3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I have a lower i5, the i5 2400. Running discord and chrome, or even just a game, it maxes to 100%, I only use about 45% of my 16GB RAM, and my GPU maxes out too (due to the game). I think it's just that it suns out of threads. It's playable with some stuff running in the background, but when I tried to download/install UE4 while playing, it was unplayable. RIP my multitasking dreams. So basically, an i5 is okay, but if you're buying new, go for a Ryzen 5, it's a much better value.聽

Off topico - What R5 build are going to get? Which components?

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Orly? All Ryzen 5 1600 vs i5 7600K bemchmarks i see the i5 is at 99% use and R5 at 30-50%

in what test ????

theres no way a 7600k is 100% cpu usage in every games.... zzz...

3 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I have a lower i5, the i5 2400. Running discord and chrome, or even just a game, it maxes to 100%, I only use about 45% of my 16GB RAM, and my GPU maxes out too (due to the game). I think it's just that it suns out of threads. It's playable with some stuff running in the background, but when I tried to download/install UE4 while playing, it was unplayable. RIP my multitasking dreams. So basically, an i5 is okay, but if you're buying new, go for a Ryzen 5, it's a much better value.聽

You probably have virus or too many start up application IDK man.. my friend has the 2500k not OC and he plays recent games like PUBG and ++ with no issue with discord and other stuf. I always did too with my 4690k 4670k 3570k, all i5's could handle way more than what you state.

Format and clena reinstlal maybe ?

CPU: Intel i7 6700K聽4.5聽ghz / CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i V2/ Board:聽Asus Z170-A / GPU:Asus Rog Strix聽GTX聽1070聽8GB聽/ RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX聽16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD:Samsung 850 Evo聽500 GB / PSU:聽Corsair RMx 850w/Case:Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor:聽Dell 27" TN 1ms聽1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, dave_k said:

Off topico - What R5 build are going to get? Which components?

What I'd get? I'd get an R5 1600, Gigabyte X370 K5, 16GB dark grey G.Skill Ripjaws V, and then a good SSD like an 850 Evo or Crucial MX300, plus a 1TB WD Blue for each OS (I'd probs make it a mackintosh as well).

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts:聽Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread

Main PC

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset聽

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads聽

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark聽

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block

Storage:聽 1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo聽

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40聽

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2聽

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x聽Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM

Display:聽LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

You probably have virus or too many start up application IDK man.. my friend has the 2500k not OC and he plays recent games like PUBG and ++ with no issue with discord and other stuf. I always did too with my 4690k 4670k 3570k, all i5's could handle way more than what you state.

Format and clena reinstlal maybe ?

No viruses, decently clean install, SSD boot drive, games running off a 7200rpm WD Blue, rocking my afore mentioned Sandy Bridge i5 2400, 16GB DDR3 RAM, an Intel DH77KC mobo (ethernet port is finicky, other than that it's fine), and an MSI Gaming 980 Ti. The CPU is the problem, not my OS or apps.聽

And I'm not saying i5s are bad, just they're聽okay, not excellent, for the way I use my PC. 90% of the time it's just fine, works like a charm, but it's the problems that get noticed. The bottom line is, i5s are good CPUs, but Ryzen offers a much better value for the money, with cheaper mobos and a clearer upgrade path.聽

Main PC

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x聽Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

Just now, Zando Bob said:

No viruses, decently clean install, SSD boot drive, games running off a 7200rpm WD Blue, rocking my afore mentioned Sandy Bridge i5 2400, 16GB DDR3 RAM, an Intel DH77KC mobo (ethernet port is finicky, other than that it's fine), and an MSI Gaming 980 Ti. The CPU is the problem, not my OS or apps.聽

And I'm not saying i5s are bad, just they're聽okay, not excellent, for the way I use my PC. 90% of the time it's just fine, works like a charm, but it's the problems that get noticed. The bottom line is, i5s are good CPUs, but Ryzen offers a much better value for the money, with cheaper mobos and a clearer upgrade path.聽

Obviously the i5's are dead, ryzen is a way better option for now. I'm not debating that :P

