Something is Troubling Me at LTT

DavePlays

I'm going to be honest here, but I will not attack anyone or insult anyone. Just want to get my voice out there. I'm just concerned about LTT and the path it's taking.

To be honest, I'm getting so sick of all these "paid promotions". It takes away from the genuineness of the content. Using this specific video as an example, it's extraordinarily unlikely for a group of gamers to go camping for a lan party. Isn't the point of going camping to get away from your connected lifestyle?

Also, the silly editing techniques (i.e. timecode 2:30) just take away from the professionalism and quality that I have come to expect from LTT over the last several years. When I see stuff like this, it makes it extremely difficult to take Linus and the video's content seriously. I used to watch LTT to learn. 

I was deeply fascinated by the original 18 core Xeon + Titan X in an MITX case build. That was something new that is actually something people could do themselves (be it on a smaller budget). But a lan party while camping? Seriously? 

Now all I see are ads, "sponsored by", "paid promotion", etc. I know that these sponsored projects account for a large piece of LMG's financial income, but the sheer quantity of these types of videos make watching LTT more of a chore than a pleasure. Out of the last 30 videos on the LTT channel, at least 8 contain "sponsored by" or "paid promotion" right in the video... that's almost 25%. Add the standard integration ads at the ends of videos on to that, and you're looking at 35-50% of the total video length being an ad. Then figure the ads YouTube plays at the beginnings of videos. I know this is a tough topic to discuss, but I just feel that LTT is following YouTube's trend at becoming a promotion service.

Feel free to reply. I plan on responding. I've done my best to be civil, and not have a "one-sided" viewpoint. I still love LTT and want it to continue to produce great content, which it still does... just not at the caliber that I feel it used to.

Thanks guys.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

Well, you said it yourself, they need the income, things like this can't be avoided. They have no other choice, they can't run on nothing.

I can't imagine they will advertise much more than this, so I wouldn't worry about a snowball effect much.

If it feels more like a chore then you should not watch it, not meant as in a 'gtfo' way, you simply shouldn't watch something you don't like or are dreading to watch.

i understand what you mean, i remember at some point they did a video, not sure if it was in scrapyard wars too, in which they would very much mention the ifixit tool kit, i just stopped watching the video from this point, it felt so fake and out of place product placement i felt like watching an hour long commercial.

i understand they need the income and i'M okay with that but they should be more careful as to how they implement the commercials and advertising.

found it, he basically goes trought all the ifixit kit contains and mention each item...

Pretty sure that's because of rules on Youtube where if a video is sponsored by a company, it has to state it in the video.

Just now, DavePlays said:

Now all I see are ads, "sponsored by", "paid promotion", etc. I know that these sponsored projects account for a large piece of LMG's financial income, but the sheer quantity of these types of videos make watching LTT more of a chore than a pleasure. Out of the last 30 videos on the LTT channel, at least 8 contain "sponsored by" or "paid promotion" right in the video... that's almost 25%. Add the standard integration ads at the ends of videos on to that, and you're looking at 35-50% of the total video length being an ad. Then figure the ads YouTube plays at the beginnings of videos. I know this is a tough topic to discuss, but I just feel that LTT is following YouTube's trend at becoming a promotion service.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I understand, but I feel it's gotten to the point where it's detracting from the overall quality of the videos.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Pretty sure that's because of rules on Youtube where if a video is sponsored by a company, it has to state it in the video.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

4 minutes ago, DavePlays said:

To be honest, I'm getting so sick of all these "paid promotions". It takes away from the genuineness of the content. Using this specific video as an example, it's extraordinarily unlikely for a group of gamers to go camping for a lan party. Isn't the point of going camping to get away from your connected lifestyle?

Have you not seen the High LANder video from a few years ago? Similar concept. It's more of can we do this rather than should we.

5 minutes ago, DavePlays said:

Also, the silly editing techniques (i.e. timecode 2:30) just take away from the professionalism and quality that I have come to expect from LTT over the last several years. When I see stuff like this, it makes it extremely difficult to take Linus and the video's content seriously. I used to watch LTT to learn. 

