Is buying parts over a couple months smart?

Dagnis

So in my anticipation of the 8700k, I think I'm going to start buying parts for my build over the next couple of months to spread out the cost (estimated total cost is roughly 2500 for my new build). I was wondering if this is smart to do in regards to DOA parts and RMAs. Since some parts (like say if I bought my Nvidia card to get Destiny 2 free right now) will be bought 2 months before I finally put my pc together, will this make getting those parts replaced all that much harder? Is there really a risk? Or should I just suck it up and wait?

Do you already have a system? If not then I would say try and buy it in one go. If you do have a system already then you could test your (example) gpu as soon as you receive it

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

There wont be any risk regarding RMA but it would be smarter to save up and try buying everything at once because of lower prices

Only if there is an insane discount you know you won't get again, or buying off eBay or similar, which kind of forces you to go the snail route.

Otherwise, there are no advantages, and some drawbacks, to buying things before you can put together a minimally working system: you are not going to enjoy any of it before the build day anyway, so you are giving up an option value for nothing.

7 minutes ago, CaptainKieseI said:

There wont be any risk regarding RMA but it would be smarter to save up and try buying everything at once because of lower prices

well for some parts like the graphics card i don't expect prices to drop any time soon :(

i'd say if you already have a PC then buy the stuff you can already use in this PC 

11 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

Do you already have a system? If not then I would say try and buy it in one go. If you do have a system already then you could test your (example) gpu as soon as you receive it

I currently do have a system, an old 2500k. I suppose I could test some of the basics like the monitor, gpu, and SSD. 

Just now, KenjiUmino said:

well for some parts like the graphics card i don't expect prices to drop any time soon :(

i'd say if you already have a PC then buy the stuff you can already use in this PC 

yeah if he can use the parts there is no reason to not buy them now

5 minutes ago, Dagnis said:

I currently do have a system, an old 2500k. I suppose I could test some of the basics like the monitor, gpu, and SSD. 

I would recommend just doing that and then buying the cpu, motherboard and ram at the same time when the time is right for you.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

If you're going to do this, it'd be smarter to buy components that you can inspect and play with sooner rather than later. Like getting a case and PSU first, then say storage and video card, then motherboard, CPU, and RAM. Otherwise if you have components that were DOA sitting around for several months and you didn't know they were DOA, you no longer have the luxury of getting a return or a replacement from the store. You'll have to talk to the manufacturer.

If you know you can get components over several months, just put away the money you would've spent and save it until you're ready to buy in whole.

32 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

I would recommend just doing that and then buying the cpu, motherboard and ram at the same time when the time is right for you.

exactly. mainboard + CPU + RAM goes best as a one shot bundle.

also ... unlike GPU prices, CPU prices might change for the better soon with coffee lake around the corner.