Ryzen 1700 - Will not pass RealBench stress test at 3.7 ghz

I posted a question yesterday that's very simular to this, in which i was trying to get to 3.9 ghz on my Ryzen 1700. In the end i thought i'd probaly just lost the silicon lottery. So, therefore i've spent most of today trying to get a stable 3.8 ghz overlock, using ASUS's RealBench stress test with the duration at 15 minutes and the memory set at up to 16gb (thats how much ram is in my system). I wasn't able to past the RealBench test at 3.8 ghz. 

I've tried setting the voltage from 1.3 - 1.45 volts, setting the Load Line Calibration from Auto to Level 1 all the way through to Level 5, and setting my G-Skill Flare-X 16gb duel kit from  D.O.C.P 3200 to 2400 default. I've also tried many other little settings here and there, (I can't remember them all). Yet I still can't pass the 15 minute RealBench stress test, at 16gb memory setting without crashing.

Now realising that 3.8 ghz isn't possible to pass on RealBench, I then dialed the core clock down to 3.7 ghz with a reasonable voltage at 1.3 volts. And yet once again, even at 3.7ghz I cannot pass that RealBench stress test (same settings as previously)  Even though this is my first time overclocking this really doesn't seem right to me, it seems like i've lost the silicon lottery x 100. But I won't give up yet.

I will also provide some more information and things I tried, that may help to diagnose the issue:

Motherboard:  ASUS Prime X370-Pro

Ram: GSkill FLare-X 3200mhz 16gb duel kit.

PSU: Corsair RM850 (850watts)

GPU: Geforce GTX 670 (i plan to upgrade this very soon)

• Latest Bios version (currently version 0807 from a usb flash drive)
  • Memtest86 in which I passed which no errors.
  • Disabled the 3200 D.O.C.P profile so the ram runs at the default 2400mhz speed.
  • I did the overlocking in the BIOS and i adjusted the voltage with a + offset, rather than manual. As manual caused the cpu to clock to 1.5 ghz no matter what. ( I corrected that issue by simply using offset instead)
  • I'm using the stock AMD Wraith Spire Cooler, which i plan to upgrade to a Noctua air cooler soon. (I'm not sure if a better cooler would get me stable at 3.7, 3.8 or 3.9ghz
  • And the guide I used to overlock was this video on Youtube from ASUS themselves, i also read discussions on other forums.

What do you guys think? Is this really bad luck, or am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Edited by GR412
Added this: Memtest86 in which I passed which no errors.

Sorry but the Ram OC you did is a little confusing to me. Were you not able to get it up to 3200? 

I know the Infinity fabric is linked to the memory, so getting that as fast as possible could help with a stable 3.9 

2 minutes ago, Dumptaker said:

Sorry but the Ram OC you did is a little confusing to me. Were you not able to get it up to 3200? 

I know the Infinity fabric is linked to the memory, so getting that as fast as possible could help with a stable 3.9 

No i was able to get 3200 mhz fine by using a D.O.C.P profile set to 3200mhz. I just disabled that profile and set the ram to default at 2400, just in case that was causing any issues.

15 minutes ago, Dumptaker said:

So you're saying if i set the ram at 3200 mhz using the D.O.C.P profile that might increase the stability of an overclock? I've only tested with default ram speeds so far.

running memtest will verify if the ram is stable.

Make sure the CPU does not go above 80C and also update your bios as that helps too.

The behaviour you mentioned is either temperature, power or could be bios. Dont forget to up voltage too if needed.

22 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

running memtest will verify if the ram is stable.

Make sure the CPU does not go above 80C and also update your bios as that helps too.

The behaviour you mentioned is either temperature, power or could be bios. Dont forget to up voltage too if needed.

Okay so the bios is already the latest version, I just re-ran the ASUS RealBench stress test for a duration of 15 minutes and the memory set at 16gb. The clock was at 3.7ghz and the voltage 1.3v. I managed to run it for 6 minutes before my PC crashed. And the temperature's ranged from 79 - 81 degrees celsius. And the reason i set my voltage at 1.3v is because nearly every other discussion i've seen have people running 3.8ghz at 1.3 - 1.35 volts. So based on that I would assume 1.3v is more than enough for 3.7ghz.

Also how do you do a 'memtest ' as you said?

2 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

download memtest and put it on a removable media (floppy, cd, usb) and boot from it.

Is it called MemTest86+?

Also what about the other paragraph before i asked about the mem test. What do you think to these results?

memtest86.com . it only tests the ram. it could be your ram isnt stable as you were also stressing ram too. so run this at stock and if your ram passes than use those ram settings.

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

memtest86.com

Thanks, but did you not read the rest of my response? I'll repost it as you seemed to have skipped it twice.

I just want your opinion on this:

Okay so the bios is already the latest version, I just re-ran the ASUS RealBench stress test for a duration of 15 minutes and the memory set at 16gb. The clock was at 3.7ghz and the voltage 1.3v. I managed to run it for 6 minutes before my PC crashed. And the temperature's ranged from 79 - 81 degrees celsius. And the reason i set my voltage at 1.3v is because nearly every other discussion i've seen have people running 3.8ghz at 1.3 - 1.35 volts. So based on that I would assume 1.3v is more than enough for 3.7ghz.

Just now, GR412 said:

Thanks, but did you not read the rest of my response? I'll repost it as you seemed to have skipped it twice.

I just want your opinion on this:

i did read it and found no mention of ram. also your cpu may require additional volts just to be stable. first id check ram is stable at said settings than cpu

1 minute ago, System Error Message said:

i did read it and found no mention of ram. also your cpu may require additional volts just to be stable. first id check ram is stable at said settings than cpu

Okay fair enough, i'll get back to you after a memtest.