I was deeply fascinated by the original 18 core Xeon + Titan X in an MITX case build. That was something new that is actually something people could do themselves (be it on a smaller budget). But a lan party while camping? Seriously?

I remember their videos having stuff like that for years now. It's nothing new.

6 minutes ago, DavePlays said:

Linus is trying to build an actual media company, not just a Youtube channel.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I've been feeling a little the same way - although I actually do enjoy some of the off-the-wall stuff they do (such as a camping lan party), just because it's unique and different. Having said that, it's gotten to the point that if I see at the start of the video, "Promoted/Sponsored by X" I lose all interest and close the video.

Not because I think they're selling out or anything, but I just feel like I'd be watching an ad.

2 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

That's because it's against the law in most western countries to not disclose sponsorship in media.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

as you said, they need the money, i like the editing style. It makes it more informal and more amusing to watch.

I do agree with you on the bit about missing projects like "18 core Xeon + Titan X in an MITX case build" as you mentioned. But there are only so many of those videos that you can do.

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

That's because it's against the law in most western countries to not disclose sponsorship in media.

I don't remember it being a required thing on YouTube until recently though, atleast the "this is a sponsored video" or "paid advertisement" having to be in the corner all video. Or i just never noticed it earlier idk :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

These days, PC Perspective, Gamers Nexus and Paul's Hardware are my greatly preferred channels over Linus. Jay is becoming a little intolerable as well; he is trying to ape Linus too much.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Just now, RKRiley said:

I don't remember it being a required thing on YouTube until recently though, atleast the "this is a sponsored video" or "paid advertisement" having to be in the corner all video. Or i just never noticed it earlier idk :P 

Even if the company didn't require it, the law did.

4 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Have you not seen the High LANder video from a few years ago? Similar concept. It's more of can we do this rather than should we.

I remember their videos having stuff like that for years now. It's nothing new.

Linus is trying to build an actual media company, not just a Youtube channel.

HighLANder was great because they were legit making history there.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

I don't terribly mind videos like this that have kind of a dumb premise to promote a product, even if they have to make more of them. Linus has like 20-something employees now, they need to make money. I get that.

What I do miss is the off-the-cuff, non-scripted content LTT used to make a lot more of. Like, the style that whole-room watercooling was done in, or the old school vlogs. I've legitimately watched through all the moving and Mexico trip vlog content multiple times because I enjoy it so much. The travel stuff, HighLANder, I could go on and on.

But it's not just stuff unrelated to tech. The old disaster of a hardline build with Luke. The oil cooled build. The Compensator(s). Even stuff as new as Luke's new PC with all the crystals. Data recovery process after Whonnock died. Some of my favorite videos LMG has ever made. Wish they would revert more content back to that style, even if they keep the increased ads, clickbaity thumbs and titles and childish editing. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Just now, Spork829 said:

I don't terribly mind videos like this that have kind of a dumb premise to promote a product, even if they have to make more of them. Linus has like 20-something employees now, they need to make money. I get that.

What I do miss is the off-the-cuff, non-scripted content LTT used to make a lot more of. Like, the style that whole-room watercooling was done in, or the old school vlogs. I've legitimately watched through all the moving and Mexico trip vlog content multiple times because I enjoy it so much.

But it's not just stuff unrelated to tech. The old disaster of a hardline build with Luke. The oil cooled build. The Compensator(s). Even stuff as new as Luke's new PC with all the crystals. Data recovery process after Whonnock died. Some of my favorite videos LMG has ever made. Wish they would revert more content back to that style, even if they keep the increased ads, clickbaity thumbs and titles and childish editing. 

Exactly - real world problems and silly but effective solutions that can get viewers tempted to try themselves. That's what I loved about LTT.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

I partially agree and disagree. I dislike some of the editing choices that they've done recently. Personally, when I go to watch a video I either want for it to be formal and educational, or relaxed and funny. I don't enjoy when it hits the odd place in between.

