Extremely rare PC issue with games

Just now, jdwii said:

http://valid.x86.fr/w73cd1

Someone running ryzen with that memory and they have it set to 1 on the command rate so that might work too instead of setting it to 2T. 

If you could return the memory i'd do that too and get a stick that is faster 2800+ at least. I just saw some on newegg for about the same cost as the slower kits. All ram is too expensive   

So after I increased the voltage to 1.35V just as a I logged in my computer the message error showed up about 4 times in a row, and Half Life/Shadow of Mordor wouldn't even open up the menu. So I decided to roll to 1.1V to see what happens, I could open up Half Life and start the campaign, let the train ride for about 10 seconds then decided to strike harder with Shadow of Mordor, benchmark mode did crash again, but it definitely was more "stable" after I lowered the voltage.

That is very weird did you try changing the timings any? 

Really you can run 2666mhz on your memory and you should try changing the command rate to 1 instead of 2 since i believe that is the setting on the memory Ryzen sometimes has issues running with 2T. 

Also if you change settings and the system refuses to boot just turn off the PC and take out the battery for 30 seconds and put it back in. 

I had to do that when tweaking my ram. I will probably try and tweak my memory a little bit more. 

Hey, just saw your post and wanted to chip in.

It seems you have a factory OCed GPU, am I right? If so, try to lower GPU power limit and see what happens. 

You can do this in afterburner and something like 65~70% will do. You will lose a bit of boost clock and performance but that's better then not being able to play anything right?

If you already tried this and/or GPU is no longer the issue then my bad :P

Two revolutionary dance tones

17 minutes ago, Amber_Nova said:

Hey, just saw your post and wanted to chip in.

It seems you have a factory OCed GPU, am I right? If so, try to lower GPU power limit and see what happens. 

You can do this in afterburner and something like 65~70% will do. You will lose a bit of boost clock and performance but that's better then not being able to play anything right?

If you already tried this and/or GPU is no longer the issue then my bad :P

I already did this, I also switched CPU's and issues kept coming, no worries.

31 minutes ago, jdwii said:

That is very weird did you try changing the timings any? 

Really you can run 2666mhz on your memory and you should try changing the command rate to 1 instead of 2 since i believe that is the setting on the memory Ryzen sometimes has issues running with 2T. 

Also if you change settings and the system refuses to boot just turn off the PC and take out the battery for 30 seconds and put it back in. 

I had to do that when tweaking my ram. I will probably try and tweak my memory a little bit more. 

Will search a bit on how to do that hahaha.

@jdwii So what happened was interesting (Spoilers, still crashing), I tried to go for 2666mhz/1.35V DRAM Voltage/Command rate in each channel to be 2T, games crashed instantly, no improvements, but then I went for 2133mhz/1.2v/Command rate 2T, I open up Half Life, instantly crashed, open up Shadow of Mordor, benchmark mode goes fine (Didn't try playing) so I instantly go for Doom, so the furthest Doom has ever reached has always been 2-3 seconds in game, but for some reason this time it actually lasted about 15 seconds in, I could even see a bit of 3D rendering when the coffin opens up (For the first time lol). 

Still aiming that the CPU is bad more then the memory how did you come across having two different boards to test is one for a friend or something? If so maybe you can test that ram on another ryzen build? 

3 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Still aiming that the CPU is bad more then the memory how did you come across having two different boards to test is one for a friend or something? If so maybe you can test that ram on another ryzen build? 

I bought it thinking it was the solution, no friends with similar parts sadly.

23 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Is the DRAM the same as Profile RAM?

Can you show me a screen shot? Profile ram sounds just like XMP not sure however. 

42 minutes ago, jdwii said:

Can you show me a screen shot? Profile ram sounds just like XMP not sure however. 

These are 2 ram voltages I see, not sure which one I had to modify, Profile DDR voltage and DRAM Voltage, not my pictures.

gigabyte-aorus-ryzen-bios-100713401-orig.jpg

GLmKn4C.jpg

The
fucking
unexpected
@jdwii So the command rates are still set to 2T, since I realized that lowering the voltage fixed it a bit, I wanted to go a little deeper, so I went for 1v, I know this issue isn't completely solver but, I could legit play DOOM for 20 minutes without any sort of stutter or graphical spike, I got goosebumps and I felt so happy, I'm aware I'm not completely rid of this problem yet, but this is such a huge improvement, playing DOOM is literally what I've been trying to achieve since I built this PC.

DotA 2 is also working which during match spectations would usually crash, I can spectate a match for a good while. I don't know how did this fix my issue but I'm really skeptical yet, I'll be on the hunt for this thing, I could've never bought the other motherboard lol, but I guess I can sell it no problem here.

15 hours ago, Isaentae said:

Just saw your guys discussion here, though i havnt solved my issue yet either.

I actually bought the exact same components and returned the old parts. Motherboard and CPU and i still have the same issues.

I hardly doubt i could have got 2 different cpus and mobos with the same kind of issues.

Its so annoying i have to smash it with a hammer soon.... lol

Hey can we get you to try what EvilTomato did to see if it fixes your issue or helps it at all? 

Set DDR4 voltage to 1.1V

That is the weirdest darn thing i heard out of everything i read haha 

Generally more voltage on DDR4 is better on any platform for running the fact that you are down clocking the ram and it works. 

Run Prime95 blend for 4 hours if its stable i'll be freaking amazed 

Just came back here and saw the progress of yours!

Im running 2x4 GB Corsair Vengance LPX 2133MHz (CMK8GX4M2A2133C13)

Im away for the weekend, but ill try a 8GB HyperX 2400 Ram from the vendorslist at the start of the next week.

And also try the underclock the volt aswell before, just for the sake of research.

