[SOLVED] Boot loop following Windows 10 Upgrade.

I upgraded a laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10, and then everything started going completely downhill.

The downloading of the software went flawlessly, and it was only after I installed the upgrade and the device rebooted that the fault started to show.

I've booted the laptop onto Parted Magic and have run disk health checks which are flagging up the same error which states;

Error #9203; Uncorrectable error in data at LBA = 0x00276a70. Commands leading to the command that caused the error were: CR FR SC SN CL CH DH DC - 60 00 08 70 6a 27 40 00 - 00:03:57.087 READ FPDMA QUEUED.

I have attempted to boot into safe mode but have been successful in doing so from when the device restarts. Windows built-in failsafe feature of booting into recovery after 3 failed computer boots also hasn't kicked in. I have attempted to create a recovery USB and boot from the USB but I then receive two new errors from 'USBPORT.sys' and 'CHDRT64.sys'.

I can only assume that the data within the upgrade has become corrupted somehow, but I am unable to implement a successful recovery. Can anyone save my sanity?

Thank you!

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Mini Desktop | Mac Mini | Core i7 2.3GHz | 8GB RAM | 1TB HDD x2

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Laptop | Lenovo Thinkpad Edge | Intel Core i5 | 16GB DDR3 | 256GB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

This is why you do not do the upgrade.

You need to clean install windows 10.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, HunterScott said:

I upgraded a laptop from Windows 8 to Windows 10, and then everything started going completely downhill.

The downloading of the software went flawlessly, and it was only after I installed the upgrade and the device rebooted that the fault started to show.

Can you shrink the existing partition down and create a new one to install to, or boot from a USB drive? In my experience, fresh installations work much better than the upgrade process.

7 minutes ago, HunterScott said:

I have attempted to boot into safe mode but have been successful in doing so from when the device restarts. Windows built-in failsafe feature of booting into recovery after 3 failed computer boots also hasn't kicked in. I have attempted to create a recovery USB and boot from the USB but I then receive two new errors from 'USBPORT.sys' and 'CHDRT64.sys'.

1. Where did you make recovery media? Safe-mode?
  2. Are the errors happening on attempting to boot the USB drive?
  3. Have you looked up upgrade issues with your specific laptop?

Please quote or mention me if you would like a timely reply. Thank you!

5 minutes ago, TBA said:

Can you shrink the existing partition down and create a new one to install to, or boot from a USB drive? In my experience, fresh installations work much better than the upgrade process.

1. Where did you make recovery media? Safe-mode?
  2. Are the errors happening on attempting to boot the USB drive?
  3. Have you looked up upgrade issues with your specific laptop?

I've not explored re-partitioning the HDD, but I will definitely take a look at that. It was a laptop that came into work so the usual port of call is to get them formatted and upgraded as quickly as possible. I'm unable to boot from a USB drive that has the recovery media on it, for some reason, all I am able to boot from USB is parted magic without getting a blue error screen.

I created the recovery media on my MacBook and transferred across to a USB drive. I'm going to head out and buy an external HDD mount and attempt to save the drive through my computer. I've changed the boot order to boot from USB and it looks like it's going to boot from the USB and then the blue screen appears; the device restarts; and the process happens again... and again... and again.

I've not explored upgrade issues with the specific laptop but I will have a browse now. The specs are;

CPU: Intel Core i7-3632QM;

GPU: Intel HD 4000 (Mobile 1.25 GHz);

HDD: Seagate Momentus Thin 5400.9 2.5" 500GB;

RAM: Unknown HMT351S6EFR8C-PB HMT325S6EFR8C-PB 6GB;

MBD: Lenovo 20150.

Thank you for your response.

“The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.”
― Charles Bukowski

Desktop | Intel Core i5 - 7600k | ASUS Strix B250F | MSI GeForce GTX 1080Ti x Gaming 11G | 256GB Samsung Evo | x2 WD Blue 1TB | Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8GB)

Laptop | MacBook Pro 13in w/Touch bar (2016) | Intel Core i7 | 8GB LPDDR3 | 1TB SSD

Peripherals | Razer Chroma Orbweaver | Magic Mouse 2 | Corsair K70 RGB | Logitech G402 | Blue Snowball | Logitech G922 | Logitech Artemis Spectrum G933

Galaxy Tab S2 - used as a media streamer, more often abused by my 1 year old son.

17 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This is why you do not do the upgrade.

You need to clean install windows 10.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

I'm currently attempting to but I'm unable to boot from a USB. :(

― Charles Bukowski

1 hour ago, HunterScott said:

I've not explored re-partitioning the HDD, but I will definitely take a look at that. It was a laptop that came into work so the usual port of call is to get them formatted and upgraded as quickly as possible. I'm unable to boot from a USB drive that has the recovery media on it, for some reason, all I am able to boot from USB is parted magic without getting a blue error screen.

Worth Trying as it is usually a simple solution assuming you can get recovery and or install media to work.

1 hour ago, HunterScott said:

I created the recovery media on my MacBook and transferred across to a USB drive. I'm going to head out and buy an external HDD mount and attempt to save the drive through my computer. I've changed the boot order to boot from USB and it looks like it's going to boot from the USB and then the blue screen appears; the device restarts; and the process happens again... and again... and again.

Try an override not boot order. Try it as UEFI.

Sorry for the late response, I was out getting food for the first time today. Please let me know if this helps! 

On 02/09/2017 at 9:25 PM, TBA said:

Worth Trying as it is usually a simple solution assuming you can get recovery and or install media to work.

Try an override not boot order. Try it as UEFI.

Sorry for the late response, I was out getting food for the first time today. Please let me know if this helps! 

Apologies for the late reply! My nephew was on a 'sleepover' last night and my partner conveniently placed his cot in my computer room. This led to multiple frustrated attempts at creating a viable windows recovery USB drive on a MBP. (Ridiculously difficult if you have never been in that situation before, avoid at all costs)

So, back to the topic of importance. With a fresh USB drive in hand I booted the laptop from USB in UEFI and it recognised the USB. I formatted and re-partitioned the hard-drive as you suggested using SHIFT + F10 on the hard-drive interface in Windows set up and have been able to successfully install a clean copy of Windows 10 WHICH BOOTS. 

Many thanks for your help.

― Charles Bukowski

12 hours ago, HunterScott said:

Apologies for the late reply! My nephew was on a 'sleepover' last night and my partner conveniently placed his cot in my computer room. This led to multiple frustrated attempts at creating a viable windows recovery USB drive on a MBP. (Ridiculously difficult if you have never been in that situation before, avoid at all costs)

So, back to the topic of importance. With a fresh USB drive in hand I booted the laptop from USB in UEFI and it recognised the USB. I formatted and re-partitioned the hard-drive as you suggested using SHIFT + F10 on the hard-drive interface in Windows set up and have been able to successfully install a clean copy of Windows 10 WHICH BOOTS. 

Many thanks for your help.

No problem at all, just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on me. Happy to hear it worked out!

Please mark this topic as solved when you have a chance so that other people with the same answer can find this thread. Thank you!

9 hours ago, TBA said:

No problem at all, just wanted to make sure you weren't waiting on me. Happy to hear it worked out!

Please mark this topic as solved when you have a chance so that other people with the same answer can find this thread. Thank you!

I've edited the topic title to show that it has now been solved, I hope this suffices!

Thank you once again for your help.

― Charles Bukowski