Just now, mrbilky said:

Yep I'm quite fine with the additional cost of my 1800x

G.Skill claims that the IMCs on the X chips are better based on their own testing.  If anyone would know about IMCs, it would be G.Skill.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

I'm not after 4ghz I'm just after above 3.7ghz really. And I know people lie, but i've seen tonnes of videos and screenshots of peope stress testing getting far better results than me.

Get off the air and put it on water you'll see your return for it Ryzen gets pretty thermal when getting up in voltage and clock speed

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

Just now, done12many2 said:

I'd love to see some of the videos.  Do you mind sharing?

Sure, I can't remember the exact videos but pauls hardware, bitwit kyle. A lot of the tech reviewers. In fact i used their videos as guides.

5 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

Get off the air and put it on water you'll see your return for it Ryzen gets pretty thermal when getting up in voltage and clock speed

I'm not happy with using water. It just seems like hassle unfortunatly. But I do believe you that water probaly is better.

Just now, GR412 said:

Sure, I can't remember the exact videos but pauls hardware, bitwit kyle. A lot of the tech reviewers. In fact i used their videos as guides.

Yeah, I've seen all of those.  You rarely see anyone proving their stress test results though.  Especially end users as most aren't as stable as they claim.  While it's not important to be any more stable than it needs to be, it is a shame that a lot of people make up and exaggerate their results. 

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yeah, I've seen all of those.  You rarely see anyone proving their stress test results though.  Especially end users as most aren't as stable as they claim.  While it's not important to be any more stable than it needs to be, it is a shame that a lot of people make up and exaggerate their results. 

Yeah i guess you're right, although i still think i've got a pretty bad 1700. I am now thinking of maybe bumping it up to a 1700x. I'm not sure if thats a waste of money or not.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

Yeah i guess you're right, although i still think i've got a pretty bad 1700. I am now thinking of maybe bumping it up to a 1700x. I'm not sure if thats a waste of money or not.

At this point, if you are going to return what you have, you might as well go for higher binned chips or you run the possibility of the same thing occurring.  

2 hours ago, GR412 said:

Yeah i saw that, but then i saw the vast majority of people getting 3.8 and above with the 1700 easily.

Nah, the average OC for the 1700 is less than 3.9GHz

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1700/

If you want to get 4GHz+, get an 1800X, preferably a binned one.

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1800X/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

5 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

At this point, if you are going to return what you have, you might as well go for higher binned chips or you run the possibility of the same thing occurring.  

Yeah that was my line of thinking, i don't want to mess people around too much.

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nah, the average OC for the 1700 is less than 3.9GHz

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1700/

If you want to get 4GHz+, get an 1800X, preferably a binned one.

http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/ryzen_7_1800X/

Well i was thinking a 1700x, anything 3.8ghz or above i'd be happy with. It's just i'm barely able to maintain 3.7ghz with this 1700 I have now.

3 hours ago, Haeking said:

What I think also might be a factor for ryzen overclocking is a good psu, mine is a platinum rated evga 850 watt and all I needed was 1.375 to get a good overclock of 4.00ghz on the stock cooler. But I would say return that and get a new cpu, so you can get those good over clocks

I am curious how this effects Ryzen, i am on a crap bronze atm since i had to do a quick replacement looking for a new PSU.
Even more so if that helps get a better or more stable overclock

8 hours ago, GR412 said:

I know this is what i mean, everyone else is getting simular results to you.

I think you missed the part in which he changed the cooler and he couldn't get past 3.7 ont he stock cooler, just like you.

It's great that some OC can be achieved even on the stock cooler and all, but the idea that you will hit this CPU's limit in the stock cooler is delusional, I'm afraid.

8 hours ago, CaptainKieseI said:

for me it did..  i cant reach 3.75GHz without overheating on the stock cooler

now i am running 4GHz rock solid

Edit: If you can refund it you should try your luck again tho

which cooler do you have now?

35 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I think you missed the part in which he changed the cooler and he couldn't get past 3.7 ont he stock cooler, just like you.

It's great that some OC can be achieved even on the stock cooler and all, but the idea that you will hit this CPU's limit in the stock cooler is delusional, I'm afraid.

Yeah you're right I misread his comment. Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I could try a Noctua cooler before I refund.

6 hours ago, GR412 said:

which cooler do you have now?

I used the Corsair h100i, the Alpenföhn Atlas and a custom loop.

With all three i was able to get 4GHz

15 hours ago, GR412 said:

Right I'm posting yet another question on the Ryzen 1700. (Hopefully the last)

So I've come to the conclusion that I want to refund my Ryzen 1700. No matter what I do i can't get 3.8ghz stable with Prime 95 or ASUS RealBench.

If the voltage is below 1.375 the PC crashes during stress tests, and if it's 1.375 or above the CPU overheats.  So anything between 1.3 - 1.4 is unstable at 3.8ghz. I've played around with LLC and all sorts but nothing works.

The best I can get is 3.7ghz and thats's a struggle because i have to set the LLC to level 5 else it crashes. Even with a better cooler I really doubt i can do much better.

