Ok im about to go and buy a Amd ryzen 5 but from some people i´ve heard that they break down and overheat easily , but that may just be cause of their bad reputation from a few years ago but pls share your opinion and should i go for an intel or ryzen.

Ryzen actually runs pretty cool, and the stock cooler will let you get a 3.8GHz OC just fine. They don't break easily, I think that's the rep FX got them. Zen is a completely new architecture, so it's separate from the cheap but massively overheating FX lineup.

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Depends on what you're doing, but Ryzen doesn't 'overheat and break easily' so I don't know where you got that from.

Purely gaming- Intel

Overall- Ryzen

In my subjective opinion.

QUOTE ME FOR A REPLY.

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600  CPU Cooler - Wraith Spire  Motherboard -  ASRock AB350M Pro4  RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series (2x4) DDR4-2400  Graphics Card - Asus STRIX GTX 950 (upgrade in future)  Power Supply - Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze  Storage - WD Blue 1TB | PNY 120GB 2.5" SSD  Case - Fractal Design Core 2300

"Sometimes you must hurt in order to know, fall in order to grow and lose in order to gain, because life’s greatest lessons are learnt through pain.

Just now, Jadan said:

Depends on what you're doing, but Ryzen doesn't 'overheat and break easily' so I don't know where you got that from.

Purely gaming- Intel

Overall- Ryzen

In my subjective opinion.

To add to that;

Purely gaming: Intel i7 (I have an i5 and I get stutter and fps drops in EA's Battlefront if there's anything other than discord open in the background, 4 cores just ain't enough these days)

Main PC 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

That is in no way true! Buy with confidence. The Ryzen lineup in no way has any reliability ties to any prior AMD offering. Ryzen 5 is generally a better buy than i5 depending on your needs.

If you want Intel you should wait until October for Coffee Lake.

Ryzen is fine, the majority of issues with it are rather related to poor motherboards, mainly MSi ones, shop consciously and every thing should work smooth and fine

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Long time AMD user, current Ryzen user and I could not be happier. Sure they have had worse hot running releases in the past, but Ryzen (at least my 1700) runs quite cool tbh, with 50 C stress test numbers (on my current cooler, stock was 60C both with 25C ambient).

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Ryzen doesn't overheat  . I'm getting 45C on an AIO atm ( 3.85ghz ) . On stock cooling , it was running at 50C at 3.5ghz .

Many people ryzen overheated easily , but that's because software reported a +20C offset on the 1700x and 1800x at launch .

And they don't "break easily" . People need to stop thinking AMD cuts corners on manufacturing . They can't and it doesn't work that way . 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Thats an old school opinion from the FX processors Id say.  I haven't heard of any issues like that with ryzen.  I would have no issue recommending ryzen 5

2 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

And they don't "break easily" . People need to stop thinking AMD cuts corners on manufacturing

Yeah it's Intel that uses "Glue" to hold the heat sink to the die. RYZEN is actually soldered together.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

Just now, Thinkfreely said:

Yeah it's Intel that uses "Glue" to hold the heat sink to the die. RYZEN is actually soldered together.

I wasn't referring to TIM . That doesn't affect lifespan under normal operation .  I meant the actual lithography and packaging process.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, Coaxialgamer said:

I meant the actual lithography and packaging process.

Sure, but if you have ever watched the actual process of what goes into the chips, more people would realize how much actual quality control these CPU's are going through, on both AMD and INTEL.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I wasn't referring to TIM . That doesn't affect lifespan under normal operation .  I meant the actual lithography and packaging process.

Yeah. You really just have a CPU or not, right? I don't know of any that just fall apart or break from being crazily made. The dies either work and get sold or don't work and get binned for lower core count CPUs or scrapped.

Main PC 

I had an FX CPU. It ran hot, but it was never fragile.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

2 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yeah. You really just have a CPU or not, right? I don't know of any that just fall apart or break from being crazily made. The dies either work and get sold or don't work and get binned for lower core count CPUs or scrapped.

but do you know something about the lifespan on normal operration or is that just nonsense from old models

15 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

To add to that;

Purely gaming: Intel i7 (I have an i5 and I get stutter and fps drops in EA's Battlefront if there's anything other than discord open in the background, 4 cores just ain't enough these days)

i7 is 4 cores xD 8 threads tho !! So you meant 4 threads not enough, and that's true for a few games, like BF1

95% of games 4cores/threads should be good enough

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

4 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

If the game is literally the only thing running on your machine, sure.

