RAM Support for MSI B350-TOMAHAWK

Yoho there people, im about to get a fresh new Ryzen based pc, and during the part picking ive decided to get the fastest RAM I can afford (3200Mhz - the faster the RAM, the faster the Ryzen!).
Ive went to the motherboard page of the B350-TOMAHAWK and ive seen the following (attached a photo).

My question is - what the hell 3200(OC)+ stands for? Does it mean that ill need to get lower ram speeds and OC it to 3200, or it will be just fine if ill use 3200Mhz RAM out of the box? Im confused o.0

LTT RAM.png

I think it means that ram can run on that board, but it's technically an overclock ie. over 2400mhz.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."

1 minute ago, MadModder said:

I think it means that ram can run on that board, but it's technically an overclock ie. over 2400mhz.

Well its hard to say, that is the main problem i have now :o

it means the board has the BIOS already installed that allows the ram to be over clocked ( that would be a BIOS setting YOU have to make ) to 3200.

Ryzen CPU's only support up to 2400Mhz 2667Mhz memory, anything above that is overclocked by the motherboard, so it's an OC in that sense.

Most sets of memory have listed on their product page what timings were needed to get it to run at their rated speeds, but it's always hard to say if you'll actually get those speeds, since memory support on MSI boards is not great.

Edited by Minibois
I stand corrected on the frequency

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Ryzen CPU's only support up to 2400Mhz memory, anything above that is overclocked by the motherboard, so it's an OC in that sense.

Most sets of memory have listed on their product page what timings were needed to get it to run at their rated speeds, but it's always hard to say if you'll actually get those speeds, since memory support on MSI boards is not great.

Thank you, I think ill avoid the risk and ill get a 2400Mhz kits, just to make sure ill get what im paying for.

1 minute ago, Tsviki said:

Thank you, I think ill avoid the risk and ill get a 2400Mhz kits, just to make sure ill get what im paying for.

I would seriously advice going for at least 2800Mhz or higher memory, because the difference in price is not huge, but the performance bump could be a lot higher.

Worst case scenario you have to run it at a lower frequency, but maybe in the future a BIOS update might be there to bump up the speeds.

My 3200Mhz memory booted up just fine at 2133Mhz first time and I had it running at 2933Mhz in 10 minutes (3200Mhz just would not work, neither did 3066Mhz).

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

13 minutes ago, Minibois said:

Ryzen CPU's only support up to 2400Mhz memory, anything above that is overclocked by the motherboard, so it's an OC in that sense.

On AMD's website it says 2667 mhz ...

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, Minibois said:

I would seriously advice going for at least 2800Mhz or higher memory, because the difference in price is not huge, but the performance bump could be a lot higher.

Worst case scenario you have to run it at a lower frequency, but maybe in the future a BIOS update might be there to bump up the speeds.

My 3200Mhz memory booted up just fine at 2133Mhz first time and I had it running at 2933Mhz in 10 minutes (3200Mhz just would not work, neither did 3066Mhz).

On that note, do you have any kits of 16GB(2x8) you can recommend?

Just now, Tsviki said:

On that note, do you have any kits of 16GB(2x8) you can recommend?

People seemed to have had luck with CL14 sets at 3200Mhz, CL16 not so much (from personal experience), so CL14 is recommended for getting the highest speeds.

Other than that, there are many different sets for memory that are good.

I personally got TridentZ RGB, because I'm a sucker for RGB, but regular G.Skill TridentZ, Flare X, etc. would work fine too. Corsair's LPX line is pretty good too.

I'm sure there are people that like Geil, Team or whatever memory too, but I just don't have any experience with it.

5 minutes ago, MrTiC said:

On AMD's website it says 2667 mhz ...

I stand corrected. I still have that all that Intel memory speed information clouding my brain!

1) DO NOT get B350 Cancerhawk, which CPU will you buy?

2) Memory support on Shittyhawk is the worst i have seen in a long time

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

1 minute ago, Minibois said:

People seemed to have had luck with CL14 sets at 3200Mhz, CL16 not so much (from personal experience), so CL14 is recommended for getting the highest speeds.

Other than that, there are many different sets for memory that are good.

I personally got TridentZ RGB, because I'm a sucker for RGB, but regular G.Skill TridentZ, Flare X, etc. would work fine too. Corsair's LPX line is pretty good too.

I'm sure there are people that like Geil, Team or whatever memory too, but I just don't have any experience with it.

I stand corrected. I still have that all that Intel memory speed information clouding my brain!

