Parallel Computing - Amazing CPU Power?

Pow3rCut

I was browsing through Kickstarter the other day when I noticed this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/adapteva/parallella-a-supercomputer-for-everyone?ref=category

I was obviously extremely curious when I saw it and the price tag, £200 for a 64GHz "computer" (I am hesitant to say computer at this stage as it seems to be similar to a raspberry pi and it wouldn't have any of the conventional computer bits, pcie being the main problem), but I am wondering if we expanded on this to work with a conventional motherboard and devs started implementing it into they're programs....

Well the possibilities are endless.

Plus the thunderbolt external PCIE that Linus did a review on the power of a gaming rig would be crazy.

Just wondering what your thoughts are on the matter...

-Pow3rCut

Isn't this just a GPU? I mean a GPU is a parallel processor as well.

Most GPU's also have a clock speed of around 1 GHz ''per core'' while they have an immense amount of cores, sometimes going up into thousands.

This makes GPU's very potent for certain applications, like drawing images or GPGPU.

For most calculations though, the CPU is better. This is because the GPU can only handle certain things, while the CPU can do about everything.

You're right though, parallel computing has a lot of potency. If only we could have an entire computer run off of a GPU...

Isn't this just a GPU? I mean a GPU is a parallel processor as well.

Most GPU's also have a clock speed of around 1 GHz ''per core'' while they have an immense amount of cores, sometimes going up into thousands.

This makes GPU's very potent for certain applications, like drawing images or GPGPU.

For most calculations though, the CPU is better. This is because the GPU can only handle certain things, while the CPU can do about everything.

You're right though, parallel computing has a lot of potency. If only we could have an entire computer run off of a GPU...

That is what I was thinking but I think (don't quote me on this) that the parralla use a nomal cpu to control which allows the 64 stack of CPU's to do all the stuff that normal CPU's can do