Really thanks for the effort you guys put in here. Im not in that big need of the computer. Its more like a hobby project and if we get it to work its been very useful and learning.

Congrats you changed total junk for junk

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

5 hours ago, dave_k said:

Congrats you changed total junk for junk

Hey thanks man highly appreciate it

7 hours ago, Isaentae said:

Just came back here and saw the progress of yours!

Im running 2x4 GB Corsair Vengance LPX 2133MHz (CMK8GX4M2A2133C13)

Im away for the weekend, but ill try a 8GB HyperX 2400 Ram from the vendorslist at the start of the next week.

And also try the underclock the volt aswell before, just for the sake of research.

Really thanks for the effort you guys put in here. Im not in that big need of the computer. Its more like a hobby project and if we get it to work its been very useful and learning.

I've been struggling with this for about 2 months, I wish I could have tech support in my country but here nothing works hahahaha

9 hours ago, jdwii said:

That is the weirdest darn thing i heard out of everything i read haha 

Generally more voltage on DDR4 is better on any platform for running the fact that you are down clocking the ram and it works. 

Run Prime95 blend for 4 hours if its stable i'll be freaking amazed 

Yeah I thought "Well, if 1.1 made it a bit more stable lets go just a bit lower!" so I changed the DRAM Voltage to 1v, I wonder if that could hurt my PC in any way, I'll run that test tomorrow or in the following days since I'll be away of the PC for quite a bit.

So I played DOOM for about an hour, Shadow Warrior for about another hour and ran Prime95 Blend mode for a complete hour and it didn't crash. DOOM and Shadow Warrior both crashed 5 minutes in but after reopening the game they didn't crash for that amount of time, it's such a big improvement, I'll make a longer session for Prime95 when I get back home.

55 minutes ago, EvilTomato said:

So I played DOOM for about an hour, Shadow Warrior for about another hour and ran Prime95 Blend mode for a complete hour and it didn't crash. DOOM and Shadow Warrior both crashed 5 minutes in but after reopening the game they didn't crash for that amount of time, it's such a big improvement, I'll make a longer session for Prime95 when I get back home.

You know that could still mean the integrated memory controller is bad and can't take higher voltage. But least its more stable now and you can use your system i would still down the road return the processor or get a newer one same goes for the ram. 

Maybe email Amd and Gigabyte and Corsair about the issue perhaps they can tell you something in more detail. 

Try Asus mobo, they tend to be issue-free

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

2 hours ago, jdwii said:

You know that could still mean the integrated memory controller is bad and can't take higher voltage. But least its more stable now and you can use your system i would still down the road return the processor or get a newer one same goes for the ram. 

Maybe email Amd and Gigabyte and Corsair about the issue perhaps they can tell you something in more detail. 

Yeah atleast I can work for a while and play games without worrying so much, when I get enough I'll replace any part, I'll probably try to see if I get the same result on the other motherboard by changing the same settings.

2 hours ago, dave_k said:

Try Asus mobo, they tend to be issue-free

Hey thanks man I highly appreciate it

Yup fixed the issue hopefully it fixes the issue for the other user too. 

Crazy that fixed it 

4 hours ago, jdwii said:

Yup fixed the issue hopefully it fixes the issue for the other user too. 

Crazy that fixed it 

Fixed it for the most part, it's still happening but VERY less often than before, I wonder if decreasing it just a bit more could erradicate the problem, but I'll contact AMD and Corsair before heading deeper.

I havnt tried the voltage stuff yet. Though im atm testing with my new ram.

With the Corsair CMK8GX4M2A2133C13 i hade these problems with following graphics card

GTX 1050, MSI Aero OC: games crashed and it 3D Mark benchmark got cancled after 1-2min.

GTX 1050 Ti, MSI Aero OC: games crashed almost instant, black screen flickerings and during benchmarks i hade graphics artifacts and rendering were really crappy. First i thought the graphics card was failure. And in benchmark it was different sometimes 1 minute to crash and sometimes 5 minutes.

GTX 1060 3GB, Asus Dual OC: Went kinda OK could go through 1 benchmark with good scores and when you tried to run the second it crashed after 1-2 minutes. Was pretending kind of weird. Tried to play Overwatch with this card. It whould almost always crash after 2-10 minutes. One time it did last for like 2 hours. And after a reboot it was back to instant crashes.

AMD R9 270 2GB, MSI non OC: Just terrible, crashed instantly and really unstable. 

With theese 3 graphics cards ive tried 2 kind of motherboards. Both the exactly same. Gigabyte AB350 Gaming(note: not gaming 3, just gaming).

And ive jumped between 2 different pairs of CMK8GX4M2A2133C13. And i've also jumped between 2 different Ryzen CPUs AMD Ryzen 5 1500X.

Now i installed a 1x8GB HyperX 2133 Fury, HX421C14FB2/8

Im using the GTX 1050Ti, and ive just ran through 4!! 3d mark benchmark (the free version) after each other and they all went well! Now i just rebooted the computer and dooing a fifth benchmark just to see how it works. And it seems to run well. Just a note the GTX 1050 Ti is the first one that i thought was broken. And its working really well atm.

Another note for now is that im running the graphics card with windows fixed driver. i will run the benchmark some more times and after that ill install the latest nvidia driver, clean install and repeat the procedure. But so far, of all ive tried i never came this far.

I put up the TDLr timer, i turned the TDLr off, i changed alots of settings i bios, i flashed bios, i changed everything for raw performance in Nvidia controlpanel, i changed PSU:s aswell.

So far it seems to be that the gigabyte board didnt like the corsair ram that much.

Hope this report is any help for you. Seems so far like it solved my problem. Rough benchmarking for 45min so far, no problems at all.