As for sponsored videos in general, I understand why they're doing it - but wish they would do it in another way.

In this current video, I think I disliked the video more than the actual advertisement - just the paradoxicality of it. Why wouldn't you use a high-end laptop and a power bank instead of paying to rent a generator and a ups? The advertisement didn't help, but the video was flawed at it's base.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

At least they're transparent about it. I'll take an honest "Hey guys, this is sponsored content" over badly disguised product placement any day. (The new tunnelbear thing with the costume is creepy AF though, I much preferred the old way on that one).

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

4 hours ago, Imbellis said:

I partially agree and disagree. I dislike some of the editing choices that they've done recently. Personally, when I go to watch a video I either want for it to be formal and educational, or relaxed and funny. I don't enjoy when it hits the odd place in between.

As for sponsored videos in general, I understand why they're doing it - but wish they would do it in another way.

In this current video, I think I disliked the video more than the actual advertisement - just the paradoxicality of it. Why wouldn't you use a high-end laptop and a power bank instead of paying to rent a generator and a ups? The advertisement didn't help, but the video was flawed at it's base.

I'm totally fine with the "more relaxed" editing methods - but when they go over the top, it detracts from the video.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy13 said:

I have to agree that the Outdoor Gaming video was quite a poor video concept wise, The sponsors did not get a product marketed, viewers cannot relate to the scenario but the way the video was executed was what made it I suppose.

I wouldn't say that I hate sponsored videos from LTT, They do them right and there is no smoke and mirrors, Something like Scrapyard wars clearly benefits from the sponsoring and I think because we can see the high production value of the sponsored videos like scrapyard wars it makes the normal production sponsored videos just look like cash grabs and I can sort of see that logic. But personally I dont mind the the new videos that are being produced. If it were a problem then people wont watch the videos, There current business model is sustainable and thats all that matters.

I agree with you. They have to be sustainable, and they obviously can be. It's just I feel they are pushing the boundaries of what makes a video practical and useful, and what makes a video entertaining but otherwise useless.

DON'T FORGET TO

BEEP BEEP LIKE A SHEEP

You are not the only one that feels this way. 

They took a more childish approach when it comes to their videos. 

And to be honest, I've disliked their video style for a long time. 

Now it were just " I SPENT $100000000 ON AN ITEM SO I AM COOL " style of videos. 

And their videos are lack of information to be honest, especially when compares to new comers like hardware unboxed. 

Their videos are just felt like ads now to be honest. 

There are people who still enjoy this style of videos, you can see that their view number and sub number is still going up. But I suspect most of the viewers are just kids.. and they are his "target-audiences" now. 

And btw this is the 4th or 5th times I saw this kind of thread on this forum. A lot of people felt the same way as you do. Most of them disliked their video style and confessed that they have been watching Linus's videos less and less. I am one of them. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

7 hours ago, MegaDave91 said:

Paul's Hardware

Paul is the kind of a guy that you knew you can trust with. A bit boring? Yup. But reliable and accountable. 

7 hours ago, Spork829 said:

He still does some "moving vlog" or "hardline build" etc. 

You know why we all liked his old video? Because it is sincere. And he really enjoys it. 

And the staff were really enjoying it. 

Now it feels like a formula. "Moving vlogs generates a lot of views? Let's move stuff a from point b to point c! Yeah!! " 

Don't blame LTT, blame Google for messing with the algorithms. They're just playing the system and if creators want to survive on YouTube they either must create LOOOOONG (1hr plus) videos or silly/controversial videos otherwise Googles monetising algorithm ignores the video and the only people who see it are subs with notifications enabled.

Google created YouTube 2.0 and LTT are just playing the game until Floatplane is ready.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

This could be a legit reason...... 

Look at all the stupid thumbnails of big youtube channels...  =.= 

good points made above here.

additionaly i think more unscripted-style videos would at least balance out the other not so good stuff mentioned above.

ASUS ROG Strix GL502VM

i7-6700HQ | GTX 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 128GB SSD+1TB HDD 5400 RPM | 1080p IPS G-Sync