1 hour ago, System Error Message said:

Okay, I did a memtest and i passed with no errors. The ram speed was at default (2400), and thats the same spped at which i tried overlocking.

Here is a picture of my results too.

So now we know the memory is stable what's next?

IMG_20170813_212007[1].jpg

Yeah, like Sys error was saying, I'd check the RAM to see if you can get that stable. Also, what's your timing on your RAM? I thought the default on the Flare X was 2939 for the 3200 speed 16gb kit. i think that's supposed to be the baseline with timings at 16, 16, 16, 16, 39.

You'd want to get the 3200 speed with cas latency at 14 14 14 14 34

I never heard of memory test, but I know a lot of guys use the aida64 stress test for memory. Not sure if that's free, but it works. 

Also, are you using the balanced Power Plan for Windows 10? If not here's a link to it:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

Also, be mindful that the R7s add 20 degree temps to your read outs, so things like hardware monitor might show it at 80 when you're really at 60. I guess the idea was to fake out the system to kick up the fans. 

May I just say that if you're stressing a RAM OC, Memtest86 is not the correct program as its not really stressing the RAM. You'd want to use HCI's memtest. 

Anyway, it really does seems like you've lost the silicon lottery as the general consensus seems to say that 1.3V is like the max volts you'd need for 3.7GHz (me included, can get 3.8GHz with 1.3V on my 1700) so...ermmmm...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Dumptaker said:

Yeah, like Sys error was saying, I'd check the RAM to see if you can get that stable. Also, what's your timing on your RAM? I thought the default on the Flare X was 2939 for the 3200 speed 16gb kit. i think that's supposed to be the baseline with timings at 16, 16, 16, 16, 39.

You'd want to get the 3200 speed with cas latency at 14 14 14 14 34

I never heard of memory test, but I know a lot of guys use the aida64 stress test for memory. Not sure if that's free, but it works. 

Also, are you using the balanced Power Plan for Windows 10? If not here's a link to it:

https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

Also, be mindful that the R7s add 20 degree temps to your read outs, so things like hardware monitor might show it at 80 when you're really at 60. I guess the idea was to fake out the system to kick up the fans. 

Yeah I just did a Memtest and passed with no errors.

And with the ram, i've set it to auto in the bios, and that sets the ram to run at 2400mhz with the timings in the picture below:

If I use  D.O.C.P profile the ram would go to to 3200,hz with timings at 14 rather than 16. I can take another screenshot of the ram using D.O.C.P if that would be helpful.

And as far as the powerplan i read somwhere you should use the high performance plan, but i can try the balanced.

cpu-z.png

Thanks for doing the mem test. 

I'd bump up the RAM speed running the CPU at stock. Push the RAM to 3200 at 14 14 14 14 34. If you're stable there, then you know you got your RAM good. THEN gradually bump up your CPU. I seen someone do 3.9ghz at 1.395v. I believe the faster RAM should help with that overclock. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

May I just say that if you're stressing a RAM OC, Memtest86 is not the correct program as its not really stressing the RAM. You'd want to use HCI's memtest. 

Anyway, it really does seems like you've lost the silicon lottery as the general consensus seems to say that 1.3V is like the max volts you'd need for 3.7GHz (me included, can get 3.8GHz with 1.3V on my 1700) so...ermmmm...

Yeah I see that everywhere, most people can get 3.8 easily with 1.3ish. Did you do a stress test wiht your overlock at all?

And as far as the powerplan i read somwhere you should use the high performance plan, but i can try the balanced.

Well, it's a thing to download. Just check out the link - "they say" that it's now being included in the newest update, but I'd just download the power plan profile from the link and pop that into your OS. Apparently it makes a difference. 

6 minutes ago, Dumptaker said:

Thanks for doing the mem test. 

I'd bump up the RAM speed running the CPU at stock. Push the RAM to 3200 at 14 14 14 14 34. If you're stable there, then you know you got your RAM good. THEN gradually bump up your CPU. I seen someone do 3.9ghz at 1.395v. I believe the faster RAM should help with that overclock. 

Okay, i'll try that. Should I also do another memtest at 3200mhz with the timings at 14, with a stock cpu frequency of 3ghz?

Well, my specs are a little different. 

I'm running a 1700 on a B350 prime with 2400 Flare X 16gb, with the RAM at 2666. I was able to get 3.9 with an "offset" of .0375 and I haven't had a crash yet - but I admit I haven't stress tested it yet cause I've been too busy. 

I also haven't aggressively pushed the OC because I'm waiting on my damn AM4 bracket from my Black Rock 3, but I would think that you should be able to get AT LEAST that much of an OC.

1 minute ago, GR412 said:

Okay, i'll try that. Should I also do another memtest at 3200mhz with the timings at 14, with a stock cpu frequency of 3ghz?

Yeah, give that a shot. 

Just now, Dumptaker said:

Yeah, give that a shot. 

Okay, i'll get back to you once it's done, although It might take a while. I'll also download this chipset update you linked.

13 minutes ago, GR412 said:

Yeah I see that everywhere, most people can get 3.8 easily with 1.3ish. Did you do a stress test wiht your overlock at all?

Aida64 so...yeah? :D 

Stressing my 1700 3.9GHz@1.35V right now so...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

Aida64 so...yeah? :D 

Stressing my 1700 3.9GHz@1.35V right now so...

Ahh I see, well thats good for you then. I hope i can eventully get at least 3.8ghz XD.