I got 16GB of 3200 mhz flare x at cl14 since launch on a gigabyte  X370 Gaming 5

never had issue's 

Anything up to 2666 mhz should work out of the box 

Anything over 2666 has to be samsung B-die chips 

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, MrTiC said:

I got 16GB of 3200 mhz flare x at cl14 since launch on a gigabyte  X370 Gaming 5

never had issue's 

Anything up to 2666 mhz should work out of the box 

Anything over 2666 has to be samsung B-die chips 

I will tell you a secret, i am running SK Hynix chips at 2933 C14 1.35V and could probably do 3200MHz

9 minutes ago, dave_k said:

1) DO NOT get B350 Cancerhawk, which CPU will you buy?

2) Memory support on Shittyhawk is the worst i have seen in a long time

Im planning to get the Ryzen 5 1600.

As far for part picking the motherboard was the most difficult thing ever. I want to get something with 4 DIMM slots, at least 3 system fan headers and maybe some m.2? must be ATX (my eyes wont allow mAtx board in ATX case.

If you have any motherboard you can recommend me that wont break the bank ill be glad.

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

I will tell you a secret, i am running SK Hynix chips at 2933 C14 1.35V and could probably do 3200MHz

That's fantastic :D

I know it got ALOT better with ram for ryzen, but it still isnt up to snuff ( Ram and bios'es for that matter)

But to be sure 100% samsung is still the way to go OR do some research lel 

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, Tsviki said:

Im planning to get the Ryzen 5 1600.

As far for part picking the motherboard was the most difficult thing ever. I want to get something with 4 DIMM slots, at least 3 system fan headers and maybe some m.2? must be an ATX (my eyes wont allow a mAtx board in an ATX case.

If you have any motherboard you can recommend me that wont break the bank ill be glad.

Asus Strix B350-F is good. DO NOT get any MSI/Gigabyte B350 (even their X370s suck lol) mobos.

1 minute ago, MrTiC said:

That's fantastic :D

I know it got ALOT better with ram for ryzen, but it still isnt up to snuff ( Ram and bios'es for that matter)

But to be sure 100% samsung is still the way to go OR do some research lel 

Yeah i mean, Asus has the best memory support, their mobos can run just about anything, i heard about Hynix crossing 3333MHz barrier on Crosshair

Just now, dave_k said:

Asus Strix B350-F is good. DO NOT get any MSI/Gigabyte B350 (even their X370s suck lol) mobos.

Sadly almost everywhere in my country that sells pc parts wont have any strix motherboard up in stock, that is what the picking here is so annoying.

Just now, Tsviki said:

Sadly almost everywhere in my country that sells pc parts wont have any strix motherboard up in stock, that is what the picking here is so annoying.

ASRock AB350 Pro4 could be another choice, it is a bit worse than Strix but still way better than Tomahawk

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Yeah i mean, Asus has the best memory support, their mobos can run just about anything, i heard about Hynix crossing 3333MHz barrier on Crosshair

yeah what do you expect from a motherboard that costs 299 euro lel

Asrock is also on top of things ...

Let's agree to disagree

Just now, MrTiC said:

Asrock is also on top of things ...

Yeah. Mostly.

ASRock AB350 Pro4 could be another choice, it is a bit worse than Strix but still way better than Tomahawk

Ill put is simple, in my shitty country there is only 3 main brands for motherboards: Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS.
ASUS here is pretty shitty and simple. on the Gigabyte side the K gaming series is the thing I can get, MSI aswell, pretty simple and stupid boards, not to mention pricing.

1 minute ago, Tsviki said:

Ill put is simple, in my shitty country there is only 3 main brands for motherboards: Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS.
ASUS here is pretty shitty and simple. on the Gigabyte side the K gaming series is the thing I can get, MSI aswell, pretty simple and stupid boards, not to mention pricing.

Gigabyte and MSI should be avoided. From Asus, try to find Prime B350 Plus.

Also, where do you live?

Gigabyte and MSI should be avoided. From Asus, try to find Prime B350 Plus.

Also, where do you live?

I live in Israel, just for you to understand, be quiet! came here just 2 months ago, Dark Rock 3 or even Pure Rock Slim is brand new here, lol.

Just now, Tsviki said:

I live in Israel, just for you to understand, be quiet! came here just 2 months ago, Dark Rock 3 or ever Pure Rock Slim is brand new here, lol.

Oh. I wanted to recommend you buying from amazon. Is there any country around where are parts cheap and is there no war?