SSHD + Optane? Will IT WORK?

Go to solution Solved by pyrojoe34,

If you already have an SSD as your boot drive then don't bother getting Optane, like previous SS cache solutions is really only worthwhile for non-techies that have a HDD based system and don't want to reinstall the OS on an SSD. It doesn't give any significant improvement over the SSD and won't really help for your SSHD either. Just take the extra money and get a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB one.

Hi, I was wondering, since I might help a friend do a relatively "cheap" build in the future with a Core i3 8350K (4C/4T @ 4.2 GHZ), I was considering to use a Intel 600p M.2 SSD (128GB) as a boot drive and a FireCuda SSHD (1 TB) as a Game Drive. (alongside 16GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1060 6G). The MoBo will most likely have 2 M.2 Slots, so this brings me to this next question.

Will an Intel Optane Module work with an SSHD? (Note: Im asking if it WILL work not if you like Optane or not.)

Also what SSHD should I go for? The 7200RPM FireCuda? Or should I find a "Enterprise" 10K or 15K RPM Drive?

Please Help

It would probably work according to this tom's hardware post https://goo.gl/5jJJjS but it's a waste of money cause it would not help much with an sshd, just buy a hdd an optane.

Edited by SpeedyDucky

Comic Sans!

Get HDD instead of SSHD if it's cheaper. Most SSHDs have such a small SSD cache they are no faster than an HDD unless you open the same files over and over again.

Why do you need Optane to boost an SSD boot drive?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

It should work.

I don't understand why you're getting a 600p for boot drive though. NVMe doesn't improve boot times or app launch times, and the 600p is only as good as an 850 evo.

And I don't understand why you want an optane either... you'd be better off getting a larger ssd and using half of it for caching or something.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

According to intel you can only accelerate one Windows 10 boot drive with Optane, so in your scenario I do not think it will help

Both SSHDs and optane suck compared to a SSD+HDD setup...

Why do you have the two worst options?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

24 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Hi, I was wondering, since I might help a friend do a relatively "cheap" build in the future with a Core i3 8350K (4C/4T @ 4.2 GHZ), I was considering to use a Intel 600p M.2 SSD (128GB) as a boot drive and a FireCuda SSHD (1 TB) as a Game Drive. (alongside 16GB of RAM, and a GeForce GTX 1060 6G). The MoBo will most likely have 2 M.2 Slots, so this brings me to this next question.

Will an Intel Optane Module work with an SSHD? (Note: Im asking if it WILL work not if you like Optane or not.)

Also what SSHD should I go for? The 7200RPM FireCuda? Or should I find a "Enterprise" 10K or 15K RPM Drive?

Please Help

I would strongly adivse against the 8350k ist very poor value for the money. Same goes for the optane module. Just buy an AMD processor and a reall SSD at that price point for better price/performance. The Optane module seems to run completely independently from other storage. It was tested with a HDD and with SSDs but didn't yield and increased performance. Hasn't Linus made a video about it?
I am sorry if my answer is dissapointing but it is the objective truth.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

If you already have an SSD as your boot drive then don't bother getting Optane, like previous SS cache solutions is really only worthwhile for non-techies that have a HDD based system and don't want to reinstall the OS on an SSD. It doesn't give any significant improvement over the SSD and won't really help for your SSHD either. Just take the extra money and get a 256GB SSD instead of the 128GB one.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

On 7/9/2017 at 8:51 AM, SpeedyDucky said:

It would probably work according to this tom's hardware post https://goo.gl/5jJJjS but it's a waste of money cause it would not help much with an sshd, just buy a hdd an optane.

An SSHD is only 5-10$ more than a regular HDD

On 7/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, Enderman said:

Both SSHDs and optane suck compared to a SSD+HDD setup...

Why do you have the two worst options?

The build would be SSD + SSHD

On 7/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, GER_T4IGA said:

I would strongly adivse against the 8350k ist very poor value for the money. Same goes for the optane module. Just buy an AMD processor and a reall SSD at that price point for better price/performance. The Optane module seems to run completely independently from other storage. It was tested with a HDD and with SSDs but didn't yield and increased performance. Hasn't Linus made a video about it?

Axtually, I think the 8th Gen i3s will actually beat the Ryzen 3s (even though they are awesome) because they´ll have the same core/thread count, but the i3s will have higher clocks. In the case of the i5s vs Ryzen 5, the 1600 and 1600X will be better than the i5s, because of the HT, but the i5s will be better than the 1400 and 1500X (again, great processors) because the i5s will hgave 6C/6T. In the case of the i7s, Ryzen 7 will still be better than the i7s because of the core count, However on siglethreaded it will go down to IPCs, and wether OCing makes a difference on any Processor

On 7/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, GER_T4IGA said:

Oh, btw, i wont use Optane, you are right. But the build will be SSD + SSHD

57 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

The build would be SSD + SSHD

No, go with a regular HDD and buy a bigger SSD.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

No, go with a regular HDD and buy a bigger SSD.

It was going to be a Black HDD anyway, and the SSHD is onl $5-10 more

7 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

It was going to be a Black HDD anyway, and the SSHD is onl $5-10 more

WD blacks aren't very good, they are loud and run hot.

blue is better if you're on a budget, red is better if you want higher performance and longevity while running cooler and quieter.

SSHDs are just crap.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

blue is better if you're on a budget, red is better if you want higher performance and longevity while running cooler and quieter.

SSHDs are just crap.

Id hardly call them crap, they are super useful to load things like Steam libraries, and they are just $5 more, besides the new Blacks (2015) aent that loud (or hot) they are HDDs they run less than 40 Celsius, and the good part of Blacks is the super lon warranty

7 minutes ago, Enderman said:

SSHDs are just crap.

BTW, Id like to message you (since you seem to be experienced) on what do you think of my future (personal) rig, the one I was commenting above is for a friend.

27 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Id hardly call them crap

They are, the SSD part of SSHDs is extremely small, usually 32GB or less so you can't fit more than a few files or programs on it, and the nand is very slow compared to a real SSD.

The hard drive part is also slower than a good quality HDD like a WD black or red.

On top of that, you don't get to choose what goes on the SSD part of the drive, it does it on it's own by tracking your usage patterns so it never is fast on the first time you open a program or file.

This also means that it is almost always reading and writing from the SSD to the HDD, and from the HDD to the SSD.

Increased drive usage and increased wear on the nand.

SSHDs should only be used by people who have a laptop with only one drive bay, and can't afford a large SSD.

BTW WD reds have a longer warranty and MTBF than blacks.

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

They are, the SSD part of SSHDs is extremely small, usually 32GB or less so you can't fit more than a few files or programs on it, and the nand is very slow compared to a real SSD.

The hard drive part is also slower than a good quality HDD like a WD black or red.

On top of that, you don't get to choose what goes on the SSD part of the drive, it does it on it's own by tracking your usage patterns so it never is fast on the first time you open a program or file.

This also means that it is almost always reading and writing from the SSD to the HDD, and from the HDD to the SSD.

Increased drive usage and increased wear on the nand.

SSHDs should only be used by people who have a laptop with only one drive bay, and can't afford a large SSD.

BTW WD reds have a longer warranty and MTBF than blacks.

Not saying your argument is invalid, but do you have any benchmarks to confirm it?

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Not saying your argument is invalid, but do you have any benchmarks to confirm it?

Just look at the benchmarks of SSHDs...

Also, ask people who own one, I have seen plenty of people on this forum say they regret buying one.

The part about it writing back and forth to the SSD is simply how it works, you can look up videos on youtube of what an SSHD is and how it works inside, or read wikipedia.

It is basically just a regular HDD with oversized cache, that's how it works, because you don't get to pick what goes on the solid state portion.

It's just garbage.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Just look at the benchmarks of SSHDs...

