone ASUS' shitty customer service if it ever fails.

They all have shitty customer service.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

10 minutes ago, pajpaj said:

What is your opinion?

Your pros and cons.

Asus, based on apparent issues with MSI vrm's overheating 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 minutes ago, Metal_Kitty said:

to be honest it is a question of features - and what do you need out of it - 

MSI or ASUS - both have a fairly good rep - but i find that ASUS BIOS is a lot nicer to use.

ultimately though it is entirely your choice based on the features the motherboards are offering! 

what do you need from a motherboard - someone here might have a good suggestion that you haven't considered. 

features: good to great cpu and memory overclocking, good audio for streaming and any kind of feature(s) that can help my gaming + streaming performance.

5 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

Go with Asus IMO. If you look around you'll see that MSI B350 boards are notoriously bad (low quality VRMs among other problems).

I see, that is kinda bad.

MSI and AMD is generally never a good mix, so go Asus, but TBH the asus board isn't really that good at all.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

MSI has a slightly better VRM (only case on AM4) but the heatsinks are terrible.

In order to keep things alive, the overclocking is not advised over the CPU Vcore limits of wraith spire.

In this case, the MSI has better on board features, check my guide, PM me if you want more detailed experience.

Strix B350-F combines best from both

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Asus, based on apparent issues with MSI vrm's overheating 

dont recommend R7 overclocking over the limits of Wraith Spire

What does that mean? Is it related to voltage or something? Or I can't overclock a Ryzen 7? (though buildzoid said in his video that it is okay)

He also said that the b350 carbon is: (also said by buildzoid in his video that I watched)

VRM is pretty good on B350

+ points for ASUS.

3 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

MSI and AMD is generally never a good mix, so go Asus, but TBH the asus board isn't really that good at all.

Why ASUS boards are not that good? What do you recommend?

perhaps then a gigabyte board or asrock (though i have had bad experiences with AM3+ Asrock boards) 

but have a look at the ratings and reviews - I believe that ASUS has released an AM4 Equivilent to the sabertooth... 

Just now, pajpaj said:

What does that mean? Is it related to voltage or something? Or I can't overclock a Ryzen 7? (though buildzoid said in his video that it is okay)

He also said that the b350 carbon is: (also said by buildzoid in his video that I watched)

+ points for ASUS.

I had a quite a long chat with buildzoid yesterday.

Believe me when i am saying something, because it was confirmed even by buildzoid.

Just now, Metal_Kitty said:

perhaps then a gigabyte board or asrock (though i have had bad experiences with AM3+ Asrock boards) 

but have a look at the ratings and reviews - I believe that ASUS has released an AM4 Equivilent to the sabertooth... 

Gigabytes are trash at its finest.

Asus "TUF" B350 mATX Plus is just renamed

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

MSI has a slightly better VRM (only case on AM4)

Nice.

but the heatsinks are terrible.

Ouch.

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

overclocking is not advised over the CPU Vcore limits of wraith spire.

This, I don't get it.

check my guide

Yes I currently reading it. Your first guide is removed, why?

2 minutes ago, Metal_Kitty said:

I see, thank you.

I had a quite a long chat with buildzoid yesterday.

Believe me when i am saying something, because it was confirmed even by buildzoid.

So I can't overclock Ryzen 1700 in B350 Carbon or B350 Plus?

B350 - dont recommend R7 overclocking over the limits of Wraith Spire

Can you explain me this (on consumer level if possible)? I don't quite get it.

8 minutes ago, pajpaj said:

Why ASUS boards are not that good? What do you recommend?

VRM design isn't that good at all, it is better than MSI's. I would TBH look at the Asrock X370 gaming k4, it is pretty well made for its price and should serve you well.

I am personally very picky about my motherboard and I picked it up after having trouble with Asus X370 Crosshair VI hero and it has been really solid so far, even when it came to pushing my 1700 to its limits. I was about to pick up the gaming pro version, but they didn't have that in stock, so I did some reading (actually a shit ton) and the K4 is as far as I have been able to read the best board for its price of 160, which isn't bad at all for a decent board. (I needed the PC fast hence why I didn't wait for them to get the gaming pro back in stock)

Though I would recommend checking their ram list to find the best set that is tested and verified.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

7 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

VRM design isn't that good at all, it is better than MSI's. I would TBH look at the Asrock X370 gaming k4, it is pretty well made for its price and should serve you well.

I am personally very picky about my motherboard and I picked it up after having trouble with Asus X370 Crosshair VI hero and it has been really solid so far, even when it came to pushing my 1700 to its limits. I was about to pick up the gaming pro version, but they didn't have that in stock, so I did some reading (actually a shit ton) and the K4 is as far as I have been able to read the best board for its price of 160, which isn't bad at all for a decent board. (I needed the PC fast hence why I didn't wait for them to get the gaming pro back in stock)

Though I would recommend checking their ram list to find the best set that is tested and verified.

I see thank you.

16 minutes ago, pajpaj said:

So I can't overclock Ryzen 1700 in B350 Carbon or B350 Plus?

Can you explain me this (on consumer level if possible)? I don't quite get it.

You can overclock R7 on both of these, just stay withing cooling limits of the Wraith Spire.

This means, if your CPU reaches over like, lets say, 75-78°C in a 30 minutes of Aida64, then pull the OC down a little bit. Be sure to have cooler that pushes air down, like the Wraith Spire, so the air from the cooler flows over the VRM heatsink.

Carbon is the only MSI mobo that i would recommend, specially in such situation like that where is Strix B350-F not an option.

Best mobos currently are Asus and ASRock.

11 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

X370 K4 has awful VRM compared to the Crosshair.

Crosshair has the best BIOS and memory support at the moment.

It is the "balance" between design and functionality.

Youre messing things up, stop the VRM mishmash you say.

Pro Carbon has its own pains, such as Prime B350 Plus.

Plus has way worse LAN and Audio.

Carbon has worse BIOS, the MSI made drivers succ and the RGB is shit

Just now, pajpaj said:

What does it mean?

It boots for a fucking century

I had the Carbon - know what i am talking about