A 'Netflix tax'? Yes, and it's already a thing in some states

crua9

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/news/2017/08/17/netflix-tax-yes-and-its-already-thing-some-states/500416001/

Netflix — and tax?

Your monthly bill for Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and other streaming entertainment services could go up soon as states such as Illinois try to find ways to offset declining sales taxes and other revenue shortfalls. Chicago, Pennsylvania and Florida have already passed a so-called Netflix tax, and cities such as Pasadena, Calif. have broached the issue.

These taxes can translate to additional fees of less than $1 each month to consumers. But over the months — and tacked onto multiple streaming subscriptions — they might add up to $50 or more each year.

Netflix, consumer tax groups and tech trade organizations have voiced their opposition to such taxes, warning they can be unfair and deter innovation. Some opponents have initiated legal challenges, and at least one state has shelved plans after a court decision. But state and local governments aren't likely to halt fresh efforts as falling pay-TV subscriptions and video rentals mean there's less opportunity to tax cable bills or charge sales tax at the cash register. 

"The way, particularly, municipalities rationalize this is, 'Well, we don’t have Blockbuster Video anymore. We were charging them tax, that’s got replaced by streaming services like Netflix, so for us it's really just replacing one tax with another for the exact same service'," said Larry Downes, project director of Georgetown University’s Center for Business and Public Policy. 

Sales tax revenue last year grew less than 1%, after accounting for inflation, and states are facing slow growth into 2018, according to the Rockefeller Institute of Government at the State University of New York.

"When you see the sales tax base dwindling like this, it is understandable for lawmakers to get together and say, 'Is there a way that we can expand this?'" said John Buhl of the Tax Foundation, a non-partisan think tank.

Netflix, which boasts more than 50 million U.S. subscribers, hasn't publicly protested the growth in streaming sales taxes but it warns of attempts to assign utility-type taxes. 

"Our view is that it is a dangerous precedent to start taxing Internet apps and websites using laws intended for utilities like water and electricity," said spokesman Jonathan Friedland. " 

Amazon and Apple declined to comment; Hulu did not return request for comment. 

Where your Netflix is already taxed

States including Alabama, Illinois, Louisiana, Maine and West Virginia have considered taxes on streaming and digital entertainment. Those that have already passed so-called Netflix taxes give a sense of the fees facing consumers.

Chicago amended its 9% amusement tax, originally written to tax concert and sporting event tickets, in 2015 to apply to Netflix and other streaming entertainment, including online game networks. For a typical Netflix or Spotify subscriber with a $9.99 monthly plan, that translates to an additional 90 cents per month or $10.79 for the year.

Pennsylvania in August 2016 expanded its 6% sales tax to include streaming services, as well as downloads of apps, movies, music, games and e-books. So, when Apple or Amazon sells a $13.99 ebook to a Pennsylvania resident, the seller must include an 84 cent tax. The state has collected about $46.9 million in the first 10 months of the tax.

Washington, Florida and North Carolina also tax digital goods. 

Disney plans stand-alone streaming service, pulling films from Netflix in 2019

Sweet streams, all these streaming plans, plus Disney, could wind up costing you more.

'A tax on millennials'

Sometimes efforts don't stick. 

Kentucky began taxing Netflix in 2015, comparing it to a multichannel video programming service such as traditional pay TV. But the state's tax appeals board nullified the attempt, saying the service was not equivalent to a traditional pay-TV service. That decision was subsequently reaffirmed by the state court.

“States are increasingly looking to raise revenue, but these efforts must be both lawful and not discriminate against any one sector," said Dustin Brighton, vice president of state government affairs for the Internet Association.

The Internet Association has yet to publicly oppose streaming taxes, but would do so if the group disagrees with how a tax is levied, Brighton says.

Some new tax efforts would seek voter approval, but many result from adapting current laws to cover streaming services and digital goods. Lawmakers that have fought them say while revenues may be bolstered, they can backfire on local governments. 

While in the Pennsylvania House, Republican Mike Regan, now a state senator, voted against the law, despite the state's $1.3 billion deficit. He considered it "a tax on millennials" and "short-sighted" because it could dissuade companies that might locate in the state.