It looks like i'm one of the very unlucky few according to these stats from the 'silicon lottery'.

Ryzen 7 1700
93% reach 3.8GHz @ 1.376V
70% reach 3.9GHz @ 1.408V
20% reach 4.0GHz @ 1.440V

If you want to see the ram voltage, motherboard, cooler and other important info, check out my other question here, as i go into great detail about my setup and configuration.

So the question is, should i try and return my 1700? Maybe i can try another Ryzen 1700 and maybe get a better overlock, or get my money back. And is this even a good excuse to return it? I bought it off Amazon if you're wondering.

It may seem like i'm just whining which is a reasonable assessment, but i refuse to be fucked over, i don't even mind if I don't win the silicon lottery, i just don't want to lose it. Especially when I see everyone else around me getting 3.8ghz easily with the stock cooler.

(And yes i do understand some people lie, but i've seen the majorty of people achieve 3.8ghz while doing the same stress tests as me)

Your thoughts are greatly appreicated.

Silicon lottery don't use the stock cooler. amd cpus scale with temps so a better cooler will help A lot. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

4 hours ago, CaptainKieseI said:

I used the Corsair h100i, the Alpenföhn Atlas and a custom loop.

With all three i was able to get 4GHz

At what voltage? And you said before you couldn't even do 3.7ghz on the stock cooler right? Thanks for the info.

4 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

Silicon lottery don't use the stock cooler. amd cpus scale with temps so a better cooler will help A lot. 

So you reckon if i got say a Noctua cooler, then i could run at higher clocks with lower voltages than if i did the same clock with the stock cooler?

So like say i wanted to run at 3.8ghz at 1.375 volts with the stock cooler? Using the Noctua cooler i could maybe run 3.8ghz at 1.3 volts for example? Is that how it works?

11 minutes ago, GR412 said:

So you reckon if i got say a Noctua cooler, then i could run at higher clocks with lower voltages than if i did the same clock with the stock cooler?

So like say i wanted to run at 3.8ghz at 1.375 volts with the stock cooler? Using the Noctua cooler i could maybe run 3.8ghz at 1.3 volts for example? Is that how it works?

No but it won't thermal throttle so you can run 1.425v without it overheating. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

12 minutes ago, GR412 said:

At what voltage? And you said before you couldn't even do 3.7ghz on the stock cooler right? Thanks for the info.

i need abaout 1.45V to get it 24h-prime95 stable but 1.375-1.4 is enought for overall stability

on my chip the voltage did not increase the heat output by much but the clock itself did.

for example 3.7 GHz on stock voltage was already at 85-90°C under (prime95)load (stock cooler)

realisticaly speaking though, what difference do you REALLY think it makes if your cpu run 100mhz faster, or even 200mhz...you won't even notice it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

realisticaly speaking though, what difference do you REALLY think it makes if your cpu run 100mhz faster, or even 200mhz...you won't even notice it.

I also wonder why is this myth that any 1700 gets 4ghz easy is coming from? Sure a few big deal YouTubers are saying (and correctly) that for the most part you can OC non-X chips to perform identically to their X counterparts, but in no way they say achieving 4ghz is easy.

Also a few videos here and there, a few shady non proven topic posts claiming and so on are by all means not "every one is getting 4ghz why I no get?" people are super exaggerating numbers, getting 4ghz on the 1700 was never easy (nor it even matters being frank).

OP expectations were based off a wrong assumption.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

I also wonder why is this myth that any 1700 gets 4ghz easy is coming from? Sure a few big deal YouTubers are saying (and correctly) that for the most part you can OC non-X chips to perform identically of their X counterparts, but in no way they say achieving 4ghz is easy.

Also a few videos here and there, a few shady non proven topic posts claiming and so on are by all means not "every one is getting 4ghz why I no get?" people are super exaggerating numbers, getting 4ghz on the 1700 was never easy (nor it even matters being frank).

it was said from the beginning that Ryzen is a poop overclocker...i agree...and 4ghz or not, if you're after powerful cores and high single-threaded performance and clockspeed (like 99% of us should) then look eslewhere...it's not by pushing volts and trying to get there that you'll break world records.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

4 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

No but it won't thermal throttle so you can run 1.425v without it overheating. 

Yeha that makes sense, so really If i wanted to run 3.8ghz at a lower voltage i'd need to go for the 1700x maybe?

4 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

I also wonder why is this myth that any 1700 gets 4ghz easy is coming from? Sure a few big deal YouTubers are saying (and correctly) that for the most part you can OC non-X chips to perform identically to their X counterparts, but in no way they say achieving 4ghz is easy.

Well I never expected 4ghz, but i expected around 3.8ghz, 3.9ghz if was lucky. But i can barely maintain 3.7 (with the stock cooler). And it seems like even getting a better cooler would still not enable me to run 3.8ghz at a lowish (1.3 - 1.375) voltage. I may just go for the 1700x instead. I do still think i just have a bad chip because so many people seem to be getting stability at 3.8ghz on a stress test with just the stock cooler. Thats what it seems anyway.