Was just saying there's no way an i5 limit you to chrome and discord.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K聽4.5聽ghz / CPU Cooler:Corsair H100i V2/ Board:聽Asus Z170-A / GPU:Asus Rog Strix聽GTX聽1070聽8GB聽/ RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX聽16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD:Samsung 850 Evo聽500 GB / PSU:聽Corsair RMx 850w/Case:Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor:聽Dell 27" TN 1ms聽1440p/144hz Gsync

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

Obviously the i5's are dead, ryzen is a way better option for now. I'm not debating that :P

Was just saying there's no way an i5 limit you to chrome and discord.

I don't have much else to run though... there is rainwater in the background, plus origin (thank Ew A for making me have to have that open to play), MSI afterburner, etc. Though like I said, it does fine most of the time.聽

Main PC

when game engines start changing, the intel i7 7700k will fall behind the i7 8700k and ryzen. The only reason for the 7700k being ahead in games is just to do with game engines utilising fewer cores so the higher clocked lower cores score better. Soon though that will all change.

Just now, Zando Bob said:

I don't have much else to run though... there is rainwater in the background, plus origin (thank Ew A for making me have to have that open to play), MSI afterburner, etc. Though like I said, it does fine most of the time.聽

Gotta say Im not coming back to i5 after I tasted the i7 :P

38 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

IDK what you talking about !!!

An i5 4 core 4 thread is enough to run chrome discord and other apps while you play your main game. These apps takes like 10% cpu power.... game might use like 50% cpu power..

IF you talk about BF1 its different, but for 95% of games, cpu is not used a lot.

If you have stutter because you have discord or chrome open with an i5 4 cores and you are playing overwatch, you obviously run low on RAM or something to do with windows being infected etc...

There's no way an i5 6600K per exemple can't handle a game + discord and chrome and skype and spotify etc...

I enjoyed my i5's for many years before I bought bf1 and had to upgrade to an i7 xD

What kind of i5's are you using? My i5-4670k is regularly being maxed out by The Witcher 3, BF1 and other CPU intensive tittles even when nothing is running in the background. And when the cpu maxes out I get stutter. I hate stutter! :D

7 minutes ago, PhaseShift said:

What kind of i5's are you using? My i5-4670k is regularly being maxed out by The Witcher 3, BF1 and other CPU intensive tittles even when nothing is running in the background. And when the cpu maxes out I get stutter. I hate stutter! :D

BF1 is the only game that made my old i5 struggle ( 4690K )

Had no issue with other games.

But yeah, I agree 4 core 4 thread is slowly becoming "not enough"

Not arguing about that :P

Cheers guys

41 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

What I'd get? I'd get an R5 1600, Gigabyte X370 K5, 16GB dark grey G.Skill Ripjaws V, and then a good SSD like an 850 Evo or Crucial MX300, plus a 1TB WD Blue for each OS (I'd probs make it a mackintosh as well).

Trust me, dont get the Gaming K5. I know i sound bad but it uses the same crappy VRMs as the rest of the cheaper boards. I did calculations and from the spec sheets of the highside i know they suck, are inefficient, have big RDS(on) and can do only low current. I did calculations for one guy with B350 Gaming 3 (same crappy VRMs), he recorded 76C on VRMs using the integrated sensor (he was annoying and couldnt understand that the sensors suck) with R5 1600 at 1.38V. At this state the VRMs ran at 100掳C+ internal temperature Tj. Its absolutely not worth $180.

Asus Strix X370-F is way better.

9 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

BF1 is the only game that made my old i5 struggle ( 4690K )

Had no issue with other games.

But yeah, I agree 4 core 4 thread is slowly becoming "not enough"

Not arguing about that :P

Cheers guys

How much was it oc'ed? Honestly I just can't seem to get the Witcher 3 to run smoothly no matter what I do with my setup. I'm running a 1070 at 1080p.

Just now, PhaseShift said:

How much was it oc'ed? Honestly I just can't seem to get the Witcher 3 to run smoothly no matter what I do with my setup. I'm running a 1070 at 1080p.