Taxpayers and legislators voiced opposition last year when the city of Pasadena discussed applying its city utility user taxes on Net-delivered services such as Netflix. In Pasadena, that would have meant a 9% tax.

Legal challengers to streaming taxes say federal law that prohibits a tax on e-commerce that discriminates against onlineproviders means some of these municipal efforts should be halted. Earlier this year, the Entertainment Software Association, an industry trade group representing video game hardware makers and software publishers, filed a suit challenging the Chicago law, citing the Internet Tax Freedom Act.

Internet taxation became an issue two months ago when President Trump tweeted about Amazon, founded by Jeff Bezos, and The Washington Post, which Bezos paid $250 million for four years ago, accusing "The #AmazonWashingtonPost" of not paying "internet taxes."

There is no "internet tax" but Amazon does collect sales taxes on goods it sells online to buyers in 46 states.

Yet state and local governments, wrestling with slipping tax revenues, recognize many digital sales go un-taxed. As retail tax bases shrink and with more consumers buying online and purchasing digital goods, more states are likely to debate a streaming tax.

"We are at the very beginning of a trend where local governments begin evaluating their policy vis á vis digital taxation,"  said Stephen Kranz, an attorney with McDermott Will & Emery, a Washington-based law firm handling the Entertainment Software Association's case.

when nobody you know IRL even has netflix

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

when nobody you know IRL even has netflix

Same. It just isn't worth it here down under.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

Just now, JaegerB said:

Same. It just isn't worth it here down under.

the only people who i know has netflix is in america

seriously.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That's why there is something magically up here, it's a magically power that's much better than the FCC

it's called the CRTC

CRTC.jpg

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

I thought the GOP wants smaller governments, hence businesses paying less taxes? 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

14 minutes ago, JDE said:

That's why there is something magically up here, it's a magically power that's much better than the FCC

it's called the CRTC

CRTC.jpg

it actually does something yet 

damn you $90/1gb data

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

it actually does something yet 

damn you $90/1gb data

wat

i pay $40 for 1.5GB and 500 minutes with unlimited texting

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

wat

i pay $40 for 1.5GB and 500 minutes with unlimited texting

rogers is like $90 for 1gb data

i pay $50 for 5gb and 1000 minutes with 2500 texts :P 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

rogers is like $90 for 1gb data

i pay $50 for 5gb and 1000 minutes with 2500 texts :P 

rogers has crappy coverage here, but everyone uses it

literally you go 4-5m from the outside or a window and you get "no reception"

me on bell gets 5 bars

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, JDE said:

rogers has crappy coverage here, but everyone uses it

literally you go 4-5m from the outside or a window and you get "no reception"

me on bell gets 5 bars

rogers and bell have crappy coverage here, suprisingly wind has decent coverage but step inside or step outside of the area and you drop to 1 bar and ROAMING!

bell = 3g ,what is lte? 

rogers = lte, but very very bad 3g.

i have rogers because id rather have lte everywhere instead of bell which has 3g everywhere

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I'm really shocked anyone would care about this. It's a small tax like on anything else that is purchased. I mean the government is in a huge debt and there are two ways of solving it. Spend less or tax more. The the honest truth is that both need to be done to reduce the deficit but the chances of that happening are basically 0. Bottom line is paying less than a dollar more for Netflix is not a huge deal and it still is way more affordable and a better value than cable.

19 minutes ago, themctipers said:

rogers and bell have crappy coverage here, suprisingly wind has decent coverage but step inside or step outside of the area and you drop to 1 bar and ROAMING!

bell = 3g ,what is lte? 

rogers = lte, but very very bad 3g.

i have rogers because id rather have lte everywhere instead of bell which has 3g everywhere

bell and telus here = What is 3G? WE HAVE TO ROLL OUT THE NEWEST LTE-A STANDARD THAT CAME OUT IMMEDIATELY

rogers here = roftlol what is lte and 3g? 2g is the best way to connect devices

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

if the country I live in taxes me for using Streaming Services then I'll stop using streaming services and possibly consider taking further action to disassociate myself from those lawmakers.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

This post does not meet the posting guidelines:

Quote the whole or near whole article is plagiarism. And you should explain the news in your own words. Use quote to support or complete what you are saying..