Intel discontinues the Core i7-6700K and Core i5-6600K

XenosTech
27 minutes ago, Daroll said:

And here I am sitting on my i5-4690k @4.5GHz which i bought year ago and slowly feeling like I need to upgrade already :| 

Unless you editing video i dont see any reason for you to upgrade. At that clock its pretty much at a 7th gens level...

41 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Unless you editing video i dont see any reason for you to upgrade. At that clock its pretty much at a 7th gens level...

Well I can play most modern titles on med-high settings with it and my GTX 970 but still it's a 3 years old CPU just as GPU and it makes me feel like im staying behind compared to others, Im not going to upgrade it anytime soon anyway, just a thought :P 

45 minutes ago, Daroll said:

Well I can play most modern titles on med-high settings with it and my GTX 970 but still it's a 3 years old CPU just as GPU and it makes me feel like im staying behind compared to others, Im not going to upgrade it anytime soon anyway, just a thought :P 

Change the GPU... :D Im planning on replacing my 290x with a vega card, but first the prices need to go down.

2 hours ago, MyName13 said:

1)Why do you have 1080p 60 Hz monitor and a 1070?

2)Your monitor is the main bottleneck, you should be fine even with a Pentium (unless you multitask or do something other than gaming).

1) I had a rx 470 originally and my monitor runs at 75 Hz not 60. 

2) Right cause my monitor is running at 100% usage during games like bf1, gta v, R6, Wildlands, DragonNest, Pubg and argo and is clearly the reason my frames drop well into the 30's while I'm gaming. Not sure if you're serious or just being stupid.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

5 hours ago, XenosTech said:

1) I had a rx 470 originally and my monitor runs at 75 Hz not 60. 

2) Right cause my monitor is running at 100% usage during games like bf1, gta v, R6, Wildlands, DragonNest, Pubg and argo and is clearly the reason my frames drop well into the 30's while I'm gaming. Not sure if you're serious or just being stupid.

1)gtx 1070 is capable of delivering 144 fps at 1080p, 75 Hz doesn't make it any better than 60 Hz in terms of total GPU usage

2)Yes, and my point is that i5 6500 certainly won't cause any issues (unless you somehow get frame drops even on 60 fps?)

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

1)gtx 1070 is capable of delivering 144 fps at 1080p, 75 Hz doesn't make it any better than 60 Hz in terms of total GPU usage

2)Yes, and my point is that i5 6500 certainly won't cause any issues (unless you somehow get frame drops even on 60 fps?)

Hope you know trolling is against the CoC and you're pretty bad at it

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Just now, XenosTech said:

Hope you know trolling is against the CoC and you're pretty bad at it

Which part of my post is trolling?

Just now, MyName13 said:

Which part of my post is trolling?

All of it... Idk how you came to the conclusion that a monitor is a bottle neck in a build

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

All of it... Idk how you came to the conclusion that a monitor is a bottle neck in a build

Wait what?You're using a GPU capable of delivering over 120 fps at 1080p and you paired it with a 75 Hz 1080p monitor and I'm the one who is trolling?What the fck? O.o

1 minute ago, MyName13 said:

Wait what?You're using a GPU capable of delivering over 120 fps at 1080p and you paired it with a 75 Hz 1080p monitor and I'm the one who is trolling?What the fck? O.o

Sigh.... @Morgan MLGman @MageTank @Lays @leadeater Somebody please explain to this young one

25 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

23 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Sigh.... @Morgan MLGman @MageTank @Lays @leadeater Somebody please explain to this young one

An i5-6500 will easily bottleneck a GTX 1070 at 1080p. Of course it depends on the game but in general - it will. My buddy has an i5-4690K @4,6GHz paired with a GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X and he sees GPU usage drops even to 60% in BF1. His CPU is maxed out all the time on some maps and it's definitely faster than a low-clocked i5-6500. That's with a GTX 1060 which is quite a bit slower than a 1070.

Also, a monitor can be a huge bottleneck - if you have an overkill system then that is what's holding your system back the most, I personally experienced that and it feels so good to transition to a higher resolution (1440p in my case).

Please guys, keep it civil ^_^

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

An i5-6500 will easily bottleneck a GTX 1070 at 1080p. Of course it depends on the game but in general - it will. My buddy has an i5-4690K @4,6GHz paired with a GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X and he sees GPU usage drops even to 60% in BF1. His CPU is maxed out all the time on some maps and it's definitely faster than a low-clocked i5-6500. That's with a GTX 1060 which is quite a bit slower than a 1070.

Also, a monitor can be a huge bottleneck - if you have an overkill system then that is what's holding your system back the most, I personally experienced that and it feels so good to transition to a higher resolution (1440p in my case).

Please guys, keep it civil ^_^

I don't even plan to keep this monitor when I switch to ryzen... Seeing if I can find a high refresh rate IPS display cause I hate TN and VA panels. Honestly though he had me so confused with the whole my monitor is a bottleneck as if that would be a reason for my 1070 to be dropping frames when the i5 is floored at 100%

14 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I don't even plan to keep this monitor when I switch to ryzen... Seeing if I can find a high refresh rate IPS display cause I hate TN and VA panels. Honestly though he had me so confused with the whole my monitor is a bottleneck as if that would be a reason for my 1070 to be dropping frames when the i5 is floored at 100%

I suppose all you can do for now is to lock your FPS to your refresh rate and/or tune down CPU-intensive settings in games that have issues. Quad-core i5s are starting to become a thing of the past, even for mid-ranged builds (especially locked ones).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

I suppose all you can do for now is to lock your FPS to your refresh rate and/or tune down CPU-intensive settings in games that have issues. Quad-core i5s are starting to become a thing of the past, even for mid-ranged builds (especially locked ones).

I already play on low settings lol but definitely grabbing me a 6700k even tough I'm not gonna be keep this system til year end. (Can't believe next month marks 1 year that I built this)

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

I don't really know why I was summoned. Can someone catch me up to speed?

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just now, MageTank said:

I don't really know why I was summoned. Can someone catch me up to speed?

I was saying I'm grabbing a 6700k to pair with the 1070 I got this year instead of the god awful 6500 with drops frames like crazy. He's telling me that I don't need anything more than a pentium and my monitor is the bottleneck for my 1070 .-.

I was saying I'm grabbing a 6700k to pair with the 1070 I got this year instead of the god awful 6500 with drops frames like crazy. He's telling me that I don't need anything more than a pentium and my monitor is the bottleneck for my 1070 .-.

A monitor won't be causing dips in framerate, that would most likely be related to memory speed (which is unlikely, given that we worked on that already) and CPU I/O limitations due to lack of clock speed or thread count. A weak power supply can also produce similar symptoms, but I cannot imagine a supernova dying, those things take insane levels of abuse, lol.

Easy way to test this, is to get afterburner with RTSS and monitor GPU usage along with CPU usage. If CPU is pegged at 100%, and GPU is not, you found your problem. If CPU is underutilized, and GPU is also underutilized, blame the application. 

8 minutes ago, MageTank said:

A monitor won't be causing dips in framerate, that would most likely be related to memory speed (which is unlikely, given that we worked on that already) and CPU I/O limitations due to lack of clock speed or thread count. A weak power supply can also produce similar symptoms, but I cannot imagine a supernova dying, those things take insane levels of abuse, lol.

Easy way to test this, is to get afterburner with RTSS and monitor GPU usage along with CPU usage. If CPU is pegged at 100%, and GPU is not, you found your problem. If CPU is underutilized, and GPU is also underutilized, blame the application. 

I have RTSS open in all my games all the time... CPU is always floored and gpu sometimes is at 100% but most of the time it's 80%-97% usage exception being DragonNest, that game doesn't touch my gpu at all. Acutally gonna fire it up and take a screenshot.

59b2d72ac5d9d_DN2017-09-0813-44-24Fri.jpg.2bf5990b63e9761c9fdcfa75d958cc75.jpg

look at that glorious 18 fps lol

1 minute ago, XenosTech said:

I have RTSS open in all my games all the time... CPU is always floored and gpu sometimes is at 100% but most of the time it's 80%-97% usage exception being DragonNest, that game doesn't touch my gpu at all. Acutally gonna fire it up and take a screenshot

I can say this. I had a 6600T clocked at 4.5ghz, and still saw an improvement in minimum framerates when moving to a 6700k at 4.2ghz. Some titles just like having more threads, even if it's only HT involved. This won't always be true, and will certainly have diminishing return once you have more real cores to deal with, it holds true for a few titles. MMO's, the higher clocked i5 was faster. Don't really need to worry about that now, given I have a 5ghz 7700k giving the best of both worlds. 

Just now, MageTank said:

I can say this. I had a 6600T clocked at 4.5ghz, and still saw an improvement in minimum framerates when moving to a 6700k at 4.2ghz. Some titles just like having more threads, even if it's only HT involved. This won't always be true, and will certainly have diminishing return once you have more real cores to deal with, it holds true for a few titles. MMO's, the higher clocked i5 was faster. Don't really need to worry about that now, given I have a 5ghz 7700k giving the best of both worlds. 

I added the screenshot. I was think about getting the 7700k but I don't wanna give a delided cpu to my gf since she's not that tech savy. She knows how to do basic troubleshooting and how to clean pc's but OCing and deliding is way over her head.

I added the screenshot. I was think about getting the 7700k but I don't wanna give a delided cpu to my gf since she's not that tech savy. She knows how to do basic troubleshooting and how to clean pc's but OCing and deliding is way over her head.

Delid it, and reseal it with permatex or clearcoat nail polish in the corners. Nothing wrong with that. If Intel wants it back after you kill it, reseal with permatex and ship it back. Worked for a certain forum overclocker that killed his 7700k with LN2. Cough... potato chips... cough. 

Just now, MageTank said:

Delid it, and reseal it with permatex or clearcoat nail polish in the corners. Nothing wrong with that. If Intel wants it back after you kill it, reseal with permatex and ship it back. Worked for a certain forum overclocker that killed his 7700k with LN2. Cough... potato chips... cough. 

Nah I'll keep it simple for her for now until she gets comfortable with pc's then I'll tech her memory ocing and I know she's gonna hate the both of us for it lol

32 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

You do realize that you won't see more than 75 fps because of your monitor, right?

I think my CPU can last for another 3 years.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

2 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

You do realize that you won't see more than 75 fps because of your monitor, right?

FB_IMG_1457047610802.jpg.c3acedad5c907f3f2a02aa2ffdf079ac.jpg