Also, ask people who own one, I have seen plenty of people on this forum say they regret buying one.

The part about it writing back and forth to the SSD is simply how it works, you can look up videos on youtube of what an SSHD is and how it works inside, or read wikipedia.

Late 2011 and early 2012 benchmarks using an SSHD consisting of a 750 GB HDD and 8 GB of NAND cache found that SSHDs did not offer SSD performance on random read/write and sequential read/write, but were faster than HDDs for application startup and shutdown.[18][19]

The 2011 benchmark included loading an image of a system that had been used heavily, running many applications, to bypass the performance advantage of a freshly-installed system; it found in real-world tests that performance was much closer to an SSD than to a mechanical HDD. Different benchmark tests found the SSHD to be between an HDD and SSD, but usually significantly slower than an SSD. In the case of uncached random access performance (multiple 4 KB random reads and writes) the SSHD was no faster than a comparable HDD; there is advantage only with data that is cached. The author concluded that the SSHD drive was the best non-SSD type of drive by a significant margin, and that the larger the solid-state cache, the better the performance.

13 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

Late 2011 and early 2012 benchmarks using an SSHD consisting of a 750 GB HDD and 8 GB of NAND cache found that SSHDs did not offer SSD performance on random read/write and sequential read/write, but were faster than HDDs for application startup and shutdown.[18][19]

The 2011 benchmark included loading an image of a system that had been used heavily, running many applications, to bypass the performance advantage of a freshly-installed system; it found in real-world tests that performance was much closer to an SSD than to a mechanical HDD. Different benchmark tests found the SSHD to be between an HDD and SSD, but usually significantly slower than an SSD. In the case of uncached random access performance (multiple 4 KB random reads and writes) the SSHD was no faster than a comparable HDD; there is advantage only with data that is cached. The author concluded that the SSHD drive was the best non-SSD type of drive by a significant margin, and that the larger the solid-state cache, the better the performance.

1) HDDs and SSDs have gotten a lot better than they were 5 years ago, so that article is useless

2) "best non-SSD" Except that's only if you have only one drive mount, such as in a laptop.

Also, that author is not very smart, because HDD performance varies a lot so just because the SSHD is as fast as a crappy HDD doesn't mean it is as fast as a WD red or black.

32GB won't even fit a game on it, even if you DID have the option to choose what gets cached.

3) So basically you spend more money on an SSHD that has worse disk performance than a good quality HDD, has worse solid state performance than a good quality SSD, you do not choose what gets to be sped up by the SSD part, you get very little solid state space, and you often get a shorter warranty and worse quality.

4) Many people also experience hanging since it has to constantly move data back and forth from the disk to the cache, which makes the drive almost unusable while it's doing that. And of course, as I mentioned earlier this wastes even more of the nand's write cycles.

If you want to waste your money on it, that's up to you.

I'm just explaining things to you that I've seen many people complain about over the past 5 years on this forum.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

1) HDDs and SSDs have gotten a lot better than they were 5 years ago, so that article is useless

2) "best non-SSD" Except that's only if you have only one drive mount, such as in a laptop.

Also, that author is not very smart, because HDD performance varies a lot so just because the SSHD is as fast as a crappy HDD doesn't mean it is as fast as a WD red or black.

32GB won't even fit a game on it, even if you DID have the option to choose what gets cached.

3) So basically you spend more money on an SSHD that has worse disk performance than a good quality HDD, has worse solid state performance than a good quality SSD, you do not choose what gets to be sped up by the SSD part, you get very little solid state space, and you often get a shorter warranty and worse quality.

4) Many people also experience hanging since it has to constantly move data back and forth from the disk to the cache, which makes the drive almost unusable while it's doing that. And of course, as I mentioned earlier this wastes even more of the nand's write cycles.

If you want to waste your money on it, that's up to you.

I'm just explaining things to you that I've seen many people complain about over the past 5 years on this forum.

then Ill go with a WD Black for me