Maybe the 1070 delivers too much frames for the cpu ?

I was using 4690K @ 4.6 ghz on a gtx 970

was running 1080p ultra hairworks off, over 60 fps no lag no stutter

1 minute ago, gbergeron said:

Maybe the 1070 delivers too much frames for the cpu ?

I was using 4690K @ 4.6 ghz on a gtx 970

was running 1080p ultra hairworks off, over 60 fps no lag no stutter

The 1070 is keeping the frame rate over 60 at all times except when my cpu maxes out. When dat usage hits 95-100% my frame rate plumits for a second or two and I get stutter. Maybe I just need to oc it more :D

Just now, PhaseShift said:

The 1070 is keeping the frame rate over 60 at all times except when my cpu maxes out. When dat usage hits 95-100% my frame rate plumits for a second or two and I get stutter. Maybe I just need to oc it more :D

This is your issue.

Your gpu too strong, pushing too many frames, so the cpu is struggleing to keep on,

Try to set vsync on or maybe just limit the frames to 60. Should solve your cpu issue

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

Trust me, dont get the Gaming K5. I know i sound bad but it uses the same crappy VRMs as the rest of the cheaper boards. I did calculations and from the spec sheets of the highside i know they suck, are inefficient, have big RDS(on) and can do only low current. I did calculations for one guy with B350 Gaming 3 (same crappy VRMs), he recorded 76C on VRMs using the integrated sensor (he was annoying and couldnt understand that the sensors suck) with R5 1600 at 1.38V. At this state the VRMs ran at 100掳C+ internal temperature Tj. Its absolutely not worth $180.

Hmmm... I went to the Gigabyte board on the recommendation of @stealth80, but I think it was the K7. I like them because they have the jet black PCBs of the MSI boards (which I love) with none of the Ryzen incompatibility. the ASUS looks really nice, but I heard it is a bit flimsy and ASUS generally doesn't have the best bang for the buck. My other fave board would be the ASRock Tiachi.聽

Main PC

5 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Hmmm... I went to the Gigabyte board on the recommendation of @stealth80, but I think it was the K7. I like them because they have the jet black PCBs of the MSI boards (which I love) with none of the Ryzen incompatibility. the ASUS looks really nice, but I heard it is a bit flimsy and ASUS generally doesn't have the best bang for the buck. My other fave board would be the ASRock Tiachi.聽

Asus has best quality but Taichi is sure very good. Avoid MSI and Everything gigabyte except K7 or Gaming 5

4 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

1 hour ago, dave_k said:

At the time, the K5 was the only sub $200 board that offered bclk overclocking. Obviously that doesn't really matter anymore since Agesa 1006. I don't normally recommend the K5 based purely on the fact it was positioned further down the queue for bios updates when compared the K7 and Gaming 5.聽

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs Iced Blood 聽聽 Temporal Snow 聽聽 Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU -聽Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz聽 Motherboard -聽Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5聽聽 Ram -聽16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200聽聽GPU -聽Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium聽聽Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB,聽Seagate Barracuda 1TB聽聽 PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W聽聽Case -聽INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 hours ago, Maxan98 said:

Ok im about to go and buy a Amd ryzen 5 but from some people i麓ve heard that they break down and聽overheat easily , but that may just be cause of their bad reputation from a few years ago but pls share your opinion and should i go for an intel or ryzen.

wow haha聽

Out of all the years of building PC's i haven't even heard of CPU's breaking at all, if anything its probably the most reliable part you can buy when making a PC.聽

2 hours ago, Terryv said:

I had an FX CPU. It ran hot, but it was never fragile.

Right if anything from what i've been hearing FX even took more beating then ryzen can handle under聽liquid nitrogen. For normal users its not uncommon to see 1.5V on FX chips OC heck i think the FX 9000 series came like that out of the gate.聽

It's people who bought cheapo motherboards or mediocre MSI 970 boards when really they needed something like a 990FX sabertooth with heck even a fan over the VRM haha.聽

If you break a CPU when overclocking i can almost bet its over the boards VRM blowing out and taking the CPU with it