got some questions about a hard drive I salvaged from a dead iMac

Railgun
Go to solution Solved by Tsuki,
15 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

It's just an OEM drive made for use by Apple. So basically, regular drive but impossible to find with serial numbers.

actually its this

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW

easily found with the model number

its just the old version of the barracuda

Few things. I need help figuring out the details of this drive. I've only used WD drives in the past but they have different models (blue, green black, etc) that have different strengths. Wondering if Seagate does this too. If so, what kind of drive is this one?

Also, for installing the drive I'm assuming I just need to hook it up and re-format it to a PC friendly format. I just want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks

20170830_175012.jpg

"sata af bro"

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

2 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Few things. I need help figuring out the details of this drive. I've only used WD drives in the past but they have different models (blue, green black, etc) that have different strengths. Wondering if Seagate does this too. If so, what kind of drive is this one?

Also, for installing the drive I'm assuming I just need to hook it up and re-format it to a PC friendly format. I just want to make sure this is correct.

Thanks

20170830_175012.jpg

"sata af bro"

it is a desktop drive hense the "Desktop HDD"

All you have to do is format it. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, _Dr_Eye_ said:

it is a desktop drive hense the "Desktop HDD"

This much is obvious. WD's desktop HDDs come in a variety of different models but I don't know anything about Seagate and this drive doesn't seem to have any sort of special indication on it. That's what I'm asking about.

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

All you have to do is format it. 

All you had to do, was follow the damn train CJ!

Just now, Railgun said:

This much is obvious. WD's desktop HDDs come in a variety of different models but I don't know anything about Seagate and this drive doesn't seem to have any sort of special indication on it. That's what I'm asking about.

they do now it think that the drive is from before that started eqewing

37 minutes ago, Railgun said:

*snip*

As linus once said, Macs are not made of magic and unicorn sparkles, they are just regular computers with most regular hardware, yes you just need to format it and use it, no fear.

To be fair I don't know about Seagate's Hard Drive line up, from the top of my head I only know the Barracuda ones, which I believe are the consumer desktop SKU.

1 minute ago, JoaoDforce said:

As linus once said, Macs are not made of magic and unicorn sparkles*, they are just regular computers with most regular hardware, yes you just need to format it and use it, no fear.

To be fair I don't know about Seagate's Hard Drive line up, from the top of my head I only know the Barracuda ones, which I believe are the consumer desktop SKU.

I did a little more searching (and even entered the QR code on their website) and still found nothing lol. Just gonna roll with it. Whatever type of hard drive this is, it's still a free hard drive.

Thanks for your help everyone

*dragon scales and the force

8 minutes ago, Railgun said:

Thanks

20170830_175012.jpg

"sata af bro"

Seagate does do the same as WD with the blue/red/etc. they are barracuda/barracuda pro/iron wolf/skyhawk/firepro(sshd) the disk you have is from there previous batch and i think it is now end-of-life which is not to say it is junk.

Yes you have to format it with Windows friendly format once you don't want any data from that drive. it should make a good backup drive.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

4 minutes ago, Railgun said:

I did a little more searching (and even entered the QR code on their website) and still found nothing lol. Just gonna roll with it. Whatever type of hard drive this is, it's still a free hard drive.

Aaaaaw man, you remembered his words, amazing, I didnt remembered the exact words he used but I think I goto the point across ?

1 minute ago, JoaoDforce said:

Aaaaaw man, you remembered his words, amazing, I didnt remembered the exact words he used but I think I goto the point across ?

From the moment I saw that video I never stopped using those words to describe what Macs aren't, lol.

5 minutes ago, Leonard said:

Seagate does do the same as WD with the blue/red/etc. they are barracuda/barracuda pro/iron wolf/skyhawk/firepro(sshd) the disk you have is from there previous batch and i think it is now end-of-life which is not to say it is junk.

Yes you have to format it with Windows friendly format once you don't want any data from that drive. it should make a good backup drive.

Hmm.. Guess that means I can expect it to not perform as well as a modern drive?

9 minutes ago, Railgun said:

It's just an OEM drive made for use by Apple. So basically, regular drive but impossible to find with serial numbers.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, Railgun said:

From the moment I saw that video I never stopped using those words to describe what Macs aren't, lol.

Hmm.. Guess that means I can expect it to not perform as well as a modern drive?

It will just that it will run a degree hotter at idle and cool down slower than the new ones.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

15 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

actually its this

https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW

easily found with the model number

its just the old version of the barracuda

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

wait ... nobody pointed out the part number in the picture?? lollll

it's a simple Seagate 1TB HDD, the model is the first number on the sticker; ST1000M003

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

You guys are looking at all the wrong things! xD

EDIT : damn you @Tsuki ... you were faster than I was!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

wait ... nobody pointed out the part number in the picture?? lollll

it's a simple Seagate 1TB HDD, the model is the first number on the sticker; ST1000M003

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148840

You guys are looking at all the wrong things! xD

EDIT : damn you @Tsuki ... you were faster than I was!

yea i figured more people knew how to read the label lol maybe its just cuz i worked retail so long and have handled literally thousands of these drives.  did think it was so complicated lol

:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

aayyyy thanks guys

@wkdpaul

@Tsuki

Just now, Tsuki said:

*snip*

lol yeah, same here, I work with PCs all day, just seeing the label I knew right away it was a 1TB 7200rpm drive! :P

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

If I were you, I'd have a look at it's SMART data.  See if it's dinged up any warnings and also look at how many hours of power on time it's clocked.  Maybe it was very lightly used and only has several months of power on time but maybe it was used endlessly and has years and years of power on time.

Here is the spec sheet for the drive. As others have mentioned, it is from our BarraCuda lineup, which is a standard desktop-grade drive. Our consumer-grade drives are broken down into three main categories: BarraCuda for desktop/gaming, IronWolf for NAS, and SkyHawk for surveillance. There is also the FireCuda which is an SSHD (Solid-State Hybrid Drive) branch of the BarraCuda. Collectively they're known as the Guardian Series. As other users have mentioned, the ST1000DM003 pictured is an older version of our 1TB BarraCuda. The new model of our 1TB BarraCuda is ST1000DM010. It's still a good model, just with newer engineering, research, and development comes optimizations and firmware which can help the drives.

When finding spec sheets for specific drive models, one tip is to Google something like: Seagate *insert model number here* spec sheet. Or you could just summon us and we will do our best to dig into it for you. 

If you'd like to be sure the drive is in good shape, you could always download our free diagnostic utility SeaTools to scan the drive for potential issues.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming