Problem with PSU not powering GPU under load

GymothyCharles
Go to solution Solved by Changis,
Just now, GymothyCharles said:

-snip-

the sound it makes, is it the game sound freezing or does it come from your computer case? if the latter, can you record it?

i don't think it's your PSU, if it was, your computer would turn off immediately if it was.
you might be hitting half your psu wattage at maximum peak (running aida64 and furmark and some other tasks as well simultaneously) so i severly doubt it's your psu.

also if you only have one game to go by, (is it even final build?) it's not really solid evidence for anything really..
try reinstalling the game with a fresh download. same thing?

run 3dmark or catzilla or unigine benchmarks or all of them if you want and some other gpu intensive games if you have..

if it passes those, try furmark for a little while (watching temps).. if nothing happens, it's something with the game.

Hello all.

I have recently been playing a lot of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, and I have never had any problems with performance (high settings, 60FPS most of the time), and I'm still actually getting the same performance, the problem isn't that. The problem is that when I join a game, and am about to jump from the plane, my computer will make an odd noise, then all video output stops.

I am using a GTX 970 from MSI (the Twin Frozr Gaming card) and an i5 4430. I have 8GB of RAM as well, and the game is installed on my SDD. The problem is power draw, so I have an 850W G2 from EVGA (80+ Gold).

This has happened twice in a row now, and I haven't tried any other games. If you would like me to run another game or a benchmarking tool to see if it is actually a load problem, i would happily do so.

Thank you for your time,

GymothyCharles

P.S. I might add that I am using Windows 10, 64 Bit, and haven't changed anything since it was working.  Also, I just tried updating my drivers, and that did not seem to help. No overclocks either.  I had this problem a month or two ago with the same game and switching out the PCI cable fixed it, but i don't have any more 8 + 6 pin cables, and the 8 pin didnt work.  Temps when the problem occurs here - 

For the last two pictures, as and after it happened, I couldn't see anything on my monitors, and just captured a window.

I am a beautiful person who is a good idea to have a good time to time and money to buy a new job and I need some help with the same time for the first time in the middle of the day.

Wow, stop with the grey text. I almost am not able to read it. Have you tried another PSU with your system?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Wow, stop with the grey text. I almost am not able to read it. Have you tried another PSU with your system?

I don't have another PSU powerful enough, and can't afford another one.  Also, what do you mean by grey text?

I am a beautiful person who is a good idea to have a good time to time and money to buy a new job and I need some help with the same time for the first time in the middle of the day.

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

grey text? i use night theme and the text is white as it should be

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

I don't have another PSU powerful enough, and can't afford another one.  Also, what do you mean by grey text?

grey.PNG.084edd75a6642aaf2a6799e98572e923.PNG

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Changis said:

grey text? i use night theme and the text is white as it should be

Not on the day theme. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Not on the day theme. 

huh :P never encountered it the other way around :P

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

Oh, well im not sure how to change that.  Wasnt on purpose

Grey text aside, i would still like help with this problem, as i don't really want to drop X money on a new psu

-snip-

the sound it makes, is it the game sound freezing or does it come from your computer case? if the latter, can you record it?

i don't think it's your PSU, if it was, your computer would turn off immediately if it was.
you might be hitting half your psu wattage at maximum peak (running aida64 and furmark and some other tasks as well simultaneously) so i severly doubt it's your psu.

also if you only have one game to go by, (is it even final build?) it's not really solid evidence for anything really..
try reinstalling the game with a fresh download. same thing?

run 3dmark or catzilla or unigine benchmarks or all of them if you want and some other gpu intensive games if you have..

if it passes those, try furmark for a little while (watching temps).. if nothing happens, it's something with the game.

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Just now, Changis said:

suggestions

thank you for the help, i will try those.  The sound is through my headphones, and is just a short beep.  After it happens, when i restart my pc it freezes when loading Windows and just shows a white bar on the screen.  I was thinking that maybe the PSU was fucking up the cables, since that was what fixed it before.  Anyway, ill get back to you after benchmarks and stress testing and stuff.

thank you for the help, i will try those.  The sound is through my headphones, and is just a short beep.  After it happens, when i restart my pc it freezes when loading Windows and just shows a white bar on the screen.  I was thinking that maybe the PSU was fucking up the cables, since that was what fixed it before.  Anyway, ill get back to you after benchmarks and stress testing and stuff.

evga g2 80plus gold is a tier 1 psu, it's one of the best you can get

P.U.B. is still early access.. crashes like these can occur as you are essentially beta testing the game..
without testing anything else, you should look at what the most logical point of failure would be and work from there..

"hmm.. one of the best quality psu's or a early access, basically unfinished game.. must be the psu" :P jk

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, GymothyCharles said:

Hello all.For the last two pictures, as and after it happened, I couldn't see anything on my monitors, and just captured a window.

First of all, have you considered the fact that your EVGA 850W G2 could power your system thrice (your system uses about 230W from the wall)? Your PSU is likely not the worry here.

Second, your issue sounds to me like the game crashing. Did you try running the game in windowed mode or anything the like? PUBG is a beta, just remember that.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

19 minutes ago, Changis said:

logic

Well, i guess im an idiot, because I just ran Unigine Valley at max settings 1080p and ran Witcher 3 at max settings 1080p in the most demanding area i could find and had no problems (aside from framerate).  Thank you for your help, ill try reinstalling PUBG and see if that helps :)

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

First of all, have you considered the fact that your EVGA 850W G2 could power your system thrice (your system uses about 230W from the wall)? Your PSU is likely not the worry here.

Second, your issue sounds to me like the game crashing. Did you try running the game in windowed mode or anything the like? PUBG is a beta, just remember that.

It's not the game crashing it's the whole computer, then problems upon rebooting as well.  Thats a crazy messed up game to do that.  Also, I know power draw isn't going to be a problem, i just thought maybe my power supply was messed up or something.  If i pay 180 dollars for something it better damn well be good, i know that

1 minute ago, GymothyCharles said:

It's not the game crashing it's the whole computer, then problems upon rebooting as well.  Thats a crazy messed up game to do that.  Also, I know power draw isn't going to be a problem, i just thought maybe my power supply was messed up or something.  If i pay 180 dollars for something it better damn well be good, i know that

try checking the PUBG bugthread/forums, there might be people with similar issues there.

a game can crash the whole computer. it's happened to me some times.. mostly just locks up and freezes the computer..

startup problems? try running a clean boot (google how to, it's too late and i'm too lazy to find a guide :P )

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, GymothyCharles said:

3D Mark Sky Diver has nuked a GPU of mine so bad I had to unplug my PC from the wall and plug it back in to get it to work again. It crashed the computer hard. Software has the ability to do that!

I think you should try other games to see if this happens in them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

5 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

I think you should try other games to see if this happens in them.

I ran Witcher 3 and Unigine Valley at max settings 1080p with no issues, so it does seem to be the game.  I'm reinstalling to see if it will fix the problem.