G-Sync causing lamp to flicker???

orangecat

So I've been having their weird thing happen where when my framerate is low my desk lamp and a second lamp will flicker a bit. I know for a fact it's caused when G-Sync is in use because it only happens when my framerate drops dramatically. I'm not sure why this is happening but there are noticable flicker coming from my lamp when the framerate gets low. It doesn't happen if the framerate is consistent only when there's a big drop and the refresh rate is under 30 like during some loading screens. Anyone else ever see this before? Both my monitor (PG258Q) and my lamps are plugged into the same surge protector and I've never seen this before I just noticed it happening today. My voltage seems to be fine (about 110-120vac).

interesting, never had that happen, closest thing would be turning on my amp and my lights would flicker, or push 200w through my amp and have lights dim

start wearing a tinfoil hat, the government may be on your ass :ph34r: /s

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I have an ASUS GL502VM that has G-SYNC.

Yes, the flicker you get when the framerate dips wildly seems to be a trait with G-SYNC.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

You could either get out the multimeter and screw around for a few hours and probably find nothing, or just accept that's a thing, like when I vacuum my lights go dim. I know which I would do 

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

tin foil hats solve everything

- SSUPD Meshlicous - Z170I - i7-6700K - Gigabyte 2080 - 16GB Corsair Vengance - 850 EVO 1TB - H115i ICUE Link- SF600

It's the demons...

Image result for satan gif

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

7 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

So I've been having their weird thing happen where when my framerate is low my desk lamp and a second lamp will flicker a bit. I know for a fact it's caused when G-Sync is in use because it only happens when my framerate drops dramatically. I'm not sure why this is happening but there are noticable flicker coming from my lamp when the framerate gets low. It doesn't happen if the framerate is consistent only when there's a big drop and the refresh rate is under 30 like during some loading screens. Anyone else ever see this before? Both my monitor (PG258Q) and my lamps are plugged into the same surge protector and I've never seen this before I just noticed it happening today. My voltage seems to be fine (about 110-120vac).

is it a dimming flicker or brightning flicker???

is surge protector old???

is outlet grounded correctly???

That awkward moment when you confuse the actual lamp for the display backlight.

*shows myself out*

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

15 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

I have an ASUS GL502VM that has G-SYNC.

Yes, the flicker you get when the framerate dips wildly seems to be a trait with G-SYNC.

I'm not talking about the monitor in talking about a desk lamp that runs off 120v.

1 minute ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

That awkward moment when you confuse the actual lamp for the display backlight.

*shows myself out*

I know it's not me confusing anything. I even moved one of the lamps out of view and recorded a video on my phone and in the video you can see noticable flicker when the display refresh drops.

17 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

You could either get out the multimeter and screw around for a few hours and probably find nothing, or just accept that's a thing, like when I vacuum my lights go dim. I know which I would do 

Yea but that's a vacuum not a computer monitor. Seems weird to me that a monitor could do this.

10 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

is it a dimming flicker or brightning flicker???

is surge protector old???

is outlet grounded correctly???

1. Don't really know how I'm supposed to answer that.

2. Yes it's old but it's a pretty good IBM one that's never had any issues before.

3. Yes or at least I think. It's connected directly to a wall outlet and I duct see why that wouldn't be grounded correctly.

6 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

1. Don't really know how I'm supposed to answer that.

2. Yes it's old but it's a pretty good IBM one that's never had any issues before.

3. Yes or at least I think. It's connected directly to a wall outlet and I duct see why that wouldn't be grounded correctly.

does lamp on its flickering get brighter or darker??? brighter means extra volts, dimmer means volts are ok but amps is to low.

i would get different surge strip and see if thats the issue 

do you ever have flickering when the PC is not on at all?

this sounds more like the FPS drop cause the power is unstable and not the other way around, if you have a quality PSU there is no way for anything inside your PC to influence the power lines outside of it.

The full bridge rectifier alone which is present in every PSU would block any backwards current and the capacitors in the PSU should cover power surges from the PC.

either its not the PC causing it or you really need a new and better PSU.

On 22/08/2017 at 4:37 AM, bcguru9384 said:

does lamp on its flickering get brighter or darker??? brighter means extra volts, dimmer means volts are ok but amps is to low.

i would get different surge strip and see if thats the issue 

It gets dimmer but not that much. It's only noticable is I see it in the corner of my eye out as looking right at it.

On 22/08/2017 at 7:06 AM, Pixel5 said:

do you ever have flickering when the PC is not on at all?

this sounds more like the FPS drop cause the power is unstable and not the other way around, if you have a quality PSU there is no way for anything inside your PC to influence the power lines outside of it.

The full bridge rectifier alone which is present in every PSU would block any backwards current and the capacitors in the PSU should cover power surges from the PC.

either its not the PC causing it or you really need a new and better PSU.

I'm currently running an rm450 until my v700 comes back from RMA. It seems to me that when the fps is low the monitor consumes alot of power or something.