To Vive or not to Vive?

xBlizzDevious

Just saw this news:
http://hexus.net/tech/news/peripherals/109202-htc-vive-gets-substantial-price-cut-799-599-599/

So tempting. I've been wanting a Vive for a while but I'm finding it hard to justify the price - especially having never used one. A couple of weeks ago, I used a PSVR at a friend's house and it was awesome, re-igniting my desire to buy a Vive.
Now I'm twitching over the buy button...

What does everyone think? Take the plunge or wait for the next version (which could be soon)?

Just do it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Go for it. I've had my Vive for quite a while and I still use it from time to time, because the experience is so unique.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

personaly im waiting for gen 2 of VR but haveing played the Vive its really great and this is cheaper then they usiually go used tbh. if you have the PC to power it id say get it because you will probably have a while untill gen 2 launches tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I would personally get Oculus Rift while its cheeper. But thats me.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Considering the price drop, I'd do it. Bought mine at full price, the vive is great for what it is, however looking back now it's not worth what I paid for it. While 599.- is still a lot of money, I think it's a lot easier to justify. As mentioned above, the vive is really unique, my mind was blown when I played to Steam VR tutorial and hit one of the balloons with the controller. I don't want to spoil too much of that experience for you, but it was just mind boggling to me how realistic it felt.

2 minutes ago, Sampsy said:

Don't do it. Everybody I know who has one used it extensively for the first couple of weeks then put it on a shelf where it gathers dust. Even with the discount it's still overpriced and as a first generation product has many imperfections. There still isn't a compelling reason to grab one unless you're massively in to racing games / flight sims and think you would use it regularly. The vast majority of games available in VR are very limited in scope as they are either a developer's little experiment, or a tech showcase, not a fully fledged product you're likely to sink any substantial amount of time into. 

These are the comments I was looking for.

I'm not "massively" into my racing games, but I certainly enjoy my driving games. I have a G27/G29 and use them quite regularly for the likes of Farming Simulator, Euro/American Truck Sim and the odd racing game - Project Cars for example. I'd also be keen to try the experimental things and tech demos just for the experience. Would you think I could justify it?

Note: I know Farming Simulator isn't VR compatible, but I'm pretty sure the other games I mentioned are.

7 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

personaly im waiting for gen 2 of VR but haveing played the Vive its really great and this is cheaper then they usiually go used tbh. if you have the PC to power it id say get it because you will probably have a while untill gen 2 launches tbh

Good to know - I have a 980 Ti to power it so should be good.

7 minutes ago, Mihle said:

I would personally get Oculus Rift while its cheeper. But thats me.

Hmm. What makes you say that?

2 minutes ago, historicalpoultry said:

Considering the price drop, I'd do it. Bought mine at full price, the vive is great for what it is, however looking back now it's not worth what I paid for it. While 599.- is still a lot of money, I think it's a lot easier to justify. As mentioned above, the vive is really unique, my mind was blown when I played to Steam VR tutorial and hit one of the balloons with the controller. I don't want to spoil too much of that experience for you, but it was just mind boggling to me how realistic it felt.

Yeah. The £760 that it normally is is just so much money for something I don't know how much I'll use. £600 is a lot more palatable - though still a significant sum.

4 hours ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Hmm. What makes you say that?

People say Oculus Rift is more comfortable, lighter, and the controllers is more comfortable to hold, at least quite a bit of people. (From those I have seen)

But the biggest difference in my opinion. Oculus Rift is 181 € cheeper, even with a third sensor.
(699€ vs 518€)

You decide yourself..... I just want you to know that Oculus Rift is cheeper, if you didnt know.
Would be bad if you got a product and you saw another product was quite a bit cheaper without you knowing.
If you know and you still go with the more expensive option because reasons you have done read about that is more important for you, then fine.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Quick question about the Vive:

I have 3 DisplayPorts out and 1 x HDMI out (which I use for audio too). I use all ports as I run 3x1080P Nvidia Surround + auxiliary monitor. I do have a DisplayPort hub that I can use but I don't as Nvidia only allows a max of four displays, even if you've got more ports.

Vive obviously needs something to connect to - how would I connect it for best results? And will it allow me to have it as a 5th display that it uses when needed or will I have to unplug a display when I want to use the Vive?