Oh hey, something wants to update in the background?  Enjoy your stutter as the system fights over processing threads.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

22 minutes ago, Maxan98 said:

Ok im about to go and buy a Amd ryzen 5 but from some people i´ve heard that they break down and overheat easily , but that may just be cause of their bad reputation from a few years ago but pls share your opinion and should i go for an intel or ryzen.

CPUs, in general, don't really "break down".

As for the overheating - that isn't a problem with Ryzen as it was with their FX series chips (with their 220 watt CPUs)

I'm cooling a 1600x with a small (ish) form factor cooler and I've had no trouble.

As others have been saying, Intel is still a valid choice for gaming, but if you want to do any workstation stuff - Ryzen's multicore is much better.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

4 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

i7 is 4 cores xD 8 threads tho !! So you meant 4 threads not enough, and that's true for a few games, like BF1

yeah, I did mean threads...  :$ 

And 4c/4t is fine for games... but if you want to have a music player, discord chat, maybe a browser open in the background, or want to multitask and play games while something is downloading (in my case, UE4), then an i5 just can't cut it. So if you do nothing else but the game and only have one lighter app (like discord) open, you should be good. 

Main PC 

If you want to go with Ryzen, i suggest you pick your motherboard precisely so you don't end with 2400MHz RAM and melted VRMs.

If you are thinking about R5 1600, the Asus B359-F Strix could be fine with some high speed memory. Check the guide in my signature

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

11 minutes ago, Maxan98 said:

but do you know something about the lifespan on normal operration or is that just nonsense from old models

Either baseclock or safe overclocked,a processor will probably work til you have some grandchildren or hand it over to them even lol :D they dont usually dies unless do some real crazy shit! 

9 minutes ago, Maxan98 said:

No. They're all new, so there's none that have worn out yet, so IDK. I'd say probs at least 5 -10 years, as some positively ancient CPUs are still kicking. 

Main PC 

1 minute ago, Zando Bob said:

yeah, I did mean threads...  :$ 

And 4c/4t is fine for games... but if you want to have a music player, discord chat, maybe a browser open in the background, or want to multitask and play games while something is downloading (in my case, UE4), then an i5 just can't cut it. So if you do nothing else but the game and only have one lighter app (like discord) open, you should be good. 

IDK what you talking about !!!

An i5 4 core 4 thread is enough to run chrome discord and other apps while you play your main game. These apps takes like 10% cpu power.... game might use like 50% cpu power..

IF you talk about BF1 its different, but for 95% of games, cpu is not used a lot.

If you have stutter because you have discord or chrome open with an i5 4 cores and you are playing overwatch, you obviously run low on RAM or something to do with windows being infected etc...

There's no way an i5 6600K per exemple can't handle a game + discord and chrome and skype and spotify etc...

I enjoyed my i5's for many years before I bought bf1 and had to upgrade to an i7 xD

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

An i5 4 core 4 thread is enough to run chrome discord and other apps while you play your main game. These apps takes like 10% cpu power.... game might use like 50% cpu power..

IF you talk about BF1 its different, but for 95% of games, cpu is not used a lot.

If you have stutter because you have discord or chrome open with an i5 4 cores and you are playing overwatch, you obviously run low on RAM or something to do with windows being infected etc...

There's no way an i5 6600K per exemple can't handle a game + discord and chrome and skype and spotify etc...

I enjoyed my i5's for many years before I bought bf1 and had to upgrade to an i7 xD

I have a lower i5, the i5 2400. Running discord and chrome, or even just a game, it maxes to 100%, I only use about 45% of my 16GB RAM, and my GPU maxes out too (due to the game). I think it's just that it suns out of threads. It's playable with some stuff running in the background, but when I tried to download/install UE4 while playing, it was unplayable. RIP my multitasking dreams. So basically, an i5 is okay, but if you're buying new, go for a Ryzen 5, it's a much better value. 

Main PC 

6 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Orly? In all Ryzen 5 1600 vs i5 7600K benchmarks i see the i5 is at 99% use and R5 at 30-50%

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM