M.2 or SSD?

christoskyr

For 130-150€ is it better to buy a 240 GB m.2 drive (thinking about either Patriot Hellfire M.2 240GB or Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB) or a 480GB SATA ssd? I don't see why an m.2 would be a better solution as it is much faster

Thank you for your time :D

Can you even utilize an M.2 drive in your system? And by the way, M.2 is an SSD format, not something other than an SSD.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

M.2 is a form factor
M.2 comes with either SATA or NVMe interface

For most users, NVMe SSD is a waste of money as there's no significant speed gains

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Can you even utilize an M.2 drive in your system? And by the way, M.2 is an SSD format, not something other than an SSD.

By utilize, you mean whether my motherboard has an m.2 slot?

3 minutes ago, christoskyr said:

For 130-150€ is it better to buy a 240 GB m.2 drive (thinking about either Patriot Hellfire M.2 240GB or Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB) or a 480GB ssd? I don't see why an m.2 would be a better solution as it is much faster

Thank you for your time :D

SSDs come in two different "form factors"

These include 2.5", 3.5", NVMe and m.2.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

3 minutes ago, christoskyr said:

By utilize, you mean whether my motherboard has an m.2 slot?

Yes
Also whether it supports NVMe interface or not (but like I said above, there's little reason to get NVMe SSD)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

3 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

NVMe

This is not a form factor

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

m.2 and SATA is what you mean, but the SATA drive will be much better value unless you are doing 4K video work or something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

As for which of those two listed are better - I'd  The Patriot Hellfire m.2 gets a score of 10357, while the 960 EVO gets a score of 13172.

So the 960 EVO wins by a healthy margin.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Buy the bigger 2.5 incher.  The speeds the M.2 offers aren't noticeable for gaming or other tasks like that.  They only really come into play for moving BIG files around.

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

m.2 and SATA is what you mean, but the SATA drive will be much better value unless you are doing 4K video work or something

Or, too much money to spendxD

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

As for which of those two listed are better - I'd  The Patriot Hellfire m.2 gets a score of 10357, while the 960 EVO gets a score of 13172.

So the 960 EVO wins by a healthy margin.

In real world, normal usage, you won't notice any significant difference

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

m.2 is a form factor.

ssd is well... an ssd.

For almost everyone, a normal 2.5" ssd will suffice. (gaming, booting windows)

The faster speeds of pcie ssd's are only significant when using it for video editing large files at higher resolution like 4k.

2 minutes ago, ZM Fong said:

This is not a form factor

I thought NVMe were storage cards that ran through PCIe slots.

buy the 480 gig SSD, you'll notice the extra space more than the neglible real-world speed difference between joe average sata SSD and a top end M.2 SSD.

So if I'm not moving big files all the time and editing videos, and what I'm using my pc is gaming, a sata ssd is the better choice?

If I'm running multiple programs at the same time, is it better to have an m.2 or a sata ssd?

4 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

I thought NVMe were storage cards that ran through PCIe slots.

NVMe is a communication protocol that uses PCIe as the physical communication link.

1 minute ago, christoskyr said:

So if I'm not moving big files all the time and editing videos, and what I'm using my pc is gaming, a sata ssd is the better choice?

If I'm running multiple programs at the same time, is it better to have an m.2 or a sata ssd?

SATA SSDs come in a 2.5" drive or M.2 form factor.

I recommend 2.5" drives because M.2 slots are often inconveniently placed where the cards will get hot.

Also any suggestions about a good 480gb sata ssd?

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Crucial MX300 525GB

SK Hynix SL308 500GB

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Crucial MX300 525GB

SK Hynix SL308 500GB

Where did you look up the ssd scores?

2 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

~Snip ~

NVMe is a communication protocol that uses PCIe as the physical communication link.

So would the "form factor" be PCI-e?

Where did you look up the ssd scores?

Google

BTW I'm not just looking at scores, things like random read/write, speed consistency sometimes are more important

Edited by ZM Fong

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

no the form factor would be m.2 followed by the size in millimeters etc 2280 being 80 mm for example!