6 year old psu or new one?

Hebekleberg

I am in the process of waiting for my new parts, had to rma the cpu and motherboard, and I was wondering if I need a new psu.  I have an Antec TPQ 1200w psu silver grade, works fine, but it's 6 years old.  I didn't know if I run the risk of damaging parts if it stop working.

Parts list: msi pro carbon x370

Ryzen 1600x

Corsair 780T

Evga 1080ti ftw3

1 128gb ssd

1 1tb had

1 external 3 tb hdd

Sound blaster z sound card

Noctua dh14 heatsink

Corsair ddr4 16gb 3000mhz

Thanks in advance

Good quality PSUs can last decades.

just use the old one. it's good enough AFAIK

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Ok thank you very much, I just didn't want my new parts to fry if it goes on the fritz.

You DO NEED a neew psu if it is 6+ years old. Remember that Haswell introduced new psu requirements. So your older psu might not even boot your new system.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

11 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

You DO NEED a neew psu if it is 6+ years old. Remember that Haswell introduced new psu requirements. So your older psu might not even boot your new system.

the haswell power requirement has to do with the machine going to sleep. Nothing to do with powering it and booting it.

and yeah 6 years isn't very old for a 1200 watt psu it can last 20+ years easy

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

the haswell power requirement has to do with the machine going to sleep. Nothing to do with powering it and booting it.

and yeah 6 years isn't very old for a 1200 watt psu it can last 20+ years easy

Oh so you think C-states only work when the pc is in sleep mode? Have you tried using non-haswell ready psu with a newer system? This is what happens:

By the way, thats my current build. I was using a 700w toughpower( from 2008 I think). I was really naive just like you, and I thought any psu would work. Older PSUs cannot handle the low power draw, so when it drops below 0.5A , the psu thinks the pc is shutting down and it powers off.(newer systems can handle 0.05).

From corsair website:

When an Intel Core (i3, i5, i7) processor is idle, it goes into a sleep state that requires less power than when the CPU is active. Since the motherboard voltage regulation modules that provide power to the CPU gets their power from the power supply's +12V rail, these sleep states can dramatically reduce the load on the power supply's +12V rail.

According to Intel's presentation at IDF, the new Haswell processors enter a sleep state called C7 that can drop processor power usage as low as 0.05A. Even if the sleeping CPU is the only load on the +12V rail, most power supplies can handle a load this low. The potential problem comes up when there is still a substantial load on the power supply's non-primary rails (the +3.3V and +5V). If the load on these non-primary rails are above a certain threshold (which varies by PSU), the +12V can go out of spec (voltages greater than +12.6V). If the +12V is out of spec when the motherboard comes out of the sleep state, the PSU's protection may prevent the PSU from running and will cause the power supply to "latch off". This will require the user to cycle the power on their power supply using the power switch on the back of the unit.

Besides, why would anyone recycle such old parts for a new killer build? The psu is one of the most important things in a system. Doesnt matter if you are on AMD or Intel.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

Well when I built it last night, everything turned on, lights and fans.  The only issue was that the ez debug light was on for cpu, so it wouldn't even post.  So I rma'd both the cpu and mobo.  Waiting on return of parts

33 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

Oh so you think C-states only work when the pc is in sleep mode? Have you tried using non-haswell ready psu with a newer system? This is what happens:

By the way, thats my current build. I was using a 700w toughpower( from 2008 I think). I was really naive just like you, and I thought any psu would work. Older PSUs cannot handle the low power draw, so when it drops below 0.5A , the psu thinks the pc is shutting down and it powers off.(newer systems can handle 0.05).

From corsair website:

Besides, why would anyone recycle such old parts for a new killer build? The psu is one of the most important things in a system. Doesnt matter if you are on AMD or Intel.

I just looked on Antec's website for my psu.  It states it is Haswell ready.  Also I reused "such old parts" because I already spent $1500 on my upgrade, I don't want buy more unless it is necessary.  But thank you for your input, I didn't know about that Haswell requirement on the psu

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I've never heard of a PSU hurting components upon death. Personally, I'd get a new PSU if it's that old

You haven't been around much then.  ;-)

Secondary caps slowly fail allowing way over spec ripple to get through to the PC's components until they blow up.

Also, if a FET or diode blows up, it can often go way out of voltage spec seconds before bursting into flames and take out your PC parts as well.

2 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Good quality PSUs can last decades.

That's a lie.

45 minutes ago, Hebekleberg said:

I just looked on Antec's website for my psu.  It states it is Haswell ready. 

This is true.  It's one of the earliest PSUs on the market to use DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V rails.

2 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That's a lie.

Why?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Why?

They don't last "decades".  Components degrade over time.  Typically the fan won't even last 5 to 10 years before it dies.

"Decade", yes.  If it's a good PSU, rated at 50°C operation with a DBB or FDB fan.  But not "decades".  Not even server PSUs with their fans running at 100% RPM 24/7 will last "decades".

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

This is true.  It's one of the earliest PSUs on the market to use DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V rails.

So in your opinion can this psu last me another few years?

1 hour ago, Hebekleberg said:

So in your opinion can this psu last me another few years?

That PSU is a tank. All 105°C caps.  PWM, DBB fan with rear mounted exhaust.  That PSU could easily last 10 years.